Better snorkeling:Montego Bay or Grand Cayman?

kitten_ohio

My son's 22 & 17 will be first time cruisers this April. They both really want to go snorkeling.

I am trying to decide where is "better" snorkeling - Montego Bay or Grand Cayman?:confused:

Please leave your thoughts and opinions - please and thank you!:)

Grand Cayman has much better snorkeling than Jamaica. Do one of the tours to Sting Ray City and snorkel with the sting rays in waist deep water. (great way to start off) They usually hit a couple other deeper water spots also. We just went a couple weeks ago with Shawn Ebanks. It was my husband and I and another couple and their son. Wayyyyy better than with the crowds! Cheaper too.

no comparison

Cayman hands down unless you get steered very very bad....

I'm not into StingRay City myself - but for a beginner I think it would be a fantastic introduction

I've dove both many times - Cayman in the hundreds, Jam dozens. Cay is so many more cuz that's where I pay to go....I dive Jam on company time!

no comparison

Cayman hands down unless you get steered very very bad....

I'm not into StingRay City myself - but for a beginner I think it would be a fantastic introduction

I've dove both many times - Cayman in the hundreds, Jam dozens. Cay is so many more cuz that's where I pay to go....I dive Jam on company time!

You said first time cruisers.....are they experienced snorkel'rs??? If so my recommendation is completely different.......

No matter where you go snorkeling, it'll be best if you practice a few times in a pool first. Yes, that'll mean having your own gears. It's a small investment that can be used for a long time, and you don't have to worry about whose mouths the snorkels have been in before.

Jamaica does not have very good diving/snorkeling, due to overfishing and lack of environmental care.

Cayman is one of the best diving place in the world, that should give you some idea.

The Stingray City snorkeling is really Stingray sandbar snorkeling (Stingray City is 12-15' deep whereas sandbar is waist to chest deep water). But that is still not accurate. At the Stingray sandbar you are not allowed to wear fins. You are also not floating on water with or without vest. Some people also don't wear mask. The main attraction is to play with stingrays. There is not much else to see except sand, and lots of people. Thousands of people go to Stingray sandbar each day.

By the cruise terminal, you can walk a few hundred yards to free snorkeling at Eden Rock. It's right by the shore. Many people snorkel there. I dove there and it was pretty good.

By the cruise terminal (in Grand Cayman), you can walk a few hundred yards to free snorkeling at Eden Rock. It's right by the shore. Many people snorkel there. I dove there and it was pretty good.

You can easily walk to Eden Rock:

edenrockmap.jpg

Archived