Jeans in the dining rooms

Cruising4

We were on the Jewel two weeks ago and although it did say no jeans allowed, we saw several people wearing them in the dining rooms. Also saw shorts on a few. I guess they don't enforce the rule.

Surfgirl,

I'm not trying to start another debate about appropriate clothing for dinner. I recalled a thread about NCL changing their policy. I'm packing and want to know if I need to purchase pants for dinner for a 7 year old or if he can wear his decent jeans.

Thanks.

We noticed on the Dream that the signs didn't say jeans were excluded from the dinner hours, but I had also read that Houston departures allowed them. To add to the confusion, I overheard a passenger asking a hostess about jeans, and she said jeans were okay on the first evening only since some people might not have all of their luggage yet.

My only wish is that all NCL employees would be on the same page. :)

Just returned from the Jewel Jan 28 sailing and I can report that there is no policy being enforced. During the week we had muscle shirts, shorts, jean with holes, baseball caps at every dinner in every restaurant including Cagney's and Le Bistro. By the same token on every night we saw ladies in cocktail dresses and men in coats and ties. Bottom line no policy that we could see. Draw your own conclusions.

With all the comments it got my curiosity up. So I went to the NCL website to check it out. It does say that jeans or shorts are not permitted at dinner time in the fine dining rooms. BUT there are always exceptions. Jeans are permitted on sailings from Houstons. And shorts if they are the proper type and worn with knee length stockings are permissible in Bermuda. There are some other exceptions also. Look on the NCL website under Frequently Asked Questions.

When we were on the Spirit last week we saw *one* passenger, only one, wearing jeans at dinner. The info for dining still said no jeans, no shorts, etc., but they did let this one person in who was in clean, apparently spanking new jeans (meaning no holes, etc). There was one man wearing a ballcap at dinner. He was an older man so maybe that's why the let him get away with it.

OTOH, DH did see a 30ish man pushing a baby stroller who was turned away from dinner at Gardens for wearing shorts.

Most folks were dressed in at least resort casual, if not better. On the optional formal nights better than 60% of the folks we saw were dressed quite formally - including a couple of tuxes here and there.

HTH!

Teri

Last week on the majesty I saw many wearing jeans, in the four seasons, and a majority of those were wearing nice dark jeans and a nice shirt, there were a few that looked a little out of place in really casual faded jeans (adults). I saw nothing on board in the freestyle or at the dining rooms forbidding jeans. This itnerary out of charleston tends to be laid back and more casual though. On a different note, more than 50% got dressed up for the optional formal night, and some dressed up every night, I recall this one young lady that was a tour leader for a senior citizens group, she dressed very nice every night. This is the beauty of freestyle, choice!

MAC

With all the comments it got my curiosity up. So I went to the NCL website to check it out. It does say that jeans or shorts are not permitted at dinner time in the fine dining rooms. BUT there are always exceptions. Jeans are permitted on sailings from Houstons. And shorts if they are the proper type and worn with knee length stockings are permissible in Bermuda. There are some other exceptions also. Look on the NCL website under Frequently Asked Questions.

The NEW 2007/8 brochure which is on the ncl main page, does not say anything about jeans. It only says no t-shirts, cutoffs, shorts, tank tops or bare feet at dinner

We were on the Dream in November and there were lots of jeans in the dining room, although not on formal night. It may have changed in the last 2 months, but the booklet we got with our tickets said jeans were allowed on cruises out of Houston (which the Dream is)

As some have stated the Spirit 10 day S. Carribean - Main Restaurants - no "torn" jeans, shorts, halter tops, swimsuits. So, it leaves one to believe jeans are permissible - however, all specialty restaurants clearly state "no jeans" etc. Something we came across on this cruise was printed in the freestyle daily for St. Maarten, Antigua, Tortola and Barbados - "no camoflage clothing is allowed to be worn on shore" and anyone disregarding the rule can and will be fined (by port authorities) - so just in case the "moms" out there are not aware - now you are. The ship does not enforce this - it is definately the Ports.

As for jeans, well, I really don't see the need myself - but to each his own. And yes, I love my jeans but I wouldn't wear them out to dinner either.

I recall a thread from last month stating it's OK to now wear NICE jeans in the dining rooms (not just the buffet). Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you.

Just came back from the Pride of Hawai'i and there were blue jeans, T-shirts, flip-flops, shorts etc. in dining rooms and barefeet and swimwear in the buffet.

Archived