SuperStar LIBRA

deck 9 001

Still in Party Mode, the smaller pool is festooned with balloons:

689420848_5625a5c367.jpg?v=0

This is the shot that Star Cruises likes to use in advertising Libra. I like it also, so that's why I snapped it.

670638513_2e3a7a5193.jpg?v=0

Obviously this board has a mind of its own, and decided to submit and post before I was finished. Never mind! Let's continue.

One last photo. It is just of the stack/funnel but I like it.

660142001_1278045a68.jpg?v=0

CONCLUSION:

It was a very wonderful day for all guests and for Star Cruises. Words cannot describe the feeling of having a ship back in Keelung. It really has been too long an absence.

Libra is not a brand new ship, and in just a few areas you can tell. In general, from what I saw, the maintenance and upkeep of SuperStar LIBRA is superlative! Everything looks fresh, clean and most inviting. The new carpeting and overall updating during the recent dry-dock really makes Libra "shine".

I love ships and cruising. And now after I have been aboard Libra, even for just a short while though, I really am looking forward to my cruise.

Libra gave me the feeling of being on a "real ship". Not a floating balconied condo or box boat. I love the connection to the sea which Libra has.

Glass everywhere so you can look out and know you are at sea.

I especially like all the glass windows in the Lift Lobbies. In inclement weather, these areas are perfect for sea gazing. Actually the weather doesn't have to be bad to just sit here and relax.

The combination of how fresh the ship looks and the top notch staff and crew who work onboard Libra are absolutely sure to please the Taiwan market. Libra also has many faces. She can be exciting and also subdued.

She can be glamorous and also relaxing and comfy. A perfect combination of traits to put the pax into the mood that she wants them to be in.

Here's wishing SuperStar LIBRA a very successful season in Taiwan, and hoping that next year we will see LIBRA again!

Hope you all enjoyed my little tour and photos.

More to come after my cruise. I'll leave you with my favorite photo.

693984636_22cc149409.jpg?v=0

Ciao for now

Mike

Mike - many thanks for the wonderful pictures of the new look Libra.

She is certainly looking very neat and in good shape for the next batch of cruisers sailing in the Far East.

For those about to board - have a great time and report back with your much appreciated reviews, as I will be checking into this thread for up-dates of the Ports that the SSL is visiting.

Cheers....................and smooth sailing.:p

James:)

Hi James, and thanks again for posting. I sure hope I will not be the only person who will be making comments about their cruise aboard Libra ex-Keelung. It would be fantastic if some other of our CC members were able to get to Taiwan and join Libra for a cruise. I know chances are slim, but there is always hope.

The ports of Naha and Ishigaki in Okinawa Islands are just charming. I have been to them countless times on other Star ships that were homeported here in Taiwan. I am looking forward to visiting these ports yet again later this month when I cruise aboard Libra on the 4D/3N Naha-Ishigaki itinerary. It has been almost 2 years since I have been there, and I am very curious to see what and if any changes have been made at these Islands.

Thanks from me and all other cruisers who will be boarding Libra for a wonderful holiday at sea.

Best,

Mike

Wishing the SuperStar Libra a great season in Taiwan. While her Indian seasons being a bit disappointing the last two years, her second season saw improvements. Maybe a third season will finally fill all of her cruises.

NCL's Dream itineraries end in the Northern Hemisphere fall of 2008. The Norwegian Dream is a sister ship to the Norwegian Wind which has recently started in Hong Kong. Another ship, the Norwegian Majesty, will depart NCL's fleet during 2009-10. It appears two more ships will enter Star Cruises fleet soon, unless one is sold elsewhere. There have been rumors that the Majesty may be sold to Louis Lines based in Greece.

I have sailed on the Norwegian Sea out of Houston. She may not be the newest ship around, I fully enjoyed her as my home for a week.

Hi Mike - thanks for all the wonderful photos. Have a great first of many cruises!

Look forward to hearing what you have to say about the ports - you are tempting us for next year - hopefully Libra will return for another successful season.

Vera

Hi Don Haynes, thanks for your post. It was unfortunate that the India deployment for SuperStar Libra was not as successful as Star Cruises hoped, but you are right in that the second season there did show improvement.

Here in Asia we have also heard the rumor that NCL Majesty may be sold to Louis Cruise Lines. At the moment though, it is still rumor.

It is nice to hear that you were able to call Libra "home" for one week. I am positive that I will be able to do the same, especially with all the staff and crew that I have known for 13 years.

Hoping that one day you Don may be able to take another cruise aboard Libra in this part of the world. Without a doubt you will be charmed with her ambiance and Asian hospitality.

Best,

Mike

Hi again Vera,

You are most welcome! It was my pleasure to post the photos and commentary. Thanks for your good wishes for my "first cruise".

I could tell you about Naha and Okinawa now, but perhaps it will be better for me to wait and see what changes have been made there. This way I will have updated info to write about.

But in the meantime, here are some pics that I took in the harbor area of Naha and Ishigaki on past cruises. Maybe these will entice you even more to join a Libra cruise:D Hope you really can!

