Customs question for Conquest cruisers

katgilm

We will be returning to Galveston on 4/8 which is Easter so the rental car companies will be closed at the Pier. We are two moms with three kids. I am thinking that it would be a lot cheaper for one of the moms to self-disembark early, go to the airport, get the car and then go back and pick up the rest of the group. (We will be staying in Houston for an extra day and need the car.) My question is...Will my 14-year-old son be able to disembark with my friend and her kids and go through customs with them? (I can give her that letter that says it is okay for him to travel with her.) I'd also like to leave my luggage with them so I don't have to lug it all the way to the airport and back but I assume I will have to take it through customs myself, is that right? Any suggestions?

Each family must go through customs together. You will need to fill out one customs form for you and your children. Your friend will need to fill out one customs form for herself and her children.

All parties listed on the one customs form must go through customs together. Your son will need to go through customs with you. He will not be allowed to go without you.

We will be returning to Galveston on 4/8 which is Easter so the rental car companies will be closed at the Pier. We are two moms with three kids. I am thinking that it would be a lot cheaper for one of the moms to self-disembark early, go to the airport, get the car and then go back and pick up the rest of the group. (We will be staying in Houston for an extra day and need the car.) My question is...Will my 14-year-old son be able to disembark with my friend and her kids and go through customs with them? (I can give her that letter that says it is okay for him to travel with her.) I'd also like to leave my luggage with them so I don't have to lug it all the way to the airport and back but I assume I will have to take it through customs myself, is that right? Any suggestions?

What Plano Debbie said about customs. The entire family must go through together.

I'll mention that going to the airport to rent a car and return back to the terminal is not a good idea nor option. The airports are too far away. Check the Galveston thread in ports section for alternatives.

OK, I have to ask this question, but why are you going to the "airport" to get your car??? That is about a two hour round trip, why not drive the car to Galveston and park near the terminal? How are you getting back and forth from Houston to Galveston, that will definitely cost more than parking in Galveston:confused:

OK, I have to ask this question, but why are you going to the "airport" to get your car??? That is about a two hour round trip, why not drive the car to Galveston and park near the terminal? How are you getting back and forth from Houston to Galveston, that will definitely cost more than parking in Galveston:confused:

Thanks for the information about needing to go through customs with the entire family.

I am going to the airport to get the car on the return because we will be renting a car for that day and the next. (The non-airport rental car offices will be closed on Easter so the airport is the only place we can rent.) For our transportation pre-cruise, we will be taking a private shuttle service from the airport to the pier as we are flying in from California. I hadn't thought about renting a car for the week and then parking it at the pier because I assumed it would be too expensive. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks, Kathi

Thanks for the information about needing to go through customs with the entire family.

I am going to the airport to get the car on the return because we will be renting a car for that day and the next. (The non-airport rental car offices will be closed on Easter so the airport is the only place we can rent.) For our transportation pre-cruise, we will be taking a private shuttle service from the airport to the pier as we are flying in from California. I hadn't thought about renting a car for the week and then parking it at the pier because I assumed it would be too expensive. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks, Kathi

My question is, where are you guys going to meet up once they do the 4 hour round trip to get the rental car?? You guys are going to have to be off the ship, and can't linger around the terminal, so where will you go? Seems like alot of work... can you not just all travel together to get the rental car?

Thanks for all your responses. Since we need to go through customs as a family, we'll all just head to the airport together. I was just hoping to save some money (since the shuttle for one would only be $35) but it sounds like it will just take too long to get to the airport and back.

Archived