Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

I don't know if this is right for me or not. What exactly is this? Is it like a lapband? How invasive was it?

Different that lapband... They don't put something in you.. They reduce the size of your stomach. It's surgery, but comparable to something like a gallblabber or appendix surgery. Something you would definitely want to consult a dr on.

If you LOVE chocolate...do NOT watch the newest Starbucks commercial!:p That is sooo decadent! Well, it just may send you running for a dark chocolate goodie...as long as it is DARK & lowcarb you may escape unscathed!

I am happy my new 'extractor' has arrived & I am trying out some new smoothies. That thing will pulverize whatever I put in it - sooo yummy! I am trying to figure out the best lowcarb recipes...think cabbage, kale, spinach, other greens going in first, then add other goodies...I am actually feeling better...I'll take whatever I can get! (even DH who only half-heartedly l/c's asked for one for breakfast this morning:))

I don't know if it has been mentioned here in a while, but there is a good motivational website - SugarFreeSheila dot com with FAQ's, some recipes, & other advice for the 'Atkins groupies' ...I check in ever so often...

Here is one more thing - has anyone else seen the yummy sounding recipe for the baked egg in the avocado half? I'll see if I can hunt up the details & post later...

Cerabella.... Since I am a full moon zombie tonight... I'm up watching the Nutribullet commercial... And thinking of you !

:p:p:D:D;);)

There has been a full moon Nutribullet watching zombie sighting!! Or maybe it was the elusive Big Foot...or perhaps the mysterious long time Atkins friend... NMCruzzin!!

Cerabella!! LOL! So... Come on.. Your favorite Nutri recipe !!?? Now, you have a LOT of fresh veggies and herbs - at your finger tips- so you have lots to try!!

My allergy season has kicked into gear! Grr!! To early!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my favorite snacks is a few chicken wings. 3 or 4 ... can just curb my tummy saying it's time to have something sweet! ... If you eat wings... What kind are your favorite? Do you make your own? How do you make them? Oven, fryer or grill?

Spring is coming...really it is!

Hey MsJean! So good to see you posting again! Hope all is well in your neck of the 'woods' even having to fight allergies! I stood in Sams today for quite a while just looking @ the chicken wings & thinking...'hmmm...now I know Jean would be loading up for some serious snacking', but I have just never been much of a wing fan...too much effort for such a little reward...Ha!:p

However, I am just 'nutri-blasting' away! I have been able to get fresh mint from the greenhouse as well as some spinach planted this fall, but other than that - well, everything else's store-bought...I have seed packets of kale, cilantro, chives, lettuce spinach & beets to plant soon...

We had a day or two of warm weather & DH grilled shrimp! To die for!, & I made 'mock mash' cauliflower. It was cold today, tho & I pan seared some salmon & roasted a mix of veggies...food, food, food...do we live to eat, or eat to live? Sometimes I wonder about myself...:confused:

Yikes!!! So much good chatter and I hope I didn't scare anyone away!! Come Back! :)

So, I've been doing very well for 3 weeks.. Weekend conference and Bam! I'm sitting all day and feeling everything s l o w down... BOO!!! If I can get through the next 24hours ... I should be back on track!

Cerabella.. I have my seeds all sorted out and after this last burst of rain/snow... I'm going to get my little Greenhouse plants started for this summer... I do an early group... Then another group about 4 weeks apart... Digging in the dirt... Spring fever!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feeling frustrated. I think I'm following this well and I've worked out for 52 days in a row and only lost 3 pounds in Feb. According to the strips I don't seem to be in ketosis. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can you give a sample menu of what you eat? And don't get too caught up in the keto strips. If you're drinking lots of water, they don't alway turn color.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Amanda I usually have a low carb breakfast bowl with an extra piece of sausage from Hardee's and a large coffee with two splenda's for breakfast,

An Atkins frozen meal for lunch, water with mio throughout the day, sometimes an Atkins candy bar for a snack and usually something low carb for dinner. I don't think I'm staying under 20 but it's not much more. I have exercised every day for 52 days so I know I'm gaining muscle and losing fat...just frustratingly slow.

Michelle,

That is not something that I had considered. Are there guidelines of how much to eat? I am sure that I am getting at least 20 carbs most days (probably more like 20-30), but is there some other parameter that I should be taking into account?

Even though I only lost 3 pounds in February, there is a marked difference in how I feel and look. So, overall, it's a good thing, but I would really like to drop some more weight before we sail away on Allure at the end of April!

I think you also have to keep a minimum calorie intake at a reasonable level so your body does not go into starvation mode.

Since you have added exercise your body is burning even more calories.

Also, how close are you to your goal weight? Those last 20lbs can be the slowest to come off.

I adjust my calorie intake with every 30lbs I lose. For example, when I started at 250 (ugh, it hurts to even say that) my first goal was 220 and to get there I ate 20-25 carbs a day and 2200 calories. After that my goal was 190 and i kept the 20-25 carbs but dropped my calories to 1900. Then I was able to exercise and I would do cardio burning 300 calories a day pluse weights every other day, so I found that when I initially dropped to 1600 calories a day i was not losing as steady as before and I think it was because my metabolism was getting sluggish. Once I increased to 1800 a day I was back on track!

