Taxi to Klein Bonaire Snorkelling

lyntony

Has anyone taken a taxi to Klein Bonaire to snorkel? We looked at the tour sheet, and the tours are booked.

Thanks

Lyntony

We go scuba diving in Bonaire frequently - Klein Bonaire is an island - you have to take a boat to the island - can't drive there, though I know people who have attempted to swim there (very close to shore) and suceeded. Also, keep in mind Bonaire and Klein Bonaire are desert islands. It's great fun under the water, but not much to the island topside.

If you have any questions about Bonaire, let me know.

Suzi

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Suzi! We will be cruising to Bonaire in late October/early November. We are SO EXCITED to see this unspoiled island! We are snorkelers, not scuba divers (we have our own equipment). We will be looking to snorkel the entire time we are there, which is about 7 or 8 hours. Do you have any suggestions on where to go...keeping in mind that we DO NOT LIKE CROWDS. We are not opposed to booking something outside the cruiseline, as a matter of fact we would prefer it. Do we need to take a boat to a GREAT snorkeling destination, (like Klein Bonaire) or, to save time, is there a beach within walking or taxiing distance that woud be PHENOMENAL? I've done a little research on this port so far, and apparently there is a National Marine park which sounds interesting ... again, I don't want to be snorkeling with 40 other people in a roped off little area. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks! Mary :)

Hey Suzi! We will be cruising to Bonaire in late October/early November. We are SO EXCITED to see this unspoiled island! We are snorkelers, not scuba divers (we have our own equipment). We will be looking to snorkel the entire time we are there, which is about 7 or 8 hours. Do you have any suggestions on where to go...keeping in mind that we DO NOT LIKE CROWDS. We are not opposed to booking something outside the cruiseline, as a matter of fact we would prefer it. Do we need to take a boat to a GREAT snorkeling destination, (like Klein Bonaire) or, to save time, is there a beach within walking or taxiing distance that woud be PHENOMENAL? I've done a little research on this port so far, and apparently there is a National Marine park which sounds interesting ... again, I don't want to be snorkeling with 40 other people in a roped off little area. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks! Mary :)

One reason people come to Bonaire to dive is you can do so effortlessly from shore just about anywhere. Now, the best stuff will be past 20-30 feet, but there are hundreds of shallow reefs a few feet off shore.

The best thing to do is visit BonaireTalk - a message board that will tell you everything thing you need to know about Bonaire:

http://www.bonairetalk.com/cgi-local/bbs/discus.cgi?pg=topics

This is by far the best place to find the type of information you are looking for. When we go, I never do so without stopping by this website first!

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!! We'll be doing another Scuba Cruise aboard the Emerald Princess in Dec 2008!

Suzi

I forgot to mention that the diving/snorkeling is MUCH better on the island of Bonaire - Klein Bonaire is overrated for snorkeling. The diving was quite good there, but I am not sure I'd want to spend much time on Klein Bonaire, even if I was into solitude. Rent a car and go snorkeling at several sites. Or stay near a resort. Bonaire is quiet with not much else to do - won't be hard to avoid crowds, even while on a cruise!

GREAT information..thanks so much! I will check out the website you suggested ... glad to know that taking the water taxi over to Klein Bonaire is actually not necessary for some great snorkeling - we won't waste our time doing that. We will be on the Emerald for this trip in October - friend's are getting married on board. We are so excited about the somewhat unusual itinerary! Already booked an excursion with a private guide in Grenada! Can't wait to get in the water and see the sights! Thanks again....Mary :)

GREAT information..thanks so much! I will check out the website you suggested ... glad to know that taking the water taxi over to Klein Bonaire is actually not necessary for some great snorkeling - we won't waste our time doing that. We will be on the Emerald for this trip in October - friend's are getting married on board. We are so excited about the somewhat unusual itinerary! Already booked an excursion with a private guide in Grenada! Can't wait to get in the water and see the sights! Thanks again....Mary :)

I'll be anxious to hear aout your cruise - I believe it's the same one we plan to do in 2008.

Mary - is it the Oct 27 cruise? Are you on the rollcall yet? We are on it too - I'm going to check out the website recommended - I booked mainly to see Bonaire as we have been to Aruba and Curacao and wanted to finish out the abc islands... :) Debbie

You guys will learn a lot from the website I posted earlier, but as a diver who regularly visits the island, it's not your typical Caribbean Island destination.

