Help with black sand beaches

BeachLuvrBC

I have to go to a black sand beach! We'll be on POAm in April, I would love some help findng the accessible black sand beaches. I saw Punalu'u on the boards, but guide books give no info. I would love to know which black sand beaches are accessible via rental cars, distances from ports, and any other details. We are more swimmers (actually more like soakers) than snorkelers. This is something I have to do!! I appreciate as much info as possible. These boards have been soooo helpful!

Punalu'u is about 65 miles south of Kona, or about 58 miles west of Hilo. Take your pick. IMO if it's something you "must" do, then do it from Kona, becaue the volcano is often a day-long MUST DO on the Hilo side - but some folks zip down the rather fast and straight two-lane road from the Kilauea summit to Punalu'u and back and still enjoy the volcano. To each his/her own.

It's not a great swimming beach. The water can be cold from upwelling fresh water, and there is no reef offshore to stem the waves. The neatest thing about it - other than it's a black sand beach! - are the sea turtles. You're almost bound to see some. I've seen as many as 8 or 9 at once, especially along the breakwater/old pier on the east side of the beach. Don't approach them, either on shore or in the water. They have eight inch poisonous fangs!!! (Well, no they don't. But they are protected. Leave 'em alone, and enjoy 'em from a distance.):)

There are other black sand beaches on the Big Island, but none as accessible or IMO attractive as this one. See the Hawaii - The Big Island Revealed book for the best descriptions of all beaches on the big island that I've seen.

There is a black sand beach on the road to Hana Maui. But take the 2nd, road, the first is all mud and not paved, the 2nd one is. Keep looking during the drive, it's at a bay and can be seen from up above the from the road.

The best black sand beach on Maui is, IMHO, at Wainapanapa State Park located on the Road to Hana just before you get to the town of Hana. Look for the park sign and the road goes off to the left. It is just GORGEOUS and as with all of Hawaii's State Parks - free! There is an awesome lava tube right on the beach there as well as a couple blow holes and cool rock arches and other features as well as some archeological sites to explore. WELL WORTH the stop! Oh yes, and a guy had a truck there last summer with some great Shave Ices for sale! There was another black sand beach visible early on the Road to Hana trip, but not near as picturesque as Wainapanapa. I went wading at the beach there, and saw some folks swimming (and/or soaking!) there as well, but we spent most of our time snapping photos and exploring the beach area.

Thanks for the help. I'm very concerned about making such a long trip and getting back to the ship in time. Has anyone done the NCL SE Black Sand Snorkel and Beach? It sounds pretty good, I could use some feedback.

Hi BeachLuvrBC. I am interested in this tour also. (started a thread of my own, before I found yours, but no response yet) Here is a description of the excursion:

Upon arrival at Anaechoomalu Bay, your experienced crew will greet you and lead you aboard a world-class sailing catamaran for a once-in-a lifetime journey to the secluded coral gardens of the Kohala Coast. Our experienced Captains will take you to a remote black sand beach. Join our knowledgeable guides for a personalized tour of the reef, encountering unique tropical fish, and perhaps an endangered green sea turtle. When you are back on the catamaran, enjoy cold drinks as you set sail back to the bay. Upon your return to Anaechoomalu Bay, you will have time to enjoy kayaking, hydro-biking or just relax on the beach. A boxed lunch is included.

Hopefully someone out there has done this tour and can give some feedback. :)

P.S. I hope you don't mind me piggybacking your thread. :o

The best black sand beach on Maui is, IMHO, at Wainapanapa State Park located on the Road to Hana just before you get to the town of Hana. Look for the park sign and the road goes off to the left. It is just GORGEOUS and as with all of Hawaii's State Parks - free! There is an awesome lava tube right on the beach there as well as a couple blow holes and cool rock arches and other features as well as some archeological sites to explore. WELL WORTH the stop! Oh yes, and a guy had a truck there last summer with some great Shave Ices for sale! There was another black sand beach visible early on the Road to Hana trip, but not near as picturesque as Wainapanapa. I went wading at the beach there, and saw some folks swimming (and/or soaking!) there as well, but we spent most of our time snapping photos and exploring the beach area.

Definitely!

beachchick

Thank you all for your suggestions. I haven't made a decision yet...need a little more info. I had already ruled out the Road to Hana, because I'm traveling with kids and don't want to stick them in a car too long (the 11 hour nonstop flight might make them revolt to start with). Punalu'u sounds great if it is 65 miles south of Kona, how much time would that take? I'm seriously considering the Black Sand Snorkel excursion...a catamaran would be more fun than a minivan :) . I hope someone who has done that excursion can give me some more info and their opinion. It's like 15 degrees here, so right now a sand road anywhere warm sounds great!

TamIam...we'll be cruising the same time...I'm on POAm 4/7.

Archived