Oriana Reflagged!

Druke I

According to World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society's Bill Miller, Oriana has been reflagged to Bermuda. Apparently this is being done to facilitate the "on board" weddings, which were not recognized while under British registry!

WOCLS indicates Artemis, Arcadia, and the new Ventura also will be Bermuda

flagged - no mention of Aurora.

According to World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society's Bill Miller, Oriana has been reflagged to Bermuda. Apparently this is being done to facilitate the "on board" weddings, which were not recognized while under British registry!

WOCLS indicates Artemis, Arcadia, and the new Ventura also will be Bermuda

flagged - no mention of Aurora.

Disgusting! :eek:

I definitely agree with UKfamily.

It is disgusting that weddings are not recognized while under British registry!

Regards

Cb

No!!! No!!! I meant....that I (personallllllly speaking) don't like weddings at sea...and I like to see the word "London" under the name of the ship, am I wrong in thinking that this will now change to "Bermuda" (and I know Bermuda must be very nice and all that...but it isn't London is it?!).;)

I definitely agree with UKfamily.

It is disgusting that weddings are not recognized while under British registry!

Regards

Cb

No!, No! CB! - I meant that it is disgusting that weddings will be allowed!! ...am I right in thinking that now on the ship it will read "Oriana (or whatever ship) then Bermuda underneath instead of London?...I know Bermuda must be a very nice place and all that, but it's not London is it?..

It's just one of my gripes about allowing weddings at sea....actually even worse than weddings at sea are vow renewals....just don't get me started on that one!!!

Cheers:p

Apparently this is being done to facilitate the "on board" weddings, which were not recognized while under British registry!
This is the same reason why Princess ships are now on the Bermuda register. Bermudian law allows weddings on ships, UK law doesn't. So it was unfortunately only a matter of time.

Now, what about Cunard ... ;) :p

This is totally stupid and another example of the lack of joined up thinking on the part of the government. You can get married just about anywhere in the UK these days thanks to changes in the law, so why not on a ship?? Maybe it will take a threat to transfer Cunard to Bermuda for them to wake up. The only good thing is the ships will still fly the Red Ensign!!

Regards

Richardj

I totally sympathise with the posters regarding the 're-badging' of any P&O vessel. I am Pro-Brit, as any Brit should be. I am also however, realistic (the days of the Realm are, I'm sorry, long gone).

However, it is 'a fact of life'. P&O are owned by an American company and as such, it's up to them.:(

I have a very important cruise coming up. My first. To celebrate 25 years of marriage. I looked firstly to P&O (I fancied the idea of streamers and a band, off of Southampton). The itinerary did not suit (it was time critical), so I chose Princess (And am very happy with that), 'Sister' company to P&O.

Let's be real. Both P&O and Princess are owned by Carnival Corp.

Like it or loathe it.

As long as P&O earns money from UK (style) passengers, it's safe in it's format. If that changes... so does P&O! :eek: (Look at the current designs for vessels and ask the question!).

Kernel

I totally sympathise with the posters regarding the 're-badging' of any P&O vessel. I am Pro-Brit, as any Brit should be. I am also however, realistic (the days of the Realm are, I'm sorry, long gone).

However, it is 'a fact of life'. P&O are owned by an American company and as such, it's up to them.:(

I have a very important cruise coming up. My first. To celebrate 25 years of marriage. I looked firstly to P&O (I fancied the idea of streamers and a band, off of Southampton). The itinerary did not suit (it was time critical), so I chose Princess (And am very happy with that), 'Sister' company to P&O.

Like it or loathe it.

As long as P&O earns money from UK (style) passengers, it's safe in it's format. If that changes... so does P&O! :eek: (Look at the current designs for vessels and ask the question!).

Kernel

I know what your'e saying Kernel - just sad though..:(

PS - Hope you have a lovely Silver Wedding Cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Like it or loathe it.

Kernel

P&O-Princess was flagging vessels in Bermuda LONG before they were purchased by Carnival Corp.

(I fancied the idea of streamers and a band, off of Southampton). The itinerary did not suit (it was time critical), so I chose Princess (And am very happy with that), 'Sister' company to P&O.

Sorry to say that No more streamers when departing Southampton, they give the excuse that it is not environmentally freiendly. Costs more like!!

The band is still there, at the moment, but don't hold your breath.

Archived