There are very few natural beaches in Bonaire. One reason the diving is so good there is because ths island itself is coral - meaning the coast line is all coral with virtually no beaches. The few resorts on the island have brought in sand; there are some areas where you will find small stretches of sand. But it's not at all tropical and with no beaches, not the kind of place non-divers will find appealing.

The town is small and uninspired - and very, very, VERY expensive especially now that the dollar is so weak. You'll find a few shops and a couple of very over priced restaurants. There is no night life to speak of (you'll get your fix in Aruba, though). People as a rule come to Bonaire to do one thing and one thing only - to dive. Occasionally you'll run across people who knew nothing about the island beforehand - regretting they spent a small fortune to come there.

Most divers stay in apartments or hotels and rent cars to go diving, as most dive sites are accessible from shore. That is why Bonaire is so very popular - for the shore diving. There are a few resorts and yes, you can do boat diving to those same sites. But there also is a huge theft problem on Bonaire, but it's mainly rental car break ins, and not against day trippers like yourself.

To insure you have a good time, take the time to plan out your visit. This is one place you probably don't want to simply "wing it" - as at first glance, the island won't appear to have much. If you want to go snorkeling, find out before you leave where to go and how you will get there. Chances are the place where you enter the water to go diving won't look like much. As I dive, I couldn't tell you where the best places to go will be, but I know the website has a section devoted to snorkeling.

After you finish snorkeling, you should walk around town and possibly go out to lunch. But the food isn't all that good (they eat a lot of goat meat on the island - some hamburgers are made from it and they don't taste all that good). There is a restaurant called "Raining Fishes" that is my favorite - along on the water front. They are pricey, but the food there (in my opinion one of the few places anywhere in Bonaire) is actually good.

I don't want to paint a negative picture of Bonaire, but I want to stress that on the surface, it doesn't look like much. DO a little homework and you will have an awesome time.

Sailfish - thank you for the real picture of Bonaire and you answered a question I hadn't asked and that was whether it is worth it to dive verses snorkel - it seems from your response it would be worth it to dive. Do you shore dive on your own or with a guide? Any recommendations? You told me what I thought Bonaire would be after visiting Aruba 10 years ago I was disappointed it was not as tropical as I expected so I figured Bonaire wouldn't be either but as a diver I wanted to go since I had been to the other ABC islands... Debbie

Sailfish - thank you for the real picture of Bonaire and you answered a question I hadn't asked and that was whether it is worth it to dive verses snorkel - it seems from your response it would be worth it to dive. Do you shore dive on your own or with a guide? Any recommendations? You told me what I thought Bonaire would be after visiting Aruba 10 years ago I was disappointed it was not as tropical as I expected so I figured Bonaire wouldn't be either but as a diver I wanted to go since I had been to the other ABC islands... Debbie

The diving is among the best I have ever done - very easy and realtively shallow (nearly all dives are under 80 feet). The diving is so much better than any snorkeling you will do in Bonaire, hands down I would say if you are certified, by all means GO DIVING.

Snorkeling is okay, but like I said, all the really good stuff will be deeper. As most people dive from shore, you can go to any dive shop at home and buy a Bonaire Dive Site Guide or simply do a little research on the net to get the same information.

All hotels have "house reefs" and are open to the public. The coast line is dotted with one dive site after another - most divers rent vehicles, get fill cards and drive up and down the coast - you start around 8am, and do two tanks in the am - have lunch, do two tanks in the afternoon - take a nap, have dinner and do two more tanks in the pm (believe it or not, some people will log in up to 8 dives a day - we averaged around 5 tanks). There are literally hundreds of dive sites - easy in, easy out - with virtually no surge, 100 feet visibility and no current!! All dive sites are marked from the road. No one dives with a guide, you should have basic navation down if you are certified. No way you can get lost with a compass. As the best dives are around 40 feet, you can stay down a long time!

If you prefer, and lot of people don't mess with shore dives due to car break-ins - they do boat dives. It's a lot more expensive to do boat dives but less of a hassle (about $90 for two tanks vs. $8 per tank fill from shore). Depending on the dive operator and who you will be diving with on the boat (the level of experience), you may or may not be diving with a dive master.

