What time will they let you on for an 8:00 pm departure?

Rusty Trombone

The ship doesn't leave until 8:00 pm. I would like to know how soon will they start boarding passengers. I don't want to sit at the dock all day, but I would like to get on as early as possible. Will they be serving lunch? Will they let me back off and back on after I check in?

On the cruises I've been on - the tickets said boarding starts at 1:00 but I've usually checked in, been to my room, and am eating lunch in the restaurant by that time. *smile* I would think 11 or 11:30 or so would be a good guess.

Emi

11-11:30 is too early for an 8PM departure. Its 8PM because the boat is not getting in early from the previous cruise. Closer to 1 would be a better guess as far as the earliest you could expect to be on the ship

11-11:30 is too early for an 8PM departure. Its 8PM because the boat is not getting in early from the previous cruise. Closer to 1 would be a better guess as far as the earliest you could expect to be on the ship

This is not necessarily true. If you're talking about the Hawaii cruises, the boat leaves at 8pm because more passengers get in much later. The boat I believe arrives around 7am (at least thats what the brochure says we'll be arriving on our last day.)

Last year, the first Star cruise to Alaska cruise had major complaints. The biggest one seemed to revolve around people arriving at around noon for a nine o'clock departure. There was no place for all these people.

My NCL confirmation has a check in time. I always get there earlier, but if the ship isn't ready I have no one but myself for being stuck waiting around with luggage.

The ship doesn't leave until 8:00 pm. I would like to know how soon will they start boarding passengers. I don't want to sit at the dock all day, but I would like to get on as early as possible. Will they be serving lunch? Will they let me back off and back on after I check in?

If you are talking about the Pearl... The last 2, 9 night cruises have docked approx 9-930am and boarding began at 1pm (they changed something up so that the ship gets in much earlier than the noon scheduled time), the boat drill is scheduled for 4:30 and a ship tour at 2:15 according to the 5 day dailies which are posted at http://ncl-pearl.blogspot.com/2007/01/1-14-dailies.html

My experience is that it can vary week to week on the same ship.

Just did a B2B and it was scheduled for a 11pm departure from San Juan. We were told 13:30 to begin boarding, but in fact the first week it had begun at 11am. The following week we noticed that they only started letting the first arrivers on at 11:45.

One thing I've noticed on all of the dozen or so cruises is that they always have begin letting passengers board before the posted time.

Once aboard and with your ship card, you may leave the ship to explore if time allows, an nice plus of arriving early.

One thing I've noticed on all of the dozen or so cruises is that they always have begin letting passengers board before the posted time.

I wonder if this is a marketing technique, because of course the bars are open immediately -- maybe someone calculated the extra revenue they made by allowing ppl on a few hours earlier.

Not saying that's a bad thing, I'm glad to give a few bucks to the cruiseline to start my cruise as early as possible with a frothy umbrella-decorated beverage :D

This is not necessarily true. If you're talking about the Hawaii cruises, the boat leaves at 8pm because more passengers get in much later. The boat I believe arrives around 7am (at least thats what the brochure says we'll be arriving on our last day.)

The previous cruise will not be arriving in Miami at 7AM, that you can pretty well count on, in fact it is scheduled to arrive at 12 noon. So I stand by what I said. 1PM is about the earliest you can expect to be boarding the Pearl on Sunday and that is counting on the previous cruise arriving earlier than noon, perhaps as early as 10 or so.

The previous cruise will not be arriving in Miami at 7AM, that you can pretty well count on, in fact it is scheduled to arrive at 12 noon. So I stand by what I said. 1PM is about the earliest you can expect to be boarding the Pearl on Sunday and that is counting on the previous cruise arriving earlier than noon, perhaps as early as 10 or so.

I don't mean to make this an arguement, and certainly didn't mean it by my first comment, but the key word in my previous post was NECESSARILY. The OP didn't state where they were cruising from.

I can post my experience from the Pride of America a few weeks ago. We boarded the ship at about 1pm for an 8pm departure. Lunch was available in the Aloha Buffet. Additionally, they did announce that you were more than welcome to get off the ship to shop at the Aloha Tower Marketplace, just that you should be back for the lifeboat drill at 5pm, and that at the latest, you should be onboard by one hour prior to departure.

We will be on the 3-2-07 9 night sailing of the Pearl, scheduled to return to Miami by NOON on sunday, 3-11-07. Previous cruisers have stated that the ship has been returning by 9:00AM to 9:30AM. One thing to take into consideration for this sailing is that on saturday night, 3-10-07, is when we will turn our clocks ahead for Eastern Time! So, if anyone is coming in on 3-11-07 sailing, the Pearl may not be in until 10:00AM or 10:30AM. This is just a conclusion of mine.

Not always the case; on our last San Juan cruise we were on the ship by noon. Normally the late departure doesn't have too much to do with the disembarkation, it has to do with the embarkation site and passengers getting to the port. That is why San Juan embarkation always leaves in the evening. NMnita

I don't mean to make this an arguement, and certainly didn't mean it by my first comment, but the key word in my previous post was NECESSARILY. The OP didn't state where they were cruising from.
I was thinking the same thing: I went back and re-read Ops question, nowhere does he/she say were embarkation is. Generally as someone said, arrival in port the last day is around 7am and the ship is cleared and ready for the new cruisers by noon. Of course, if they don't arrive til noon boarding won't start til mid afternoon. You are right. NMnita

It appears (based on previous postings by the OP) that the OP will be on either the 2/11 or 2/25 5-day sailing of the Pearl, scheduled to leave Miami at 8 pm. The previous sailing is either the 2/2 or 2/16 9-day sailing, scheduled to return to Miami at noon.

Based on this assumption, I would say embarkation would probably begin around 3 or 4pm.

It appears (based on previous postings by the OP) that the OP will be on either the 2/11 or 2/25 5-day sailing of the Pearl, scheduled to leave Miami at 8 pm. The previous sailing is either the 2/2 or 2/16 9-day sailing, scheduled to return to Miami at noon.

Based on this assumption, I would say embarkation would probably begin around 3 or 4pm.

And according to other Pearl 5 day returnees, the previous 9 day cruises have been arriving early, by around 10AM and they have stated on this board that they were able to board the Pearl earlier than the scheduled 3PM embarkation, around 1-1:30 PM according to those posting here.

And according to other Pearl 5 day returnees, the previous 9 day cruises have been arriving early, by around 10AM and they have stated on this board that they were able to board the Pearl earlier than the scheduled 3PM embarkation, around 1-1:30 PM according to those posting here.

Aha! Must have missed those posts.

In that case, the OP should be safe arriving at the pier anytime between 1 and 3.

I got the answer to my question. NCL called and left a message that boarding will start at 3:00 p.m.

If you are going on the Pearl....it will start boarding earlier if it follows same pattern as the past few. On the board people said they got the 3pm call but were able to board 1230-100pm.....the ship has been arriving in miami around 930 instead of the noon scheduled time

Archived