699802499_4946e4a4fb.jpg?v=0

699802479_295b5a5cd3.jpg?v=0

699802401_b3d6fdd878.jpg?v=0

699802469_daf4f00088.jpg?v=0

Best,

Mike

Thanks Mike for the review and photos.

I can't say I ever liked this ship in her former life but towards the end of her NCL career she had a major refit and she does look rather nicer now. Her tiny cabins should be adequate for the short cruises she'll undertake.

Congratulations on "your" new ship ;) !

Hi Doug, it was my pleasure to do the photos and comments.

I know very well that NCL Sea was not one of your favorites;) , but indeed Libra does look much nicer now than before.

Not much we can do about the cabins, but as you say, they should be more than adequate for the itineraries being performed. At least there is decent storage space in them.

Thanks for your post.

Best,

Mike

Mike - don't tempt me with those beautiful blue skies - we've had nothing but cold, wet, windy weather here! So what have I done - yes, booked the Gemini Bali/Fremantle in November - I think that will keep me going through winter!

Vera

Congrats Vera on your new booking with Gemini. You're sure to love it.

You guys really have been having some horrendous weather lately. Hope it eases up now, but on the other hand, it is very welcome in the drought stricken areas of Australia. Hope it all balances out and your weather turns fine again soon.

Best,

Mike

Just got off the Gemini and spoke to a Mr Hussain ( if I remember the name correctly ) who was the hotel manager of the Libra before relocating to Taiwan. Mike, you would like to know that he said the the cruising season in Taiwan may be extended depending on the booking and it is unlikely that the Libra will return to India because of red tape, corruption, custom problems,etc.

Spoke to the staff captain of the Gemini and he said that the vibration is due to the "cavition" of the ships propellers and you get that even on the newer ships like the Virgo. Not much can be done and I have seen the plates rattling in the 12 floor restuarant. Just a side advice, avoid the aft cabin if you can.

That's bad news for India, but red tape, corruption, and custom problems can be fixed.

Cavitation occurs with all ship propellers. Here's are good links explaining it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cavitation.htm

Simply, a ship's propeller is a basic water pump, pumping water through it which causes forces created by different water pressures on either side of the propeller to move the ship. Bubbles (voids) are formed on the side with the lower pressure, as the water vaporizes (water boils at different temperature at different pressures). Almost immediately, the bubbles wish to collapse, when they do they create forces sufficent to erode the propeller, cause vibrations and noises. Over time, as the propeller erodes, it becomes unbalanced, and more vibrations and noise is heard.

So, it is normal to feel vibrations from the ship's propellers. As the propeller ages, it's normal for vibrations to increase. Eventually, the vibrations will get strong enough that shipowners will consider replacing the propeller. When they do, vibration levels will decrease, but will return as the new propeller ages.

I know very well that NCL Sea was not one of your favorites;) , but indeed Libra does look much nicer now than before.

Yes... In her original incarnation (I'm not sure how many here remember that) she was really an ugly ship inside. Now she looks a bit bland but certainly not bad.

Hi Doug, as I said in my comments of the Inaugural Ceremony, there was not enough time to see all the public rooms. But I shall certainly explore every inch of the Libra when I am aboard for my first cruise. I'll check all, and see if the recent dry-dock has "un-blanded":D some of the rooms.

Mike

some very surprising information have reached me, I cant confirm its validity as time passes though

The lady will remain in Taiwan for another month before embarking on a relocation cruise to Singapore(arriving early december) then sail to Port Klang(or somewhere in the region) which will be its homeport.

The Libra will sail from Port Klang to destinations e.g. Phuket and Singapore(definitely more ports, but I have no info here) till february when either Singapore will be dropped as one of her port OR, she will have a new homeport

Information as accurate as possibly could be now(4 July '07)

One more month for you Mike! Cheers!

Hi Justine, good to hear from you on this thread.

Yes I am surely looking forward to my first cruise aboard Libra. A new ship experience is always exciting.

Star unfortunately does not release their new itineraries too far in advance. It has been this way with them since the beginning. Just hang in a little longer and you will see the new itins listed.

Best,

Mike

Star need to get their Asian itineraries out for the balance of 2008 or they will lose a lot of potential Australian bookings as everyone else in the industry has itineraries out to at least end of 2008 and some even into 2009 .

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two publicity photos from the shows that are featured onboard SuperStar Libra. These shows are produced by Star Cruises.

Looking forward to seeing them next week.

"Music Box"

806807047_a54b6c5bff.jpg?v=0

"Gypsy"

806796539_2a75f078ee.jpg?v=0

Photos courtesy Star Cruises.

Gypsy was on board SS GEMINI 20/05 ex Singapore to Hong Kong. Dancers from Brazil and corny Gypsy love lust thing with a wagon wheel they kept spinning . Storyline was pretty thin, and after 20 minutes of dancing it was a bit boring - only relieved by excellent Chinese acrobats .

I have to agree with you that all the Chinese Acrobatic Troupes onboard Star Cruises ships are excellent. I do enjoy them.

I remember during one cruise, there were two fabulous, highly skilled acrobats from Belarus, Yura and Denise, called the " Power Duo". They put on a great performance.

808578232_e3d67ec96d.jpg?v=0

Archived