Camera/video safety in Rio

Tony & Trevor

My cousin and myself are in Rio for the Rio to Manaus cruise, We are undertaking Seabourn excursions to Sugar loaf Mountain and Corcovado.

Do you think its 'safe' to take cameras etc on these trips.We have been to SA before but not to Brazil.

Any safety advise ?

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Tony.

It would be an absolute shame not to get photos/videos of Sugarloaf and Corcovado/Cristo Redentor. Rio, unfortunately, has a problem with street children and you will see them at the tourist attractions (more so at Sugarloaf than at the Christ statue). However, with a little awareness and common sense they will not put a damper on your sightseeing. If you are with a group, your tour guide will probably advise you when a little extra caution is appropriate. It really is one of the most beautiful cities on earth.

If you are staying in Rio pre-cruise, I would suggest a hotel in Ipanema over Copacabana. There are large favelas (slums) which practically touch the tourist area of Copacabana, however Ipanema has a large lagoon (i.e. salt pond) separating the favelas from the hotels.

johnny

My cousin and myself are in Rio for the Rio to Manaus cruise, We are undertaking Seabourn excursions to Sugar loaf Mountain and Corcovado.

Do you think its 'safe' to take cameras etc on these trips.We have been to SA before but not to Brazil.

Any safety advise ?

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Tony.

It has been years since were were in Rio..but I doubt that it has improved safety wise. Do not set camera or anything down for a second ..it will vanish. Use caution with your pockets as well. The reason for this is extreme poverty. They are trying to survive..that is different than ordinary street crime. It is a facinating place. I would go on tours...not alone.

Yes always listen to your tour guides. I was in Caracas in the 80s and the tour had stopped for some shopping. After shopping we had to walk 2 blocks to the tour buses. The tour guide told us many times before we started walking that 2-3 of the group WILL have their pockets picked. Still with all the warnings people pockets were picked.

Tony & Trevor I have one of these http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___PacSafeLB322?Args=&refprod=LB6026

and it has a "wire-reinforced shoulder strap,". They also have a smaller version. I keep my extra lens and flash in mine.

Archived