dining room only, no chops or portofino's

A&S

It seems to me most (not all) of the posters who advise staying in the dining room only are the ones who've never gone to Chops or Portofino. Since you have not been, I don't really see how you can give this topic a subjective answer.

There is no way I'd eat in the dining room every night. When I"m with my husband of 40 years, I want some date-nights. I want something better than dining room food. I want something a bit romantic, too. I want something special that has been cooked for ME the way I ordered it....and I find it in the alternate dining venues.

On our upcoming 14 night cruise, we plan to eat in Chops/Portofino at least 3 times EACH. I am a believer!!

Hi Fellow cruiser: I agree with the resturant husband for the must part. We have eaten in most alternative resturants on Princess,Royal caribbean, Carnival & Norwegian( forgot about celebrity but can't remember. Can recall when some first started ,like on Norwegian when it was $5.00 them steadily increased.Often you can't even get the reservation unless you jump on them the first day or get a cancelation.Yes the steak may be a little better,lobster tail may be a little larger, but you somehow make it through the breafast,lunches,and regular dinners the rest of the time. Frankly after a couple days the food seems to run together. I enjoy crusing and with the ones we have taken I can only recall maybe a couple times I was not satified with the service or food in the dinning room. I guess it all depends on you wallet.priorities,table company ,occasion, and a few more but it really bothers me that the trend is moving that way in many ways other than just these resturants.Johhnny rockets use to be free, then free to crown & anchor . Well have a great cruise and im sure you will get a great meal in each. Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida:) :) :)

It seems to me most (not all) of the posters who advise staying in the dining room only are the ones who've never gone to Chops or Portofino. Since you have not been, I don't really see how you can give this topic a subjective answer.

Well, I think it's a valid perspective. If you've never tried it *but you don't feel bad about it*, it means that one CAN miss eating at the speciality places without it ruining your cruise experience. :)

For us it was pure finances, as well as the more complicated "getting our money's worth". We're (ovo-lacto) vegetarians, and I looked at the menus, and couldn't imagine that the meal would be worth it. I had a dinner at a land restaurant once that was delicious, but it was veggies, pasta, and parmesan (very very excellent and high-end ingredients and preparation, all of it), but it was something like $30 for the dish. It's been almost 7 years, and I'm STILL annoyed that it cost so much! :) That dinner is where hubby and I met, so THAT part of it was worth it, but the meal wasn't (even though it was incredibly delicious), LOL.

Not that the OP's hubby is veggie like we are, but if someone doesn't see the value, then it's just not likely to be worth it to them.

Just looked at the posted menu...ugh, eggplant. I had more eggplant on Radiance than I'd ever had before. I'm sure their eggplant roulades are lovely, but two plates of it, even including dessert, wouldn't be worth 40 plus tip to us. Not enough value in it. :)

But that's just my opinion. We didn't try it, and it didn't ruin the cruise; just the opposite, if we HAD tried it, I'd likely *still* be annoyed at the cost for yet another piece of eggplant! lol

Thanks for asking. We had no damage. Sister in law a few shingle and broken window. Two of our friends lost everthing. all windows blown out,roofs torn off. Mostly all damages occurred in newer south side from villages of Poinceanna to Mallory and Caroline. Told us today was at least a cat 3. say about 1200 homes but is a lot more. The Villages inc is great though, have lots of crews out covering residences both occupied and not with no charge

I wish they had Chops on every ship :D

When we cruised with my parents, three sisters and their husbands in October they really didn't want to leave the main dining room because the food and service was wonderful, however we made them ;) After we ate the appetizers they all changed their mind, even more so after the main course. To us it is worth every dollar! And yes we tip based on what a similar meal would cost us at a fine restaurant.

###

The point was not that Chops or Portofinos are not wonderful options..and who ever wants to go should...BUT her husband DOES NOT want to go. This is their FIRST cruise. Take things as they come. Why start an argument before even getting on the ship!

They should go, experience the dining room and see what happens. The OP having never even been on a cruise before, after reading these boards got the impression that everybody goes to the alternate restuarants. Well not everybody does and frankly its just not worth having an arguement over.

!!

The issue is not so much whether going to one of the alternate dining rooms such as Chops or Potofino's is worth it. It has nothing to do with having been there or not having been there. It has to do with the OP's statement that her husband does NOT want to go. He wants to experience the main dining room since this is his FIRST cruise. He has a valid view point that has nothing to do with whether we as posters have ever been to CHops or Portofinos' before. No one has stated that these dining options are not very good and it is nice that they are options. BUT frankly its not worth having an arguement over. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't want to go. His view point of not wanting to go has nothing to do with whether some of us posters have been to the alternate dining or not.

Archived