Juneau--how late do excursions operate?

kktk

We are going to be there from 2pm-10pm.

The sunset should be around 9:15ish.

How late do the tour operators run these excursions?

If we are planning to do 2 in the day, is there something that we should do in broad daylight v/s around 7-8 pm in the evening?

Hi KKTK: We were there last year in August and my girlfriend and I took 2 whale watching excursions one in the am and one pm. The last one departed at 4pm-ish and we didn't get back to our ship until 8:45pm. I believe it was one of the last ones to get back to the ship. I remember the late time getting back because I was late that evening for dinner and the ship left port shortly after we got onboard. You should have plenty of light and plenty of time to do more than one during the period of time you're in port. We made the mistake of taking 2 whale watching tours - and found out that the late one was just like the first one - different tour operator. Enjoy your time there. We loved the port! :)

The smaller, private operators don't have set schedules and will pretty much operate when the passengers want. I suggest researching and contact some of them (not sure if I'm allowed to throw the names out or not) and ask how late they will go for you.

It depends on when you are going- 9:15pm ish can mean 30 min. of twilight?? When are you going? The last whale watches go out about 6pm with daylight. So you do have time for other touring prior. Key is to be organized and have your plans and necessary reservations in place before you go.

I'm not sure why the above poster would have though the whale watches would have been different??? But I have gone on 2 as well the same day, because my passion is humpbacks. :) Wouldn't really be recommended if you have other interests in the many many wonderful touring opportunities in Juneau.

As mentioned above, contact the operators you're interested in and ask. Some will vary their hours based on daylight and ship schedule, and some will be totally flexible and try to meet your needs depending what else you've got going for the day.

-Case

Case, You always have great suggestions. So, I'll bite and ask what do you do. If you need to email this, let me know, and i'll post my email address.

I own and operate Alaskan Marine Adventures in Juneau.

Actually, right now, the question, "what do I do?" is answered with:

Housekeeping, taking kids to school, and being as helpful as I can here at CC so that many people will want to come visit this amazing part of the world...

-Case

Archived