Sailing into Galveston-? Earliest Flight out of Bush

Jules1

Other factors to consider are what form of surface transportation you will use to travel from Galveston to IAH and which terminal you will be boarding from.

Services like Galveston limo are not private cars, they are shuttle busses/vans. They take multiple groups and will stop at hobby airport en route if others have booked it. This can greatly increase the time needed to arrive at IAH. If you want to take an early flight you will need to book a more personal service such as a cab, private limo company or possibly a rental car.

Continental airlines makes IAH one of its three hubs. As such it offers the most flights out. Continental occupies terminals C and E. Terminal C is the most common place for departure check-in and lines can be very long getting through security, even on a Saturday. You will need to allow more time to pass through security if you are flying Continental. One way to save some time is to check-in in terminal E. This terminal is new and lines have been much shorter here. You may face a long walk air side back to terminal C or you may need to take the air side tram.

If you are flying Delta, USAir, United or American you will be flying from terminal A. This terminal is a pleasure and another world completely from the madhouse that is terminal C. The lines for security are much shorter here. I try to fly on these airlines when I can just for this reason though Continental cannot be avoided if you live in Houston.

A third item to be aware of is traffic on I-45. There are ongoing construction projects along I-45. The main ones are the Causeway and the new interchange at FM-518. No delays are mentioned for April so you look fine at this time but you should check Transtar periodically over the next two months to stay abreast of any new issues.

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Click on the link, select "construction report" and scroll down to I-45.

Archived