AOS: Which dinner seating is better?

My apologies, but I moved this over from a previous post. I mixed up my question about flight times and my question about dinner seating times in the same thread, and it got real hard to follow. (I'm out of posting practice, I guess!) Won't happen again!

I have a question regarding the dinner seatings. Our only previous cruise was last summer on the NCL Spirit with the "Freestyle Dining", so we have no experience with timed seatings.

Our friends, who are more experienced cruisers, want to do the late shift at 8:30 so they won't feel rushed. However, the AOS itinerary (this is the one that starts with Barbados) shows that the ship leaves every port at either 5:00 or 5:30 PM. I assume that means you should be back on the ship by 4:30 or 4:45 at the latest. Logically, that should leave over 1 1/2 hours to have a cocktail or two, shower and dress for the 6:15 seating, I would think:confused:?

All four of us agree that we DO want to attend as many of the shows and activities as possible. That being the case, is the earlier seating advisable, or will either seating be OK?

Thanks in advance for any guidance my Fellow CC'ers can provide! What are your experiences with seating times? Are there any advantages to the 6:15 (aside from satisfying your excursion-induced hunger:D ). Do you miss many shows, activities or quests;) if you take the 8:30? If you DO take the 8:30, where's the best place to grab a snack to tide you over?

Thanks for all your knowledge, folks....but this is just the tip of the iceberg! I'll be keeping you all busy in the coming weeks!:)

When we return, I promise to provide a detailed review and to return the favor!:)

As far as seeing as many shows as possible, there are two times for shows so that each dinner seating will have the chance to see the show.

As far as time, that really is a personal preference. We choose the early seating but know that there are many who prefer the late seating.

On the AOS, we had plenty of time to get onboard, change, and get to the 6:00 seating.

I've always preferred the later seating. I like to get back from the beach or shore excursion and relax on the balcony, check my eyelids for perforations by taking a quick nap, wake up refreshed, shower, change and grab a cocktail before dinner. You still get to see the shows. We are able to enjoy the night life on the ship and still have energy the next morning. That little bit of down time in the cabin for a nap or... wink.gif is great.

Eric

We always do the late seating for a few reasons:

1. Time to relax and get all settled from port days

2. Less children (don't get me wrong I love kids, its just less of a hassle)

3. No time restrictions. My wife likes to take her time eating and enjoy the whole experience so its not unusual for dinner to take 2 or so hours. I have heard stories of how some people on the early seating can feel rushed to get out so the late seating can begin.

As for the shows etc. all the production shows do 2 (1 for the early and one for the late). The shipwide gameshows etc. and quests are done later (I think Quest is at like 11:30) so that everyone can participate.

As for snacks etc. I've never really had a problem being hungry after lunch but before dinner. However, there is always the windjammer and the cafe on the royal promenade.

I prefer the early seating because I am a West Coaster (ok AZ is not really coast but when the big one hits, Im on the beach). On days that I will be on shore later I just do meals at the Windjammer.

lgeisz.......When the big one hits, you're on the beach.......that's TOO funny:D . Of course, I'm from NY not CA, so maybe I should just be quiet and absorb the wisdom you folks are sharing. Thanks!!

Rooster

My wife likes to take her time eating and enjoy the whole experience so its not unusual for dinner to take 2 or so hours. I have heard stories of how some people on the early seating can feel rushed to get out so the late seating can begin.

For me that is the single best reason for the late seating. We ended up with great tablemates, and enjoyed their company. It was nice to have to option to hang around. The staff didn't seem to mind.

Archived