Can you take wine and soda on Carnival cruise?

Here's the policy, straight from Carnival's web site FAQs.

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine or champagne on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of nonalcoholic beverages. All liquor, excessive quantities of wine and nonalcoholic beverages, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages on board the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship’s gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

We've never had a problem. DH takes a 6 pack. We put them in our bags that we carry onto the ship and never had a problem. Each one is wrapped individually from getting broke. We go to a store the morning before we board.

Always buy foo foo drinks onboard as well...so they get plenty of money from us. Hubby just likes to drink on in the cabin in the late afternoons or just before getting ready for dinner.

You shouldn't have a problem.

Bigsky,

Glad you haven't had any problems and if you carry it on, are not hiding it and don't get busted good for you. I will say, the day is coming when you will not be able to bring it on in any way, means or form. Most of the lines have already cracked down. I also found the response from John interesting: Carnival only charges $10 for corkage fee (lots less than other lines) but charges $14 if you have it corrked in the super club. Explain that one....LOL

Bigsky,

Glad you haven't had any problems and if you carry it on, are not hiding it and don't get busted good for you. I will say, the day is coming when you will not be able to bring it on in any way, means or form. Most of the lines have already cracked down. I also found the response from John interesting: Carnival only charges $10 for corkage fee (lots less than other lines) but charges $14 if you have it corrked in the super club. Explain that one. Maybe the wine steards in the Super club are more experienced so they are entitled to more money. LOL

Carnival only charges $10 for corkage fee (lots less than other lines) but charges $14 if you have it corrked in the super club. Explain that one....LOL

Yeah, isn't that unfair? Why should it matter where you drink the wine? To me, it seems that they're trying to discourage people from bringing their own wine to the Supper Club.

Last summer, I took a collapsible cooler as a carry on bag. I had several cans of soft drinks and several bottles of water. I like to have something to drink when I wake up. The cabin steward kept us in ice. Unless we can find somewhere to buy something before we board the ship this summer, I don't guess we will take anything. We could pack it in the luggage, but I don't figure they will let us carry it on the plane.

I would like to take some Champagne on board.

If I get "caught" and charged the corkage fee, does this mean I can't have the bottle in my cabin. (a drink on the balcony is such fun!)

I have only purchased a bottle of wine on board once. They kept it hidden away and would bring it out and pour a glass for me at dinner. It was really weird and I felt strange that everyone else at my table wasn't also being served. AND besides that I just couldn't get over the fact that I was charged almost 30 bucks for a cheap bottle of wine that I could get on sale for 6 bucks at the grocery store!

On my last trip my travel agent ordered asti spumante and chocolate covered strawberries to my room. I guess I would have been charged a fee had I brought it to the diningroom. I guess alot of people are in for shock the first time they view their bill at the end of a cruise.
No, if your TA had ordered it as a bon voyage gift from the ship you wouldn't have paid any corkage fee. NMnita

I would like to take some Champagne on board.

If I get "caught" and charged the corkage fee, does this mean I can't have the bottle in my cabin. (a drink on the balcony is such fun!)

I have only purchased a bottle of wine on board once. They kept it hidden away and would bring it out and pour a glass for me at dinner. It was really weird and I felt strange that everyone else at my table wasn't also being served. AND besides that I just couldn't get over the fact that I was charged almost 30 bucks for a cheap bottle of wine that I could get on sale for 6 bucks at the grocery store!

wow, a $6 bottle for $30; that is a bigger mark up than usual but yes, the mark up is rediculous. On our HAL cruise we bought serveral bottles while in Ft Lauderdale and brought them on board. Some were 1.5 liters, mostly .750. we were with friends. It was worth it to pay the corkage fee even if we hated it. As for champange or wine, if you drink it in your cabin you do not have to pay the corkage fee and if you do, no they will not convescate it. NMNita

I would like to take some Champagne on board. If I get "caught" and charged the corkage fee, does this mean I can't have the bottle in my cabin. (a drink on the balcony is such fun!)

On Carnival, a corkage fee is charged only if you take the bottle to the dining room. No problem drinking it in your own cabin, or pouring into glasses and taking around the ship.

Next time, just take your own bottle of $6 wine. They don't have a problem with that, and you may or may not be charged a corkage fee; seems to be at the discretion of your waiter. Personally, I've never been charged the fee to have my bottle(s) of wine in the dining room on any Carnival cruise.

On my last trip my travel agent ordered asti spumante and chocolate covered strawberries to my room. I guess I would have been charged a fee had I brought it to the diningroom. I guess alot of people are in for shock the first time they view their bill at the end of a cruise.

No, you would definitely not have been charged corkage if the wine/champagne was sent to you as a gift.

I'm sure some folks ARE shocked at their total bills at the end of a cruise, but on Carnival, you SIGN and are given a copy of each item you are to pay for. Should be no surprises.:)

We always carry on 2 12 packs of soda (for 4 people) and a 6 pack of water. Carnival has never said a word.

However, do be aware that Security may ask you to open your carry on....just to make sure it is not beer. After they look at it, they just flag you on through. It does not always happen...but it can.

My husband and I always bring something on board. They have excellent wines now available in a box and I put it in my luggage (not carry-on) and have never had a problem. I enjoy having a drink on my balcony or while getting ready and we give them plenty of money elsewhere. If they find it and take it away, so be it. We have even purchased in port and took it along thru the scanners and no one has said a word.

I would like to take some Champagne on board. If I get "caught" and charged the corkage fee, does this mean I can't have the bottle in my cabin. (a drink on the balcony is such fun!)

On Carnival, a corkage fee is charged only if you take the bottle to the dining room. No problem drinking it in your own cabin, or pouring into glasses and taking around the ship.

Next time, just take your own bottle of $6 wine. They don't have a problem with that, and you may or may not be charged a corkage fee; seems to be at the discretion of your waiter. Personally, I've never been charged the fee to have my bottle(s) of wine in the dining room on any Carnival cruise.

Well we were told the same thing on HAL, most said they had never been charged the fee: we always were, same on Celebrity. Maybe we just took like we really want to pay. LOL as for drinking in your cabin or taking your drink around the ship, this is one of the reasons so many lines are no longer allowing us to bring any form of liqour on board: drinking in your cabin is one thing, taking a bottle to the dining room is totally acceptable; taking drinks from your cabin to the pool or around the ship is tacky in my view anyway. As for being shocked at the bar bill at the end of the cruise: I have never been on a cruise that didn't give you a receipt after each purchase from the bar or anywhere else. We keep each one: should say DH keeps all of the receipts, I am a little more careless. NMnita

Archived