Will we see SUN on the SUN?

rjmcrm

We are sailing next Sunday, 2/18, out of New Orleans on the Sun. I checked long term forecasts today and, unfortunately, it looks like it is raining every day in the ports we are scheduled to visit (for the next 10 days anyway). We have sailed the past five years in February (my birthday month) but have sailed out of south Florida. I don't remember any rain on any of those trips to speak of - certainly not anything to ruin our planned beach excursions. So does anyone know if this is the rainy season in Mexico and Belize? Can someone post if they have just returned?

This will be our first NCL trip and we are really looking forward to it. As long as we have nice weather, sun, good food and drinks we will be happy cruisers. Thank you . . . . .

Yes, during the winter it is the rainy season in the Yucatan and Central America. But it doesn't necessarily rain all day. On some days it don't rain at all. Keep in mind you are traveling to a rain forest, one should expect rain in a rain forest during the rainy season. Your best hope is that it doesn't rain on the sea days in the Gulf of Mexico. I read a review recently in which they claimed it didn't rain on them the entire week. I wish I was so lucky.

Rjmcrm

Looks like, we'll be on the same cruise, I expect it will rain some, it is central america and it is the wet season.

Not much we can do about the weather, but make the best of it.

I just hope it doesn't rain too much when I visit Xuntanmich.

Any cruise is a good cruise!:D

Thanks for writing back. You are RIGHT - any cruise is a good cruise BUT sunshine is always good !!! I bet we have warm, sunny weather and if it does rain, it will be a quick shower and clear right back up ! Only thinking positive thoughts. Thanks again.

We are also on the 2/18 Sun. This is the 7th year we cruise Mardi Gras week. I have no memories of wash out rains on any of those cruises. It's rained an hour while at sea or something similar, but not in ports. It drizzled last year in St. Maarten. The guys sat at a beach bar and drank, we ran thru the raindrops and shopped and met them for drinks afterwards. It was a good day....

I agree with everyone else. I don't care if it rains (well I kind of do..:) ) but it's still going to be a GREAT cruise. I live in Louisiana but have been working in Philadelphia. It was 12 with a wind chill of 0 this morning. I'll pick rain in the Carribean anyday!

Hey, C'mon! We'll all have a great time!!

Kathy

Hopefully, we'll see more sunshine than rain showers! We haven't sailed to these ports previously. Which is the best for snorkeling (we hear Belize) and which is the best for seeing Mayan ruins?

Also, besides the obvious reason, why is this cruise called the Mardi Gras cruise? - special happenings on board??

Copperpenny 22000

Norwegian Star, 2006, Mexican Riviera

Norwegian Starward, 1995, Caribbean

WOW KATHY !! Your cruise schedule for this year is truly exciting. You and your family have a lot to look forward to . . .

This will be our first NCL cruise - last year we were lucky enough to cruise three times and St. Marteen is our most favorite port. (We have over 25 cruises total - sort of lost count). We LOVE to go to Orient Beach for sun/beach time and shop in town on our way back to the ship. Did you make it to the Guavaberry Rum factory (right in the middle of town)? If not, go next time and taste the rum and get their famous Guavaberry Margarita - YUM!

Have your parents sailed before? We took my Mom and Dad for their 50th about 7 years ago - just a short 4 day because they weren't sure if they were going to enjoy it. They had so much fun that the entire family went to Alaska two years later on the Sun Princess. Great trip, great pictures and many memories. I hope your parents enjoy their trip and their 50th !!

Quick question - have you been to these ports previously? (Of course we have been to Cozumel probably 10 times - always go to Paradise Beach). Would love some input about possible beach areas from someone who has been. Thanks and we will look forward to hopefully meeting you on the ship - only 9 more days. THE SUN WILL BE SHINING I AM SURE !!! Cindy

We are sailing next Sunday, 2/18, out of New Orleans on the Sun. I checked long term forecasts today and, unfortunately, it looks like it is raining every day in the ports we are scheduled to visit (for the next 10 days anyway). We have sailed the past five years in February (my birthday month) but have sailed out of south Florida. I don't remember any rain on any of those trips to speak of - certainly not anything to ruin our planned beach excursions. So does anyone know if this is the rainy season in Mexico and Belize? Can someone post if they have just returned?

This will be our first NCL trip and we are really looking forward to it. As long as we have nice weather, sun, good food and drinks we will be happy cruisers. Thank you . . . . .

Of course you will see the sun on the Sun, it's huge:)

CIMG1659.jpg.19e7c1fe24e714512c415199f82f66c5.jpg

Hi Cindy,

Yes, we do have a grand year to look forward too!

My mom and dad have cruised with us 7 previous times (never by themselves - if I don't go, my dad won't go!) and they are coming with us on the Sun 2/18. When I asked what they wanted to do to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary, my mom said she wanted to go on a cruise out of New Orleans (no flying:) ) with as many family and friends as could make it. Now that will be a great cruise - but aren't they all?:D

St. Maarten is our favorite port too. Did you ever go to Busby's Beach Bar by Oyster Bay? We had 75 cent Caribe's, a beautiful uncrowded beach and a view of St. Bart's. It was great. I'm told that there is now construction there, and it is not as uncrowded as before. Went to Orient Beach last time, I think I prefer Oyster Bay.

We have been to Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya. Not Guatemala. In Belize we've used Coral Breeze and had an excellent time. Not sure what we are doing this time, but we would also like a beach. In Costa Maya we had taken the Ureva (sp?) beach break and had a blast. My friends went in December and didn't think it was as much fun as last time . I don't know why. We are going to go to town and sit by Cat's Meow or one of the other places by the water this time. We've done so many things in Cozumel. The Fury Catamaran tour is an excellent time spent (we've gone 4 or 5 times at least). We've also taken a taxi to Chaunkanabb and to a great all inclusive that I think is still closed. Again, I don't know what we are doing this time.

Usually I'm so much better prepared, but I've been working out of town and haven't had a lot of planning time afforded to me.

I would venture to say that you will meet my dad when on the cruise. My DH gave him a hat years ago that he wears on every cruise. It brings lots of laughs, and lots of attention. With protest, he doesn't wear it to dinner. He likes to sit by the pool and have a beer or 2. You will also find him in the disco until it closes most nights - not dancing, but enjoying us younger folks and watching the crowd - again while having a few drinks.

We are very much looking forward to this cruise. My husband's been in Houston and I've been in Philly - we are sooooo looking foward to 2/18!

Archived