You can rent tanks at every hotel on the island - there is a dive operation on every block in Bonairel. If you go this route, research you dive site - the one at Divi is very good, as there is an 8 foot resident tarpon there that's like puppy dog.

Also, most dive operations when you stayon the island require you to do a mini check-out dive and you to purchase an UW park permit tag they attach to your BC. That's extra and not included in the cost to dive. Finally, although the cruise lines will offer diving in Bonaire, the trips will be very crowded. Bonaire is probably the most popular place to go diving on your itinerary, and you will find many divers wanting to see what all the fuss is about. Trust me when I say, that you will be happier to make arrangements to dive on your own than with the cruise line. You'll probably pay about the same (don't count on saving $$ in Bonaire - the local dive shops know they will get a lot of cruise traffic), but the quality of your diving will be better if you dive locally.

If you prefer to rent tanks and dive from shore, chances are you won't be alone. I have a hunch you will be able to tag along with others wanting to do the same. Go early and have an idea of where you need to go in relation to where you get dropped off (I think they tender in cruise passengers).

Hi Suzi and Debbie! Suzi...your information is OUTSTANDING - thank you! We are aware of what Bonaire is as far as the landscape...reminds us of what Aruba is (we were there last year, and were prepared for that as well). That is what makes it so great, in my opinion...not your typical white sand/palm tree/blue water island. We do not dive, but have our own snorkeling equipment, which we will be bringing...we CAN NOT WAIT to get into this unspoiled water and see what we can see! At your suggestion, I have been on the Bonairetalk website - great source of information. From the information gathered on that site, and this one, we have made the decision to book an excursion with Renee, as she has come so HIGHLY recommended. She will spend about 5 hours with us, taking us to 3 different sites, all from shore. Our time is so limited, I didn't want to have to take a boat to a site -- and again, at your suggestion Suzi, we will pass on Klein Bonaire. I am confident that with Renee and her expertise, we will have a wonderful day! She also suggested that we poke around town (we will have 2 hours to do so) - and I asked for a restaurant suggestion for lunch, which she gave me. (Don't recall the name...it is still in her email to me, but was different than the one you suggested) I do not eat meat or fish, so don't know if I will have a problem, but I can always run back to the ship, if necessary! :) Can I ask you Suzi, is this a poor island...we will see homeless people, lots of trash/litter and people living in squalor? I am not sure what to expect in that regard...just got back from Nassau, and it was quite sad in my opinion. I was a little surprised to read about the petty crime on the Bonairetalk site, and now you have mentioned it as well....guess you can't get away from it anywhere in this world! We are not concerned about that ... it happens everywhere you go, even in our own hometown.

Debbie...YES! We are on the October 27th trip! Our friend's are getting married on board. I have seen "roll calls" on these boards, but never really understood what they were...should I check it out???? Let me know your thoughts!

Just got back from the Bahamas trip...and already we can't wait to hop on board and head on out again! Mary :)

I have also spent several vacations diving on Bonaire and would like to suggest another web site for information (if it was posted above and I missed then just attribute it to getting older :rolleyes: ). The site is http://www.infobonaire.com/. Aside from diving there's also windsurfing at Lac Bay, kayak tours through the mangroves, horseback riding, landsailing.

Enjoy the visit.

Hi Suzi and Debbie! Suzi...your information is OUTSTANDING - thank you! We are aware of what Bonaire is as far as the landscape...reminds us of what Aruba is (we were there last year, and were prepared for that as well). That is what makes it so great, in my opinion...not your typical white sand/palm tree/blue water island. We do not dive, but have our own snorkeling equipment, which we will be bringing...we CAN NOT WAIT to get into this unspoiled water and see what we can see! At your suggestion, I have been on the Bonairetalk website - great source of information. From the information gathered on that site, and this one, we have made the decision to book an excursion with Renee, as she has come so HIGHLY recommended. She will spend about 5 hours with us, taking us to 3 different sites, all from shore. Our time is so limited, I didn't want to have to take a boat to a site -- and again, at your suggestion Suzi, we will pass on Klein Bonaire. I am confident that with Renee and her expertise, we will have a wonderful day! She also suggested that we poke around town (we will have 2 hours to do so) - and I asked for a restaurant suggestion for lunch, which she gave me. (Don't recall the name...it is still in her email to me, but was different than the one you suggested) I do not eat meat or fish, so don't know if I will have a problem, but I can always run back to the ship, if necessary! :) Can I ask you Suzi, is this a poor island...we will see homeless people, lots of trash/litter and people living in squalor? I am not sure what to expect in that regard...just got back from Nassau, and it was quite sad in my opinion. I was a little surprised to read about the petty crime on the Bonairetalk site, and now you have mentioned it as well....guess you can't get away from it anywhere in this world! We are not concerned about that ... it happens everywhere you go, even in our own hometown.

