Hoyer Lift rentals from LA?

Tinknock50

You can get a rental lift (not sure if it will be a Hoyer brand, but they suck anyway) from www.carevacations.com

You can also bring your own if it folds in a small space. We have a travel lift we use and we take it on the plane and on cruises (and in the van).

Is Care Vacations the only company that does this from LA? I did get a quote from them sometime back, but I was hoping there was some competition.

I have my own travel lift, but its only my Mom and I so I have no one to pull it on the ship or plane. Plus I am afraid the wheels wouldn't survive the baggage handlers on the plane or the ship.

I do absolutely love my portable lift here in town...very easy to get my Mom in and out of the car and it fits in my cargo area.

call your cruise line and see who they recommend for renting medical equipment. I've found carevacations to be fairly priced and most of all the equipment is always in my cabin in good working order when we arrive. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

Enjoy your cruise.

Care Vacations wanted $375 for the week.

I am reconsidering ....I think I will take my Take Along Lift afterall.

I noticed if I leave the rolling arms open and make use of all four wheels and push it(think shopping cart), it rolls very easily.

I can also put my suitcase on the folded out wheel arms. I can get a steward in the airport to push Mom while I push the luggage on the lift.

Just wondering if I should buy extra wheels to account for the "gorilla" baggage handlers.

We have a TakeAlong lift too. My dad replaced the wheels some time ago with sturdier wheels, and we have not had a broken wheel since (we did get one broken by airline baggage handlers on a domestic flight once).

Use a bungie cord to hold your suitcase on the TakeAlong (we also have a small thin 1/4" plywood board we can place across the open legs to keep smaller bags in place too). We store the lift in the roll-in shower in the bathroom during the day. Never check the lift on the ship. I take this manually as part of our carry on, and gate check it on the plane...get gets gentler use that way.

We have a TakeAlong lift too. My dad replaced the wheels some time ago with sturdier wheels, and we have not had a broken wheel since (we did get one broken by airline baggage handlers on a domestic flight once).

Use a bungie cord to hold your suitcase on the TakeAlong (we also have a small thin 1/4" plywood board we can place across the open legs to keep smaller bags in place too). We store the lift in the roll-in shower in the bathroom during the day. Never check the lift on the ship. I take this manually as part of our carry on, and gate check it on the plane...get gets gentler use that way.

I was thinking of checking the lift with the ship because its just my Mom and I and I would like to push her and I can't push the lift too.

What are these stronger wheels like and where can I get them?

Is there an online site where I can buy them?

Get the ship's crew to push your mother, and you can then push the lift.

My dad is pretty handing. He found better wheels at Lowe's and put them on himself. If you know someone like this, get them to help you.

I should be able to attach them.

Did you mean the airline broke one of your new wheels or one of the originals?

One of the originals. Fortunately the ship's crew helped us with a repair, but it was scary as it was at the start of a long cruise. When we returned home, my dad put on new wheels. Just be sure you get a size that will still allow the legs to fold properly.

One of the originals. Fortunately the ship's crew helped us with a repair, but it was scary as it was at the start of a long cruise. When we returned home, my dad put on new wheels. Just be sure you get a size that will still allow the legs to fold properly.

I went to Lowes and Home Depot and neither one had wheels that would work. Somone said I should check a restaurant supply....maybe they will have casters that will work there.

I may just get a couple of spares of the original wheels as a backup.

Do you by any chance have a digital camera and can snap a picture of the new wheels? You can e-mail it to me at the address below.

Appriciate all the help you have been.:)

Archived