Basic formula I use is calories = 10 times my next goal weight plus 1/2 calories burned while exercising.

I hope this helps :)

I think you also have to keep a minimum calorie intake at a reasonable level so your body does not go into starvation mode.

Since you have added exercise your body is burning even more calories.

Also, how close are you to your goal weight? Those last 20lbs can be the slowest to come off.

I adjust my calorie intake with every 30lbs I lose. For example, when I started at 250 (ugh, it hurts to even say that) my first goal was 220 and to get there I ate 20-25 carbs a day and 2200 calories. After that my goal was 190 and i kept the 20-25 carbs but dropped my calories to 1900. Then I was able to exercise and I would do cardio burning 300 calories a day pluse weights every other day, so I found that when I initially dropped to 1600 calories a day i was not losing as steady as before and I think it was because my metabolism was getting sluggish. Once I increased to 1800 a day I was back on track!

Basic formula I use is calories = 10 times my next goal weight plus 1/2 calories burned while exercising.

I hope this helps :)

That's awesome thanks!!!! I knew I would get some helpful feedback on this board!!

I think you need to add more fat into your diet and use less artificial sweeteners. Those can stall or slow weight big time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I was wondering if the Mio & Splenda might be issues. I thought Splenda was ok (at least I think I remember reading that in one of Dr. Atkins' books). I will have to try and cut back on that (I really hate plain water :(). I will also try adding some avocado to my salads to increase my fat intake.

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. It helps to hear from people in the know!! :)

Amanda I usually have a low carb breakfast bowl with an extra piece of sausage from Hardee's and a large coffee with two splenda's for breakfast,

An Atkins frozen meal for lunch, water with mio throughout the day, sometimes an Atkins candy bar for a snack and usually something low carb for dinner. I don't think I'm staying under 20 but it's not much more. I have exercised every day for 52 days so I know I'm gaining muscle and losing fat...just frustratingly slow.

You really need to stop eating the Atkins meals and bars. Even though the name says Atkins they aren't going to help you lose weight!

I've lost 45 pounds since the end of last year, 25 of it this year following Atkins. I have about 50 more to go. I lose best when I eat basic things like hamburger patties, steaks, chicken or fish. I always pair my meat with a big salad with ranch dressing. I don't see any veggies for you. Make sure you are eating your veggies! Once in awhile I will make a low carb casserole with cheese and heavy cream. Tastes really good, but I tend to stall in my weight loss. I do it just so I don't get bored! So in general I try to stay away from cheese, cream, Splenda is a big one for me. No Splenda! No processed food.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, I just found this thread today!

You really need to stop eating the Atkins meals and bars. Even though the name says Atkins they aren't going to help you lose weight!

I've lost 45 pounds since the end of last year, 25 of it this year following Atkins. I have about 50 more to go. I lose best when I eat basic things like hamburger patties, steaks, chicken or fish. I always pair my meat with a big salad with ranch dressing. I don't see any veggies for you. Make sure you are eating your veggies! Once in awhile I will make a low carb casserole with cheese and heavy cream. Tastes really good, but I tend to stall in my weight loss. I do it just so I don't get bored! So in general I try to stay away from cheese, cream, Splenda is a big one for me. No Splenda! No processed food.

I'm glad you jumped in!! Welcome to the thread and thanks for the input. Staying away from Splenda is going to be the biggest problem for me but I am going to have to try it. I do get veggies (not necessarily every day but most days) in the form of a salad or grilled asparagus, peppers, etc., so I am getting those. The meals are just so much easier for lunch at work since I don't have any place close to get something, but I will see what I can do now that we aren't buried under a foot of snow! :eek:

Again, welcome and NEVER worry about giving good advice!!!

BTW...do you have a recipe for the casserole? I would LOVE to have something like that!

Just a few random passing thoughts: (paraphrased from the '92, rev '99 Atkins book):)

• be food aware - remember that fresh meat, fish, fowl, vegetables, nuts, seeds & occasional fruits, starches are foods you are designed to eat...packaged stuff in supermarket...try not to put in your stomach!

• beware sugar, corn syrup,white flour, corn starch, maltose, dextrose, fructose, lactose, sorbitol, & other variations/inventions of modern sugar-refining industry
  • caffeine/alcohol moderation

Many products you don't normally think of as foods - chewing gum, cough syrups, mints, etc are filled w/ sugar or other sweeteners & must be avoided or factored in.

Coffee - caffeine can raise blood sugar, stimulate insulin...adding splenda certainly can acerbate weight loss...( I personally have only two small cups a day...black...French press...)

Well...ever so often, it is good to refresh our memory by glancing @ the book! Sometimes it's hard to figure out what's amiss as we are all individual & respond uniquely!

I had a week where I didn't do so well...but, after all, it's the journey!:p

I will hold off weighing until Monday...I am our of strips too...grrr...back to the store!