Motion in balcony rooms on Pride of Hawaii?

kruise66

Hi. We are staying in a balcony room on the Pride of Hawaii (POH), mid-ship on POH. I was wondering if anyone noticed more motion in the upper decks on this ship? I usually stay on lower levels.

How about the motion in general? I've only done Caribbean cruises, so I wonder about the Pacific Ocean.

Thanks!

Our cabin was midship, deck 10. I don't remember any unusual motion while in the cabin--absolutely loved it.

I will say that we were out on Deck 12 where the pool, hot tubs. slide, etc. are located and on the day we left Kuiai we could not sit out on that deck because the seas where so active. The water was floating out of the pools so they eventually closed them off and everyone found saver areas on the deck.

We ended up going back to our balcony cabin to watch the Napali Coast at sunset. Perfect spot for sunset on the Napali coast. Sunet was very memerable. One of the highlights of the cruise. I was disapponted for those people who planned on viewing the Napali coast from deck 12 that had to move because it was rocking and rolling up there. That is where a port side balcony cabin is prefereed.

Have a great trip.

Our cabin was midship, deck 10. I don't remember any unusual motion while in the cabin--absolutely loved it.

I will say that we were out on Deck 12 where the pool, hot tubs. slide, etc. are located and on the day we left Kuiai we could not sit out on that deck because the seas where so active. The water was floating out of the pools so they eventually closed them off and everyone found saver areas on the deck.

We ended up going back to our balcony cabin to watch the Napali Coast at sunset. Perfect spot for sunset on the Napali coast. Sunet was very memerable. One of the highlights of the cruise. I was disapponted for those people who planned on viewing the Napali coast from deck 12 that had to move because it was rocking and rolling up there. That is where a port side balcony cabin is prefereed.

Have a great trip.

Thanks...good to know. When did you go? Do you usually notice motion on ships?

We have a starboard cabin. They told us when booking that it was better for most of the scenery--so you're not looking at port traffic, etc. I guess we'll have to go on deck for Napali. But I heard either side is OK for the lava flows, since the ship turns???

We have a starboard cabin. They told us when booking that it was better for most of the scenery--so you're not looking at port traffic, etc. I guess we'll have to go on deck for Napali. But I heard either side is OK for the lava flows, since the ship turns???

Either side is fine for the lava flows, but to see Napali from the cabin you'd need a port side one. That's what we had, and I'm so glad we did, because the public decks were packed that afternoon.

I didn't notice much to see on either side at the ports. Most of the ports are industrial ones, so they're not very pretty. :( Then again, we weren't out on the balcony much while we were docked, since we were out on shore enjoying ourselves. Personally, I don't know whether the limited amount of improved scenery while docked is worth missing out on a more private viewing of the Napali coast...

Either side is fine for the lava flows, but to see Napali from the cabin you'd need a port side one. That's what we had, and I'm so glad we did, because the public decks were packed that afternoon.

I didn't notice much to see on either side at the ports. Most of the ports are industrial ones, so they're not very pretty. :( Then again, we weren't out on the balcony much while we were docked, since we were out on shore enjoying ourselves. Personally, I don't know whether the limited amount of improved scenery while docked is worth missing out on a more private viewing of the Napali coast...

• 1 month later...

I am new to this. How do you tell which side of the ship you are on? We just have our confirmation and room number so far for Pride of Hawaii.

The American flagged itineraries that operate only within Hawaii have much less chance of rough seas than all the other cruises that operate on the open ocean (such as all those west coast round trips to hawaii & fanning voyages). Vast majority of cruises should have fairly smooth sailing with some exceptions that I'll talk about.

January is the roughest month, also rougher a couple weeks on either side of it. You can get smooth seas at this time just the odds are worse... Still a (lesser) chance of big swells at other times of the year, you never know...

The roughest night on the 7 day itinerary is often the last night when it leaves Kauai for Oahu. I've done a bunch of Hawaii cruises and that's usually the only night it feels rough at all.

I did one cruise that included kiribati(fanning) 1000 miles away and that was a whole different story, real amusement park ride with green looking passengers. Luckily our family never seems to get sea sick. You can say we had bad luck, but the chances of big seas on the fanning voyages is not so small. Something like a quarter of the time the ship doesn't even tender in to fanning at all due to rough weather. Can you imagine two sea days in each direction to get there, and then you don't even get off!

The Na Pali coast is one of the prettiest things you can see from a cruiseship anywhere, and the American flagged ships are the only ones in the cruise industry that see it.

Enjoy your cruise

We're on PoA in July and am wondering how well we'll see the coast from our balcony. We have an aft balcony on Deck 7. Will we see enough from there or would it be better to go to one of the public decks?

Not sure if I should be concerned. We are bookd on the PoAm in September in a balcony cabin mid-ship on the starboard side (#8134, I think.) We have already made a deposit. Should I start calling my TA to see if we can switch to the port side? Or is it really not a big deal?

It can't hurt to call on ask if there is a cabin available on the opposite side of the ship, same deck level and mid-ship.

Just before we arrived at NaPali coast, we grabbed some burgers from the grill. We enjoyed the views from our balcony without any crowds or extra noise around us. We took lots of great video to share with our adult kids when we got back home. Taking along (2) binoculars was a helpful suggestion from the cc group!

GoldieAZ

Mike,

As the balcony rooms are sold out, is it really that bad being on the starboard side? Didn't even think about the different sides and what we wanted to see. I guess I didn't find cc soon enough. Do you know the sailing route they will take and what coast line we will see? Were going Sept.29th,balcony,starboard side. I've enjoyed you sharing your knowledge with this first time cruiser. Thanks.

Port and Starboard balance out except for the na pali coast. But that's a really huge exception.

See if you can make a reservation for the italian restaurant last night first seating, show up early and beg for a window seat. :) Failing that, try same thing in grand pac ballroom, show up early for the open and ask for port window seat

Thanks, Mike - you always have such great info and tips. I have learned alot so I know my PoAm cruise will be great -

off to call my TA!

Thanks again

Quick Update - sorry to hijack the thread - called my TA and ended up taking a balcony on the port side midship 2 categories up from where we originally booked - and it was for very little xtra money!:D

Thanks again MikeKaye for the great advice!

Archived