Corkage Fess question??

dndcruise

If you bring a bottle of wine with a screw top, do they charge you a corkage fee???

I just got back from Elation and brought 2 bottles to dinner (both had screw tops). The waiter was laughing, but they were good bottles of wine. Anyway, it's not the actual "uncorking" you get charged for....it's the storage of the wine every night at a perfect temperature and they do pour your glass when it is empty :)

BTW....the waiter told us there was a corkcage fee, but said he wouldn't charge us.....so we gave him the $20 on the last night...

The corkage fee is simply a way to compensate the cruise line for the fact that you are enjoying wine in the dining room and not paying for the wine-related services.

You may or may not be charged... if you have a nice size bar tab, you may well avoid the corkage fee.

If you are a total budget cruiser, and do not have much of a bar tab, I think they just might stick it to you.

Lets do the math:

Carnival lets you bring "fine wine" on board. You can pick up a bottle for about 8-10 dollars at the port you're in.(Not a wine snob ) Open it yourself and have a glass or two in your room before dinner. Usually I have one or two glasses while I am eating dinner. Two glasses at about 6.00 per glass per dinner is 12.00. Corkage fee $10.00.Cheapest bottle of red wine I have seen on the Legend is 23.00. I'll bring my own and enjoy a glass on my balcony.

I just got back from Elation and brought 2 bottles to dinner (both had screw tops). The waiter was laughing, but they were good bottles of wine. Anyway, it's not the actual "uncorking" you get charged for....it's the storage of the wine every night at a perfect temperature and they do pour your glass when it is empty :)

BTW....the waiter told us there was a corkcage fee, but said he wouldn't charge us.....so we gave him the $20 on the last night...

Actually, Carnival has some decent bottles on their wine list that have screw tops... for $40-$60 you wouldn't expect a screw top, but many are using screw tops these days... they aren't just used for the cheap wine these days!! Many experts have agreed that cork is no longer the best man for the job... a pretty decent amount of corked bottles are spoiled by oxygen and bacteria due to a bad cork... and many corked wines tend to have a bad smell... even the synthetic corks that have been popular allow for air leaks... so you will start seeing more and more twist top wines. No need for the waiter to laugh, when some of their own wines are twist top :D

Actually, Carnival has some decent bottles on their wine list that have screw tops... for $40-$60 you wouldn't expect a screw top, but many are using screw tops these days... they aren't just used for the cheap wine these days!! Many experts have agreed that cork is no longer the best man for the job... a pretty decent amount of corked bottles are spoiled by oxygen and bacteria due to a bad cork... and many corked wines tend to have a bad smell... even the synthetic corks that have been popular allow for air leaks... so you will start seeing more and more twist top wines. No need for the waiter to laugh, when some of their own wines are twist top :D

You mean I can get boone's farm onboard?:D

Soon ripple and colt 45.

Steve

You mean I can get boone's farm onboard?:D

Soon ripple and colt 45.

Steve

Not that I know of... but you can get some higher end bottles, that have a screw top... This trend has been going on for many years now: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97156

It's a little shocking if you aren't used to it... but many wineries are using them... but it takes some getting used to.

Archived