Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

Three weeks til my annual cruise...have dropped a few unwanted lbs...

Anyone else have a cruise booked?

As 'they' say, ...'abs are made in the kitchen..."

I didn't know it would be this hard to take care of myself @ this 'middle' age...grrr...salad for lunch, delish...DH said 'I'm tired of salads...' (as he drank a beer :eek: )

Hope any l/c er's are sticking w/ a good plan & having success.

Hubby and I have a panama canal cruise booked for December. I seem to have hit a wall with the scale. I am not cheating at all and it kills me to watch all the goodies my hubby eats. He is one out those who can eat anything and not gain. I can just look at what he eats and gain. It's so not fair. Oh well. I'll keep trying. Have daughters wedding in September so I want to look good for that. I have a feeling that once I get on the ship for cruise that all bets will be off for 15 days. Ha!

Anyone have any "new ideas" for low carb desserts/sweet treats. My husband is a dessert/sweet fanatic but the doctor has recently told him he needs to try to go low carb/low sugar/Mediterranean/avoid sugars and flour, etc. So I need new ideas for "sweet treats".

I know this is old but take hwc add unsweetened cocoa and sweetener (equal, stevia) and whip in blender will be consistency on whipped cream

Three weeks til my annual cruise...have dropped a few unwanted lbs...

Anyone else have a cruise booked?

As 'they' say, ...'abs are made in the kitchen..."

I didn't know it would be this hard to take care of myself @ this 'middle' age...grrr...salad for lunch, delish...DH said 'I'm tired of salads...' (as he drank a beer :eek: )

Hope any l/c er's are sticking w/ a good plan & having success.

Just make extra meat for dinner send leftovers with him

• 3 months later...
I know this is old but take hwc add unsweetened cocoa and sweetener (equal, stevia) and whip in blender will be consistency on whipped cream

I happen to be low carbing and saw this. BUT what is hwc? i will probably hit my forhead when someone replies but can's seem to think

I have read about a sub for HWC, in case any are lactose sensitive or just want to avoid dairy...use a can of coconut milk instead...just pour off the 'water', if any & empty the coconut milk solids into a bowl & whip away just like regular heavy cream. Apparently it works just as well...

Now, I haven't personally tried this, but I do have a can in the fridge chilling as we speak to experiment with. My brand is 'Thai kitchen' organic unsweetened coconut milk 13.66 fl oz serving size 1/3 cup. total carb 3 g per serving...will report back :p

• 4 weeks later...

I like sugar-free jello as a low-carb treat, with whipped cream on top of course.

I also sometimes make a cream cheese dessert, lots of options for flavoring. I add a teaspoon of raspberry preserves, some sugar-free vanilla and/or raspberry syrup, and some sweetener. Blend together for a satisfying dessert.

Also, Junior's in NYC makes an amazing sugar-free cheesecake, so every once in a while I'll buy one of those, cut it into quarters, and unfreeze one quarter a week.

Edited by TornWonder

I am starting Atkins again next week- and I know I am going to be miserable. I just keep telling myself that it will be worth it. Wish me luck---please.

Definitley wishing you luck! I plan on starting again but can't do it until Jan 11 as I have all of the holidays and then vacation until Jan 10. Plan on hitting it strict on 1/11.

I wish you luck also. Atkins is difficult to stick to for more than a month. It certainly does work!

It's not difficult at all if it's the foods you enjoy. I did it for 3 years before falling back into a sugar addiction. The key to any "diet" is that it had to be something you can do long term and not feel deprived.

• 1 month later...

All the regulars still kicking around in here? It's been 3 years since my last cruise and we're gearing up for another in 2017! I've been back on Atkins since Jan 1st and I'm losing from my highest weight ever. Yikes! Hope everyone is doing well.

-Pink

All the regulars still kicking around in here? It's been 3 years since my last cruise and we're gearing up for another in 2017! I've been back on Atkins since Jan 1st and I'm losing from my highest weight ever. Yikes! Hope everyone is doing well.

-Pink

Just finished a 4 month run sub-Atkins. Stayed as close to no carbs as possible. Lost 44 lbs but most of it was in the beginning. Flying to a cruise right now.

-Pink

Hello, Pink, & all the other recent posters...

Congrats on the upcoming cruise, & jumping back into l/c-ing! It seems when I quit journaling about my WOE/WOEx, some unwanted lbs slowly crept back on...

I have found it harder than ever for me since hitting mid 50's & all the life issues to maintain a feel good weight...however, a couple of friends committed today to start exercising again, so having a buddy system really gives me some extra motivation...

(Plus, as an aside, I think Pinterest can make you fat too! I am constantly trying to l/c some really yummy looking foods!:eek::p

Agree- just looking at pinterest makes me gain ;)

I've been good for 6 weeks now. Down 12-13 lbs. Hoping for 10 more in the next month before the next land-based vaca. When we get back we'll do a modified low carb this spring/summer with lots of working out.

I would like to offer some advice to those thinking of Atkins. Carbs are good... just limit them to before 4pm.

Also, for those struggling with weight after 45-50 yrs of age.... ramp up your protein intake. You are likely suffering from sarcopenia which in turn causes your metabolism to slow.

I would like to offer some advice to those thinking of Atkins. Carbs are good... just limit them to before 4pm.

Also, for those struggling with weight after 45-50 yrs of age.... ramp up your protein intake. You are likely suffering from sarcopenia which in turn causes your metabolism to slow.

Carbs are not good anytime of day for many people. I do agree about the protein. I think the USDA for protein is way too low for most people.

• 1 month later...

For some people like myself, carbs are not good at all. Maybe slow carbs that are high in fiber, but basic carbs are not good , for me anyway. I believe the 4pm comment is based on not eating carbs beyond a certain time at night so your body burns off the carbs you ate upto that time. You might have heard don't eat after 6pm

• 6 months later...