Do You REALLY Care about your Cabin???

I have to admit, I think it matters. All things being perfect, get a cabin with a balcony. It's such a nice touch. As many have mentioned, it's a bit more costly but there is just something special about sitting outside in your own private world watching the sun rise or sun set and listening to the ocean.

Again, all things being perfect, I would try to pick something mid-ship as there is a bit less rocking up and down there. Unless you dig that sort of thing!

DGW

I love having a balcony, so much so that I'd probably book a different cruise if there wasn't one available. Obvious exceptions that come to mind would be Windstar, where there are none, or the Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos Islands where you're never on the ship, never mind in your cabin! But for any given itinerary, I can find a ship that suits my preferences and budget.

I like having the extra space of the JS over a D- or E- category cabin. As another poster said, we just get along better if we have more space. Nothing tangible, just an overall better experience when we're not constantly bumping into each other.

As for bragging, I try not to discuss what I paid for a cabin, so generally nobody will know whether I booked when the cruise first came out (cheapest time, usually), booked last minute paying a premium, got a C&A/military/residency/senior/martian discount, was visited by the upgrade fairy, etc.

The cabin matters to me. My first two cabins were balconies. Did an interior on our last cruise and it was awful for us. I doubt I'd ever go interior again. Too cavernous and cramped. If it meant one cruise a month or something crazy like that, I'd go interior in a heartbeat! But we only take 2-3 vacations a year and only one is a cruise this year so we think a balcony is best.

Does it matter? Not for me so much. I believe each has their pros and cons.

Love the fact that insides, turn the lights off anytime of the cruise, and it's night time dark. Great napping. Also the inside has less movement (scientific fact, the closer you are to the middle of the ship, either front to back or left to right side) you will have less actual movement. That's a plus to most people. Don't like the fact that you have to either turn on the tv, or actually go outside, to see what the weathers like.

Love the fact that an outside room offers some awesome views. Can be very relaxing. On the flip side of the coin, I hated it when I slung open the curtains to view a wonderful warehouse/dock in St. Thomas (very first port of call on our very first cruise). So imagine that some of the times, when you dock at your port, you get to view a warehouse and other times you get a wonderful view, either of the water or the port of call. It's give and take. Please just realize that sometimes the view isn't so wonderful Love the fact that you can open the sliders, enjoy a breeze, very relaxing!

So in the grand scheme of things. I'm just glad to be cruising. There's pro's and con's to each (more than I've listed). I'll never turn either down.

Everyother DH

The cabin and location is very important to us and we do book very early to get exactly what we want and that's a JS midship deck 10 portside. We enjoy both our cabin and the ship and to us it's worth it. But people choose different catagories and locations for different reasons and that's why there are many to choose from! ;)

<Sigh> The question was asked and answered in numerous ways! There was no need for the "cheap and poor" comments! And GoBlue's comments were great!

I don't think the general concenus was that those of us who choose bigger rooms don't leave them. We just like the room that we like. Just as those who like the insides like them! I choose to cruise because that's what I want to do. We spend the money on the cabin because we like too. What's it to you where we go or why we go there? I just don't understand your question?

If my other post were read you will see that I was responding to other comments that were made on the subject, you will also see that I said "I can care less what people do with their money"...When the subject was asked would any still cruise if they could not get a particular cruise most said NO...Also if you read my last statements when I was discussing with "rsscaptain" I said that I am playing devils advocate. Being a forum, it is good to read the view of each person individually but too many people seemed to be riding the coatails of the majority..

I never stated that comment about class, income, or anything remotely close to that. My comments were strickly in response to others.. I asked please explain the differences in rooms besides the obvious "the rooms are bigger and the balconly was bigger". Some other cruisers took it to the level of discussing class and finaces which brought up follow up questions!!! again being a FORUM/DISCUSSION board the question came to be asked why would one spend that much on a RS/JS then if they are not leaving the room as much?? Again not caring about how people spend there money but it was starting to go in the direction that if you are not in the most expensive room then you are not enjoying your cruise and you are not on my level!!! Some people took it to heart and some kindly provided explainations. There are others when you ask for an explaination of their comments turn deffensive and some were plain "offensive". So for those you who got your feelings hurt cause I spoke my mind and asked questions, then so be it, but as long as there is a message board I will continue to ask the questions that some may only think about asking and not care whos feelings are hurt.

Hey RSS!! How are you buddy?? the above reply was not directed towards you just me being a trouble maker again I no your not one to take these to heart

LOL I'm fine buddy! I'm just sitting here in the corner rocking back and forth. :p Iv'e said my thoughts, there it be! :D

Hey there Critterchick, where can I get one of those Martain discounts? ;)

Yes, the cabin location type and location is important to us! I love a balcony cabin and probably would not cruise if I could not get (nor afford one) at the time. To me, the balcony is totally a part of my vacation!

As far as location, I prefer the aft section of the ship. My favorite area is middle of the ship to the back.

happy cruising!

Esmerelda

Yes, the cabin location type and location is important to us! I love a balcony cabin and probably would not cruise if I could not get (nor afford one) at the time. To me, the balcony is totally a part of my vacation!

As far as location, I prefer the aft section of the ship. My favorite area is middle of the ship to the back.

happy cruising!

Esmerelda

Archived