do u get immunized to go to Mexico???

bnsilly

With the wide availability of a shot that can protect you against Hepatitis (which you can contract from ice cubes, vegetables and any other contaminated foods....) why not get immunized???

When we realized that we would be in the Caribbean every year, we decided to go ahead and get the Hepatitis vaccination. It is called TWINRIX and is taken in 3 separate doses - the second dose 30 days after the first, and the 3rd 6 months after the 2nd.

In Canada the vaccine is called TWINRIX - I am pretty sure it is the same for the U.S.

In my opinion, why take a chance if there is something available that can protect you? JMHO

The Hep A immunization is a good thing. You have to get an initial shot and a follow up 6 months later. Hep A is common and is a good thing to have even here in the USA. We had an outbreak here a few years ago, and everyone was afraid of eating out, but not me!:D

jc

Wow, I never ever thought to get immunized before going to Mexico, etc.

My DH always wants to eat in these places and i have always said no way! It is because of parasites, hep, etc.

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with this? Very interesting post OP!!!

Wow, I never ever thought to get immunized before going to Mexico, etc.

My DH always wants to eat in these places and i have always said no way! It is because of parasites, hep, etc.

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with this? Very interesting post OP!!!

I justed watched a health show on parasites....disgusting! There was this jewish kid that was really sick, they found a parasite in him that comes from uncooked pork yet he doesn't eat pork. Then others in his jewish community had gotten sick from the same thing. When the CDC visited, they found a lot of Mexican housekeepers/cooks. After being tested, these mexicans were found to be the carriers. The only way to catch the parasite from them is from "poop". These people would go to the bathroom, didn't wash their hands, then cooked for these people. There was over 300 people infected in this community. When the CDC went back...all the Mexican people has quit and left...no where to be found.

Think about that when eating the food in Mexico...where this parasite is VERY common. DISGUSTING!!!!!!!

Been doing some research...lol

Hep A is the type that is spread by infected food, etc..from people that are infected, not washing their hands and then preparing YOUR food...

Hep B and Hep C are spread directly by body fluids....

Hep A would be recommended for anyone living near the borders of Mexico as well as travel to Mexico..

Hep A vaccination is 2 shots given 6 months apart and the first one should be given a month before travel....

Hep B vaccination is 3 shots given at specific intervals..

**Again, it looks like Hep A would be recommended...Hope this helps someone avoid an unnecessary illness. I will be going to get mine as it is possible to get Hep A from food service workers ANYWHERE...but more likely in certain areas..

I justed watched a health show on parasites....disgusting! There was this jewish kid that was really sick, they found a parasite in him that comes from uncooked pork yet he doesn't eat pork. Then others in his jewish community had gotten sick from the same thing. When the CDC visited, they found a lot of Mexican housekeepers/cooks. After being tested, these mexicans were found to be the carriers. The only way to catch the parasite from them is from "poop". These people would go to the bathroom, didn't wash their hands, then cooked for these people. There was over 300 people infected in this community. When the CDC went back...all the Mexican people has quit and left...no where to be found.

Think about that when eating the food in Mexico...where this parasite is VERY common. DISGUSTING!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!! Disgusting!!!!

Thanks for the info, number one because it is so very helpful and number two (no pun intended, hehehe) because it proves my DH wrong, LOLOLOL

Later Taters!

I eat out when in Mexico. I have been to Mexico for probably 30 days while not on a cruise. I have never starved and I have never been sick.

I use reasonable caution and avoid obvious dangerous food options, but I can't stress enough that eating in quality restaurants in Mexico is not significantly more dangerous than eating in the USA. :rolleyes:

Why do some people feel the need to resort to attempts to spread their own unreasonable panic to others....:rolleyes: Good Grief!:rolleyes:

jc

Been doing some research...lol

Hep A is the type that is spread by infected food, etc..from people that are infected, not washing their hands and then preparing YOUR food...

Hep B and Hep C are spread directly by body fluids....

Hep A would be recommended for anyone living near the borders of Mexico as well as travel to Mexico..

Hep A vaccination is 2 shots given 6 months apart and the first one should be given a month before travel....

Hep B vaccination is 3 shots given at specific intervals..

**Again, it looks like Hep A would be recommended...Hope this helps someone avoid an unnecessary illness. I will be going to get mine as it is possible to get Hep A from food service workers ANYWHERE...but more likely in certain areas..

Thanks for researching this info! I am going to seriously consider this type of preventive medicine...couldn't hurt, right?

