Grand Princess 1-27-07

geoblond

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful wonderful cruise on the Grand out of Galveston. We got to the Pier around 12:30 and because we stayed at the Hotel Galvez the night before we were already pre-checked. We were ushered into a private room and in a few minutes someone brought us our cruise card. We stopped for a photo and then we were off to our balcaony cabin Baja 330.

We saw our stewart Leo right away and I requested bath robes and eggcrates. We didn't test the beds b4 but they were comfortable with the egg crates. We went up to the deck - the sun was breaking through. We then explored the ship. By that time our luggage had arrived and I quickly unpacked and stored our luggage under the beds while my husband played his guitar on our balcony. We had traditional early dining and we loved it. Our table mates never showed so we had a table for six all for ourselves. We were spoiled by our waitress Pim and her assistant Alvin.

Our sea day was very pleasant and on Monday we went to Majahual to Pez Quadro. Tuesday was Tabyana Beach, Wednesday (Belize) we stayed on the ship and Thursday at Cozumel was Passion Island.

We did not have any unhappy experiences with any of the staff. Everyone we met was pleasant and interested.

Additionally we thought the coffee was fine. I brought the little individual international coffee flavored creams (french vanilla) so maybe that did the ticket.

We liked the comedy shows (Went to four). The photos are definitely expensive but one of our formal nights we took the black and white session. They turned out excellent! so we bought three of the poses.

We had early express embarkation so we were off the ship by 8:45.

Can't wait to take another Princess Cruise.

PS We did not get sick or hear of anyone else getting sick.

Cya

I was on this cruise as well. This was our 2nd cruise ever. The first was on NCL last year. We absolutely loved Princess and this ship. (Now our comparison is to NCL Dream, which if you have been on that ship you will understand why we were thrilled with the Grand.) However, there really wasn't anything that I didn't like about the Grand. Some of the decor is outdated, but it had no effect on my cruise what so ever.

We had traditional late dining and really liked it compared to NCL's freestyle. It was just so nice to know that we had a table. Sometimes it would have been nice to eat a little earlier, but it was great to not have to rush back from port. Plus, it allowed us to get into the hot tubs around 6:30pm with very few other people. Loved the food!!! The only night I was not as happy was Italian night. But, I am pretty sure I didn't leave the dining room hungry! ;) The lobster, prime rib, and crab legs were the best. Also, the desserts were awesome!

Many of the passengers were in their later years. We were with 2 other couples all mid-30's and were in the minority. There were still a decent number of kids, but not so many that the pools were over-run by them. Also, because of the older group of people, we were not overly crowded at Skywalkers at night. We all had a great time and were not overly concerned with the large number of older folks.

We did not attend too many of the entertainment venues. We did see a comedian who also did some juggling. He was very funny and entertaining.

If you have more specific questions, I will try to answer.

There are some good replys here - I also have the same review with different responses because of the double post :(

We didn't see that many kids and we felt (at 50) we were a teeny bit younger that the average bear on this cruise but that make any difference. We did find out that the shows fill up quickly and getting there early some nights was a must. There was also a comedian/guitar player (more guitar than comedy) that was good. There were lots of live music and dancing opportunities.

It was just a great cruise. (Fifth cruise-first on Princess)

We got to the Pier around 12:30 and because we stayed at the Hotel Galvez the night before we were already pre-checked. We were ushered into a private room and in a few minutes someone brought us our cruise card.

Can you explain being "prechecked" to me, please? We are going in March and I am looking for a hotel. This sounds like a very convenient arrangement if it is what it sounds like. Thanks

I was on this cruise as well. This was our 2nd cruise ever. The first was on NCL last year. We absolutely loved Princess and this ship. (Now our comparison is to NCL Dream, which if you have been on that ship you will understand why we were thrilled with the Grand.) .

We have been on the Dream and TOTALLY understand! We are looking forward to our first Princess cruise on the Golden.

We have been on the Dream and TOTALLY understand! We are looking forward to our first Princess cruise on the Golden.

LOL... I was on the NCL SEA two years ago. It was one of its last sailings. She was older and smaller than the Dream, so you can imagine how pumped we are about our cruise on the Grand next month!

Hi Happy..while I agree with what most posters wrote, I need to put in my advice. We were on this same cruise (mid 50s), and it was wonderful.

Get trip insurance! My husband's mother died while we were gone and we had no insurance. Also, the Princess packet lists numbers to call to get in touch with the ship in case of an emergency. This number only got the Princess office and family members in Texas had a heck of a time getting in touch with us. Cell phones only work when the ship is sailing - NOT when you are docked in port. Keep this in mind. I must say that Princess could not have been more helpful in getting us through immigration on Wednesday morning when we reached the Belize port...the Belize people came on board to pass us so that we could get on a plane back home which we did.

The first 4 days of our cruise were delightful..good food, entertainment. The ship holds 2800 people. We have previously sailed on the Coral which holds 1950. We prefer the smaller ship only because of crowds at the elevators, early fill ups of the entertainment and it being hard to find a seat.

