Daytime fun in Miami

gypsyrose

Arrive around noon. Reservations at HI port, pool doesn't look too appealing. Planning on going to Bayside in the evening. What fun thing should we do for the day? Take a cab to Miami Beach? If so, how far and app cost? What other options? Want to SEE Miami. Not interested in shopping or the aqaurium. Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm like you--I hate to be stuck in a mall or other attraction and would much rather see the city I'm visiting.

I'd recommend a trip to South Beach. My husband and I love it there and make sure we visit whenever we're in Miami. If you're staying at the HI across from Bayside there is a city bus that will take you there or if you prefer to take a cab they are always lined up at the Bayside Marketplace front entrance or outside the hotel.

I thought your question about Miami Beach was a good one. I believe South Beach a part of Miami beach, extending southward from about 23rd St.

We loved the outdoor cafes and restaurants that lined Ocean Blvd., the Lincoln Road Mall and parts of Washington Ave.

If you're staying across from Bayside, I'd recommend breakfast at a little outdoor cafe overlooking the marina. I think it's called Le Cafe. Nice food, nice atmosphere, reasonably priced.

yes, as you've begun to recin'

'South Beach' is a subset of Miami Beach - essentally people are talking about the old 'Art Deco' areas of south Miami Beach....where the beautiful now hang out :rolleyes:

Ask a cabbie to take to Ocean Blvd, South Beach and then explore....

but also be advised - SoBe is cool during the day but the hot stuff doesn't even begin to wake before 10pm. You may be disappointed spending the evening @ Bayside .... if you are lookin for hoppin - swap your program....

And be advised that South Beach ain't the only action - there is also "The Grove" ... Coconut Grove is where many from the south side of Miami go - thinking of South Beach as the land of the people with too much money...

And then one last tip - want a local secret that I may be punished for letting out? How about a 100% authentic, been there forever, fallin down wreck of a Blues Bar? Tobacco Road .....

More than eight decades old, this establishment holds the first liquor license in Miami-Dade County. Tobacco Road is Miami's bar of choice for blues music and food. Over the years, legendary musicians including B.B. King, Koko Taylor and Albert Collins have performed on the main stage. It's also one of the few places in town where local bands regularly perform. Open until 5am.

end quote

Not far from Bayside...but DO take a cab....

Archived