I eat out when in Mexico. I have been to Mexico for probably 30 days while not on a cruise. I have never starved and I have never been sick.

I use reasonable caution and avoid obvious dangerous food options, but I can't stress enough that eating in quality restaurants in Mexico is not significantly more dangerous than eating in the USA. :rolleyes:

Why do some people feel the need to resort to attempts to spread their own unreasonable panic to others....:rolleyes: Good Grief!:rolleyes:

jc

it is my belief that everyone has a different tolerance for different germs and dirt from others, depending on many different factors...no one is spreading panic...it's just information. JMHO:p

happy sails to all!!!

My opinion, yes, for Hep A. Got it for a Caribbean cruise last year. One shot now, the second in six months. However, I would get it as soon as possible, given your upcoming cruise date. My daughter just got one yesterday for a last minute March 2 Spring Break trip to Mexico. I think they recommend getting it at least one month before you travel, but the doctor said she will be OK with her timeline.

it is my belief that everyone has a different tolerance for different germs and dirt from others, depending on many different factors...no one is spreading panic...it's just information. JMHO:p

happy sails to all!!!

Agree completely about germ tolerance. You are not the one I am referring to about spreading panic. It was a bit more than information.... it was borderline ignorance. :D

jc

Our doctor recommended Hep A shots, which are actually a good idea even if you don't travel. All you need is one infected food handler, and you have an outbreak. It has happened several times up here and has hit the news. Lawsuits were filed, as well. Protect yourself and your children!;)

Not sure if you are referring to me, but I am guessing so and will reply..

I am not ignorant, and I am not in a panic..

I was merely trying to share the information I found so that each person could make their own decision. I am a registered nurse, but deal mostly with children, so haven't had a lot of dealings with Hepatitis, especially in my area.. I do know that many Texas counties require the Hep A vaccination.

I did not say it was required or even necessary, but yes, if you research, it is recommended...

And will you get Hepatitis from going to Mexico? Maybe..maybe not...But there is a chance, and yes even in the US that you could. That is why I will get the vaccination.

But my feeling is why take that chance, and that is just my decision. You are welcome to yours...Please do not attack people that are just trying to help and share knowledge. .. :rolleyes:

ps..sorry maybe you were referring to DSTPAM??

Again not you. I am not "attacking" anyone. However, a person on this thread posted an unreasoned diatribe. Everyone is so sensitive about being attacked. It is another case of the power of the offended. Nobody is ever allowed to be offended. Hence I can shut anyone up by claiming to be offended.... It is a problem with our society today.

good grief.:rolleyes:

jc

This place is acting up again as my posts keep timing out...

jc

With the information that I passed on, Now "others" can use reasonable caution.

Knowing "I" was going to Mexico soon....and seeing this informative health show.....and someone asking for more information about getting protected against these kinds of problems....I thought it would be helpful to pass the information that I had learned onto the person who was asking for it.

I'm not out to PANIC others!

I hope you don't watch the news.

Again not you. I am not "attacking" anyone. However, a person on this thread posted an unreasoned diatribe. Everyone is so sensitive about being attacked. It is another case of the power of the offended. Nobody is ever allowed to be offended. Hence I can shut anyone up by claiming to be offended.... It is a problem with our society today.

good grief.:rolleyes:

jc

Just for the record, I didn't think you were directing anything towards me in particular i was just giving MHO.:) :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the boards are for sharing DIFFERENT ideas, experiences, suggestions...i think that's all that is being done here. No need to panic, hehehehehe

Everyone have a safe and germ-free day!!!:p

I asked my doctor about this and he said that if you're going to be cruising, you'd be silly not to get a twinrix dose. His point, which I thought very good, was that you might not get sick but if you get hepatitis and you know that you could easily have prevented it, you're just going to feel stupid. He also said that avoiding water is not the holy grail either, since even in the cleanest kitchens, the locals will be washing their hands with local water and then preparing your food. The bottom line is, I had three shots over six months and am now protected for life. Seems like a no-brainer.

I asked my doctor about this and he said that if you're going to be cruising, you'd be silly not to get a twinrix dose. His point, which I thought very good, was that you might not get sick but if you get hepatitis and you know that you could easily have prevented it, you're just going to feel stupid. He also said that avoiding water is not the holy grail either, since even in the cleanest kitchens, the locals will be washing their hands with local water and then preparing your food. The bottom line is, I had three shots over six months and am now protected for life. Seems like a no-brainer.

That was why we got the Hep A shots. Except we only had to get two shots over 6 months.

jc

Archived