Santorini

Is the archealogical site of Akrotiri open? I had read that it was closed to the public because of the death of a tourist - but that was last year. Otherwise is there a way to see some of the treasures from the site.

Is Oia worth seeing?

What are the other must-see's in Santorini? Can it all be done on our own or do we have to take a ship tour?

Thank you.

I have not seen any current info regarding the current status of Akritori so you might want to do an on-line search when you get closer to your cruise date. The problem was that the Greeks had constructed a very flimsy steel building over the site and part of the structure collapsed. As to Oia, you can actually see that city across the cliff top from Fira. It is not as commercial as Fira, but it does have its share of cafes/restaurants and shops as offers a cliff top view that is from a different angle than in Fira. You can simply grab a local bus from Fira for about $2 and you will be in Oia in less than 15 min. IMHO the only "must see" in Santorini is the views from Fira and simply walking the streets of that picturesque town. The rest of the island also has more than its share of beauty and there are some nice beaches (some of the best are hidden and require a short hike) as well as a pretty well-known winery. If you want to explore the island you can take a tour, hire a taxi, or simply rent a car (driving on Santorini is quite easy).

Hank

Thanks Hlitner for the info about Akritori and the Oia bus. We always prefer to do ports on our own. Cruise tours usually leave me frustrated - too long in a boring place and not long enuff in an interesting place.

We really would like to see Akritori. We were fascinated with Pompeii and this is ever so much OLDER. Thanks Tom UK - I'll keep checking the web link you sent.

PS. I'm sort of new to this posting gig. What does IMHO mean??? Silly me.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not miss Oia! It is probably one of the most spectacular places in the world to see. All of the photographs you see of the blue roofs and whitewashed buildings in Greece are from Oia. On our cruise two summers ago we grabbed a cab in Fira. He took us to Oia and Akatori. Frankly I was disappointed in Akatori. There are much better ruins in Ephesus and Athens in my opinion. But do not miss Oia. I guarantee you will love it.

Linda

IYou can simply grab a local bus from Fira for about $2 and you will be in Oia in less than 15 min. IMHO the only "must see" in Santorini is the views from Fira and simply walking the streets of that picturesque town. The rest of the island also has more than its share of beauty and there are some nice beaches (some of the best are hidden and require a short hike) as well as a pretty well-known winery. If you want to explore the island you can take a tour, hire a taxi, or simply rent a car (driving on Santorini is quite easy).

Hank

This are excellent suggestions. We were there in 2000 and the ship's tour took us to Oia and then dropped us off in Fira to wander around and take the funicular down to the dock.

It is interesting to see how they grow the grapes there. The wines are wound aroung close to the ground like a basket!

We will be back there in November and will do what you say including a taxi to the winery. Thye had many wine tasting places in Fira though.

• 1 month later...

We took the local bus to Oia in 2004. That was one of the highlights of our trip! The village is VERY picturesque. We stopped and had lunch overlooking the sea with gorgeous views. We STILL talk about it today. Don't miss it!

Thanks for all your input(s). That's what makes CC so great.

It definitely looks like a spin over to Oia is for us.

I noticed in web searches that there are two archaological museums in Fira. Is either one worth visiting. (I do plan to see some of the Akrotiri treasures in Athens).

Also...can any one suggest a street map of Fira on line. I noticed in someone's post that they got terribly lost because the map they had did not note many of the streets.

Thx again to all of you.

Scarlotte.

it's too bad that Akrotiri is not open to the public...it was outstanding.

but i can see why..for several reasons. the tours were under a roof structure..very, very hot..in any wind, unsafe. much of the work, around the tours were done, no digging taking place. but still fragile. at the time i was there, there was talk that the private funding had fallen and the government had so many other projects it was funding, that money was not available.

also, many of the diggers were from colleges..with the heat and problems with funding, they quit going there. our tour guide was very sad that digging had stopped. this was 10 years ago. hopefully when the greek government makes up some of the money it spend on the olympics, it can get back to funding some of these sites?

after touring akrotiri we didn't have time for much else, just a guick walk through town and down the tram. hope everyone enjoys the island!!!

If you're in Oia at sunset - or even at other times, definitely try to get to Amoudi - just below Oia. A road goes part of the way, then there's a walking path the rest of the way. There are several restaurants right on the water where you can get a meal, grilled on charcoal, some delicious local wine and watch the sun go down. One of my favourite memories from my honeymoon!

We also visited the Boutari winery (although there are many others) for a taste and presentation on the wines in Santorini. If you can get to a winery, it was worth the trip.

I also went to one of the archaeological museums in Fira. I can't remember which one I went to (sorry), but it was free, small and enjoyable, especially if you want a break from the heat and can't get to Akrotiri.

Scarlotte, YES! YES! YES! Oia is a must see! Took the local bus over from Fira last June and am going back and see Oia again this year! (and taking several members of my family with me as they so enjoyed the photos!) Cookie

With regard to Santorini, I'm wondering if it is worth renting a car, which we were planning to do. Maybe we should hop the bus to Oia, and hang out there and Fira. Is driving Santonrini worth it? I guess by car is a good way to include the winery as well. Comments appreciated!

Thx, Millie

If you're trying to see several things on different parts of the island then a car is a good way to go. My best advice would be to not get a moped/scooter - get a regular car and don't even think of taking the road to ancient Thira. No guardrails, barely enough room for 2 small cars to pass, very high, tires sliding on the cobblestones.....

If you just want to see Oia one beach then a bus or taxi would work fine.

. Is driving Santonrini worth it? Thx, Millie

Yes .... we covered a good part of the island & had a fantastic day, so I highly recommend doing it by rental car. The drive to the Red Beach & the lighthouse, up to Pyrgos, Perissa Beach, stopping in Immerovigli, Amoudi Bay and Oia .... all well worth it!!

There is a walking/hiking trail along the cliffs from Fira - Oia that is highly recommended. I think is 10K (6.2 miles) which would take me 2 hours or so depending on the terrain but if you have the time and like to hike/walk this might be an option. We are thinking about taking the bus to Oia and hiking back in May.

Archived