Anyone used a water wheelchair at HM Cay

LHC

I have a DS who is in a wheelchair from a car accident 4 years ago. I have booked the 10 day Holiday Panama Canal Cruise on the Volendam for 2007. This will be our vacation prior to him entering an intense school program.

On Half Moon Cay has anyone rented a water wheelchair? Are any of the Cabana's accessible?

We are both excited to be researching the ports and excursions.

Linda

Do you mean a device such as pictured here:?

http://howtoadapt.com/Waterskiing/4.jpg

Normally HAL expects handicapped passengers to bring their own equipment, but it wouldn't be practical to bring this on an airplane! I know that it is possible to rent equipment for your cruise from third party suppliers, but whether they would have this I don't know. Try calling or emailing HAL passenger services and see if they can get you in contact with these services, or whether they have the water wheelchairs available at HMC. It sure would be nice if they had them available for use there!

From my web searches, it seems that water wheelchairs aren't very common yet, but they should be.

Yep, that looks like a really good setup but, at nearly $3K, would represent the Cadillac of such devices.

Under the term "Beach wheelchair", one finds items such as this:

http://www.allegromedical.com/wheelchairs-c540/rolleez-all-terrain-chair-note-tires-now-come-in-grey-only-heavy-duty-p188851.html?engine=adwords!6554&keyword=(beach%20wheelchair)&gclid=CLW6uLOfmooCFSJWFQod8Q2cow&match_type=

This is just over $1,000 and might possibly be transportable, disassembled, by air. But your interest in renting might mean that you would not normally have use for one at home.

Anyway, Good luck in finding or renting one!

I do know that HAL does have wheel chairs on HMC with large wheels that are usable in sand. Whether they can go into the water or not I'm afraid I don't know. I've only been there once and the wife and I spent most of our time there off the beach.

If you give HAL services a call they should be able to tell you more about them (unless you booked through a TA, in that case you most likely will have to ask them to call). Using one of their beach wheelchairs however should make any of the cabanas accessible.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! My family and I were at HMC last May. I use a wheelchair and when we got off the tender we went to the area right next to the First Aid, etc. area there they have many of the beach wheelchairs. They are free for all handicapped guests. You just leave your wheelchair there and take one of the beach chairs for as long as you like. They are great! They go really well in the sand and YES they go in the water. Once I was off the chair and wanted to stay out in the water my husband took it back to the beach where we left our stuff till I wanted it again. Everything about HMC is very accessible. We had a fantstic time and will be going back there soon!!!!!! We leave on the 10 day Volendam to the Panama Canal on March 23 and HMC is our first port! We can't wait to get back to a little taste of paradise on earth! Your son will have a wonderful time with one of these beach chairs! Have a great cruise!:)

Terrific....this is just what I needed to know.

There is a glass bottom boat tour on HMC would you see if that is accessible when you go in March...I appreciate it so very much.

Linda

Greg and I will be there in December on the Volendam Holiday Cruise to the Panama Canal.

We are so excited about the chair..if you take pictures of it will you forward it to this email:

lindahcanada@hotmail.com

Thanks, we thought the glass boat tour might be nice while we were on the island, I have done the stingray excursion on HMC with my able bodied daughter.

We appreciate your help.

Linda (Greg's Mom)

Archived