Debbie...YES! We are on the October 27th trip! Our friend's are getting married on board. I have seen "roll calls" on these boards, but never really understood what they were...should I check it out???? Let me know your thoughts!

Just got back from the Bahamas trip...and already we can't wait to hop on board and head on out again! Mary :)

You don't see the kind of poverty on Bonaire you see in Roatan or around Belize City or some places in Mexico, but keep in mind it's an island culture and their standard of living is different than ours - and in some respects, higher, as it's very European there. Bonaire is Dutch and governed by the Netherlands, as is Aruba and Curocao (sp). The official language is Dutch, though the locals speak both Dutch, which is taught in school and their own island language. I have been all over the island, through regular residential areas, and, no I have never come across anyone living in really poor conditions or in squalor.

There is a very large dutch population on the island - they are the "ruling class" and considered wealthy by island standards. Also a good percentage of vacationers on the island are from the Netherlands - most speak a little english. The local islanders who are in the majority I think feel the government favors the Dutch who reside on the island - they get the better jobs, they own the businesses, etc. The island is more European than Caribbean in a way. It's probably also a lot cleaner than most islands - I wouldn't go so far as to compare it Grand Cayman, as Bonaire has a lot of unemployment issues and Grand Cayman doesn't. But you also won't see the kind of poverty you see on other islands.

One reason there is such a problem with petty crime on the island is because tourists are easy targets, and the punsihment associated with the crime are minimal. While in Bonaire in 2005, we were vacationing with another couple - their pick-up was broken into while out diving. When they notified police of the incident, the cops blamed THEM for making the pick-up so tempting (they left a pair of $19 sunglasses on the seat). The cops regarding this incident remarked "what do you expect? You shouldn't leave anything in your parked vehicle." They got no sympathy, and had to pay for the damage caused to the car (I think it totaled about $300) to the rental firm. My husband's theory is the police and the theives are in it together. We would never be able to prove this, but suffice it to say, this is a problem. Our pick up was parked behind theirs - they left ours alone, though my husband left his Cozumel tee shirt on the seat. That's why we no longer do shore dives, but rather book packages that include boat diving.

It's highly doubtful they will target day trippers - cruise passengers are regarded differently - given a little more respect from the locals, I think. One shop keeper said thatthe locals consider American divers to be wealthy, but very cheap; cruise passengers on the other hand have more class and money. Divers wear shorts and sandals and carry no money and cruise passengers dress up! I had to laugh, as did the shop owner who was from the Netherlands. She owned a bakery that did a ton of business - divers were in there every morning!

You'll see dogs, goats and chickens in the street in residential areas. In the downtown area you will see a few upscale stores that I am sure were put there just for cruise people - Diamonds International type shops, tee shirt stores, etc. If you are into windsurfing, Bonaire is very famous for that as well.

Thanks again, Suzi for all of the great information on this island! We are not concerned at all about visiting there. As a matter of fact, it is one of the stops on our 10 day trip that we are most looking forward too. Can't wait to check out all of the beautiful ocean life and see the sights! Enjoy your next trip as well ... they never seem to come fast enough! Mary :)

Thanks again, Suzi for all of the great information on this island! We are not concerned at all about visiting there. As a matter of fact, it is one of the stops on our 10 day trip that we are most looking forward too. Can't wait to check out all of the beautiful ocean life and see the sights! Enjoy your next trip as well ... they never seem to come fast enough! Mary :)

I wouldn't worry about visiting Bonaire either! I'm sure you'll have an awesome time while there.

Suzi

Archived