Take an alarm clock - there is no clock in the room, unless it was on the phone. We were one of the unfortunate ones who had a very bad bed - we were on the Dolphin deck mid ship - we pre-ordered an egg crate which was not put on our bed the first day. The second day it was put on our bed and it only made matters worse! Our 4th night (our last night) was the best night sleep we had.

Lovely time in spite of the bad circumstances. If you have kids or an ill relative, I urge you to have trip insurance - one never knows.

Have a great time. We did!

We used the Hotel Galvez because it includes free covered parking. Additionally they include free shuttle to and from the ship. Your option is valet or self-park. (We did self-park)

On Friday night there were two representatives from Princess. They will answer all your questions. They will also check you in there. We showed them our passports and credit card we would be using. They gave us a pink paper we waved in the air as soon as we went through security Sat morning at the Port. We were ushered into a private room and in a few minutes they brought our cruise cards in. It was great!

Any other questions just ask

Have a great great cruise.

We used the Hotel Galvez because it includes free covered parking. Additionally they include free shuttle to and from the ship. Your option is valet or self-park. (We did self-park)

On Friday night there were two representatives from Princess. They will answer all your questions. They will also check you in there. We showed them our passports and credit card we would be using. They gave us a pink paper we waved in the air as soon as we went through security Sat morning at the Port. We were ushered into a private room and in a few minutes they brought our cruise cards in. It was great!

Any other questions just ask

Have a great great cruise.

Wow, that sounds like the way to go. Did you book the hotel on your own or as an addition to your cruise booking. I ask because I wondered if Princess sends their reps the day before all cruises, or because it was packaged in with your booking. I know the Galvez is a little more expensive, especially since you really won't be there to enjoy the facilities, but the convenience of pre checkin and saving money for port parking could well make up the difference. I will probably call the hotel directly today and ask these questions. Maybe ask if the have a Cruise Critic discount!:D Never hurts to ask:rolleyes: .

Hi Happy..while I agree with what most posters wrote, I need to put in my advice. We were on this same cruise (mid 50s), and it was wonderful.

Get trip insurance! My husband's mother died while we were gone and we had no insurance. Also, the Princess packet lists numbers to call to get in touch with the ship in case of an emergency. This number only got the Princess office and family members in Texas had a heck of a time getting in touch with us. Cell phones only work when the ship is sailing - NOT when you are docked in port. Keep this in mind. I must say that Princess could not have been more helpful in getting us through immigration on Wednesday morning when we reached the Belize port...the Belize people came on board to pass us so that we could get on a plane back home which we did.

The first 4 days of our cruise were delightful..good food, entertainment. The ship holds 2800 people. We have previously sailed on the Coral which holds 1950. We prefer the smaller ship only because of crowds at the elevators, early fill ups of the entertainment and it being hard to find a seat.

Take an alarm clock - there is no clock in the room, unless it was on the phone. We were one of the unfortunate ones who had a very bad bed - we were on the Dolphin deck mid ship - we pre-ordered an egg crate which was not put on our bed the first day. The second day it was put on our bed and it only made matters worse! Our 4th night (our last night) was the best night sleep we had.

Lovely time in spite of the bad circumstances. If you have kids or an ill relative, I urge you to have trip insurance - one never knows.

Have a great time. We did!

So sorry about your mother in law. Your situation prompts me to remind everyone that you just never know, and trip insurance is a must, no matter what! I have taken seven cruises with my elderly mom, always get insurance, never needed it until last year when my healthy boyfriend who was about to join our family on his first cruise was stricken with several days of a bad GI bug prior to the cruise. He was so sick he could not make the trip with us and was in the ER the day prior to the trip getting hydrated. The rest of us went, had a great time, and got all the money back for his portion. If he had made the trip to Galveston with us anyway and answered the health questions honestly they would not have let him on the ship,or he would have had a terrible time and would have also exposed everyone on the ship. We are all going again this spring break and all of us have insurance.It's one month prior to sailing and we are all washing our hands many times a day.

Hi Trigger69,

I'm late on replying-been so busy checking up. I booked the Hotel Galvez myself through Hotels.com. I don't know if I got the best possible rate. It was 159.00 and was the island view with a king bed. We actually got a gulf view for the same price. I think I justified the room price with the free cruise parking and shuttle.

I'm still having cruise withdrawal :(

Hi Trigger69,

I'm late on replying-been so busy catching up. I booked the Hotel Galvez myself through Hotels.com. I don't know if I got the best possible rate. It was 159.00 and was the island view with a king bed. We actually got a gulf view for the same price. I think I justified the room price with the free cruise parking and shuttle.

I'm still having cruise withdrawal :(

Thanks for the info. We booked the pre-cruise package since it looked like the shuttle + hotel rates were about the same as the package and I hope it will save a lot of headaches in the long run. Has anyone done the Princess package this way? Do they wait for a larger group to form at the airport before they will take you? We arrive around 5:30 pm the night before and don't want to wait around too long.

Archived