iron

pooh94

Pooh - You have your answer, but I'll just add my reply... Please don't bring an iron onto the ship. Could cause electrical/fire hazard. Most ships have laundry rooms for passengers to use.

Easy way to remove wrinkles - Steam up your bathroom, hang the clothes in there for a few minues. Remove and smooth out with your hands. Voila - most wrinkles disappear!:)

Alternatives - Travel steamer (not combo iron/steamer) or Downey Wrinkle Release spray now comes in a travel size....WalMart, Target, etc.

Have a happy and SAFE cruise!

I always bring my travel iron. .....

So you're saying the rules are meant for everbody except you?:rolleyes:

They have their reasons for saying NO irons. They should also say NO to the flat irons, and maybe one day will do that. Can you imagine the electrical short circuit if everybody did this? It's a huge fire hazard! What don't you understand about that? Shame on you!:p

Most ships have passenger laundry rooms, and it costs nothing to use the irons in there.

I'm sure it's in your paperwork that irons are not allowed. They are considered fire hazards. Not sure why you can take a curling iron and hot rollers, but no irons.

If you forget and leave your curling iron or hot rollers 'on', the heated part is not flat against a surface that could burn - they have some sort of support. However, an iron (on a moving ship, tilting, shifting) could fall over onto the carpet or burn something on the dresser, wherever. Flat, very hot surface = problem.:rolleyes:

We just got off the Pride on 2/11/07. My sister in law didn't realize that you couldn't take and iron. Security saw it w/ the xray machine and took it away. If she wanted to fill out paperwork she could have picked it up at the end of the cruise. She told them to take it home or throw it away. If Carnival sees it... they will take it away.

If you forget and leave your curling iron or hot rollers 'on', the heated part is not flat against a surface that could burn - they have some sort of support. However, an iron (on a moving ship, tilting, shifting) could fall over onto the carpet or burn something on the dresser, wherever. Flat, very hot surface = problem.:rolleyes:

Obviously a man. Half the time my curling iron doesn't sit on it's little stand, hot rollers get hotter than you would believe and so does my daughter's flat iron.

Stephanie

It may just be a matter of time before they start disallowing flat irons. My daughter would never go on a cruise again :rolleyes: .

Flat irons for hair do not have the same voltage as a clothing iron and would not constitute the same fire hazzard. Same with curling irons. Of course, it's the same with travel irons too, but they have to draw the line somewhere, so their ship, their rules, no irons.

But :) ! If you pack correctly, you won't need any of it! Use dry cleaner bags, packing folders, roll your t-shirts, don't pack too tight, don't allow your clothes to shift, those are all ways to eliminate any pesky wrinkles at all. If you do have some, a little spritz of water and the supplied hair dryer (or, just the heat from the hairdryer for delicate fabrics) will help get you by.

Obviously a man. Half the time my curling iron doesn't sit on it's little stand, hot rollers get hotter than you would believe and so does my daughter's flat iron.

Stephanie

Nope, very female. At 60+, I've used every appliance known to man, and I DO know which get hot and the dangers. Obviously, so do the cruiselines!:p Happy and SAFE cruising to you.

If you do have some, a little spritz of water and the supplied hair dryer (or, just the heat from the hairdryer for delicate fabrics) will help get you by.

I had never heard this before. Thanks for the additional tip.

The last night I looked flammable liquids shouldn't be packed either. I guess I will leave my hairspray at home too and I shouldn't pack my Lysol either.

I guess if you can't trust people with irons they should also make smoking on board against the rules too. I don't smoke and never have but I can't trust Bonnie and Tom to not smoke in their cabin.

Archived