Cruising Magazines?

simonbunch

Maybe it's just me, but one of my favorite cruising magazine is Currents - the free one you get sent to you from Carnival. Maybe because I am always looking forward to info on their newest ships. :)

Cruise Travel and Porthole are good if you like one sided.......all positive reporting. After twenty years I just let my Cruise Travel subscription go. When Porthole first came out, Douglas Ward was at the helm and he gave both the good and bad when doing cruise reviews. Honest reports. Since Bill Panoff took over it is the same one sided garbage that Cruise Travel puts out.

After a year of not reading Porthole I picked up a copy of the latest edition at Barnes and Noble on Sunday. It had one ship review which was the Miracle. Again, a very boring article and one sided. I guess I will try them again in a year or so.:)

I have gotten cruise travel a few times and I must say that they have way to many ad's for the size of it. I understand that they need ad's to make money. I have the june 2004 issue and counting the ad's we have.....9 full page 6 half page and 14 one-third page ad's. And this is only a 59 page mag. And if you pay the shelf price of 4.99 plus tax you don't get much reading for the bucks.

I subscribe to Cruise Travel (yep - too many ads, not enough articles), so I don't intend to renew. I also subscribe to Conde Nast Traveler. It includes all forms of travel, but they always have a really good cruise section.

Simon - Your best bet will be go to a bookstore (or any store that has a large selection of magazines). Flip thru the magazines that interest you, and you'll usually find a subscription form (several:D) that will fall out. These are, of course, the 'discounted' subscription rates.

Guest Time2gocruzn

I also get Cruise Travel. While I agree that there is too many ads, the articles they DO have are really good. It is never a very "thick" magazine. I also get Caribbean Travel & Life, and I LOVE it. I also just subscribed to Caribbean aventure magazine, although I havent got the first one yet.

I have been getting "Cruise Travel" for many years. Yes, everthing is "wonderful", but when they have a new ship review, if you look past all of their "how great" "how nice" "how perfect", they usually include a some good photos, and at least offer some insight to room (public and cabin) size, discription, layout as well as facilities ie: gym, spa alternative dining venues, etc. Also, their "port of the month" offers a good insight of what to see and do while in a port for just a day. I keep them on hand, and they are a good reference guide.

I have been getting "Cruise Travel" for many years.... I keep them on hand, and they are a good reference guide.

I too have been receiving Cruise Travel for MANY years and keep a "library" of the back issues in my ofice at home. I often find myself going back to them for information about new ships etc, as I may be looking for info on "old" ships that I have the new ship info and pics for. It is very interesting to see how things change over time. I too agree that CT is somewhat "Ad intensive" but feel that oftten the info included as well as commentary and photos are helpful. I also feel that Porthole (although it is quite "slick") does not have near the quantitiy of information contained in Cruise Travel...

Just my opinion....:D

I agree with many posters that once you have read a years worth of

CRUISE TRAVEL, it all reads the same.I get it now for free thru freebizmagazines.

With a wonderful CRUISE CRITIC board and its contributors you get all that info and much,much more. For pictures and descriptions go to CC or the cruise line website.

Enjoy cruising. What is there not to like about a cruise??

Archived