Question regarding the Empress

Hi Everyone!

I have been on cruise critic for a while, but for the last few years, I have been sailing on Celebrity, and that is the board I tend to frequent. I have been on one Royal Caribbean cruise back in 1998 on the Monarch and had a wonderful time. My friend and I are considering going to Bermuda this summer on the Empress out of Philadelphia. She will be bringing her 12 year old daughter.

I am aware that the cabins on the Empress are tiny, especially the inside cabins, but would it be possible to have 3 people share a cabin? I would consider my own cabin, but it really exceeds what I have budgeted (I have another vacation planned and a wedding). Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Mindi:)

We shared 3 in an OV cabin. It was tight but we managed. There is limited drawer space so the suitcases had to be on the floor. Our big problem was that both bunks seemed broken (screw missing in one and the other lopsided). So we dragged the mattress down and put it between the beds!! We took turns sleeping down there. We also brought organizers for our bathroom stuff. You really don't spend that much time in the cabin so it should be fine!

There is a link to my Empress pictures in my signature. There are pictures of the OV we had.

Hi! We were on the same cruise as Wingnut and I think I even met her :D

My friend and I were in an inside which was ok for 2. Fitting 3 might be a tad too tight when it comes to luggage and clothing. There was very little drawer space and we crammed our luggage under the bed. The room that Wingnut stayed in would be better for sure and there was a little more open space to fit the luggage for a third person.

Had a great time on the Empress and sailing out of Philly was wonderful!

Hi Everyone!

I have been on cruise critic for a while, but for the last few years, I have been sailing on Celebrity, and that is the board I tend to frequent. I have been on one Royal Caribbean cruise back in 1998 on the Monarch and had a wonderful time. My friend and I are considering going to Bermuda this summer on the Empress out of Philadelphia. She will be bringing her 12 year old daughter.

I am aware that the cabins on the Empress are tiny, especially the inside cabins, but would it be possible to have 3 people share a cabin? I would consider my own cabin, but it really exceeds what I have budgeted (I have another vacation planned and a wedding). Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Mindi:)

Just about anything is possible as long as all three people are very, very much aware of exactly what they are getting themselves into. Your friend and her 12 year old (even if they have been on other cruises) need to know just how small this Empress inside cabin will be---otherwise you will have at least 2 people in tears. I am serious!

I took a quick look at Bermuda in general, and the Empress seems to be the only choice out there, besides the Celebrity Journey $$$, that is sailing 7 nighters to Bermuda. Bermuda cruises can be pricey in general. The Empress is more affordable because of the small staterooms and the small ship size/less bells and whistles as the rest of the "family".

You could go on The Explorer out of New Jersey for 5 nights or the Empress for 7. A lot of cruise time is taken up by the departure down and the return up the Delaware river. Should you take the Empress, smile calmly at your fellow passengers when the ship vibrates considerably around 8:30PM as she makes that sharp turn in the Delaware River---this is normal. ;)

All three of you could do it---pack lightly; same slacks and fancy top for the two formal nights, a couple of other things to wear more than once, one of each kind of toiletry for the three of you, and soft luggage/duffle bags.

If you can get yourselves a inside stateroom up on Decks 7, 8, or 9, there are various little sitting areas around the elevators fore and aft that could come in handy for a little nearby extra space. From Deck 7, it is just one flight down to a gorgeous promenade deck.

Leslie

(5 cruises on the Empress; 4 to Bermuda; 2 out of Philly)

Thank you for all of the helpful responses. I have been to Bermuda twice already...once on Celebrity Zenith and once on the Horizon. I like the 7 day trip, and my friend is from the Philly area, so the Empress would work well. I went to Europe last summer on the Celebrity Galaxy with these same 2 people and it was difficult at times. That cabin was like a suite compared to the Empress! :) I still have not ruled out getting my own cabin, and we are currently trying to find a 4th passenger so we can book 2 cabins.

I am sure we can make this work out!

If you or your friend are 55+ book an oceanview for the same price or even LESS than an inside! Am Empressing in April and was able to take advantage of my cabinmates' age and we're paying $100 less per person than we would be for an inside cabin. You have to book before the senior discount is gone though, if this is even available. Also, I'm considering the 12 yr old as an adult=3rd passenger so the total is divided into 3. Hope you're able to use the 55+ discount:)

Archived