No steward,no dining room = no tip

steveaaaa

I see that Easy cruise is offering a very simple and basic cruise system which is no room steward (unless you want service) and they offer a menu which you order and pay from restuarant style.

Do you think that will ever become a part of cruising as we know it here.

With the pay choices for eating now on board,it might only be a matter of time before we get a Mcdonalds on board.

Steve

I see that Easy cruise is offering a very simple and basic cruise system which is no room steward (unless you want service) and they offer a menu which you order and pay from restuarant style.

Do you think that will ever become a part of cruising as we know it here.

With the pay choices for eating now on board,it might only be a matter of time before we get a Mcdonalds on board.

Steve

Well they already have singing waiters in the dining room, so why not a mcdonalds with the playground, but absolutely no jeans at Mcdonalds.

:D Uppity -ups, that's a new one!

Easy cruise has its place, it's great for college age, or people on a strict budget that don't want the typical cruise experience. It's great for people who want to visit the islands and stay until the wee hours, as many times cruise ships don't do that. It's just fine for people who don't really want to go on a cruise, just want transportation to different islands. It is what it is.

Why in the world would someone who object to what is typical on a cruise even bother to go on a cruise at all? If you want a budget vacation, go on a budget vacation. If you don't want to go to dinner or enjoy any of the other ammenities of a cruise, go on a different type of vacation.

If a person thinks people are "uppity-up" on a cruise, I really have to wonder about what they are thinking, I've been on 12 cruises and haven't noticed but a few of them, most of those are merely blowing hot air. The vast majority of people on mass market cruise ships are your typical, everyday people you see in your hometown.

:D Uppity -ups, that's a new one!

Easy cruise has its place, it's great for college age, or people on a strict budget that don't want the typical cruise experience. It's great for people who want to visit the islands and stay until the wee hours, as many times cruise ships don't do that. It's just fine for people who don't really want to go on a cruise, just want transportation to different islands. It is what it is.

Why in the world would someone who object to what is typical on a cruise even bother to go on a cruise at all?

I agree completely. There are also cruise lines in the Baltic like this--they're far, far nicer than the EasyCruise ships and offer some entertainment, but the dining is all pay-as-you-go. Most people just use them to get from one city to another and to enjoy duty-free shopping, not for the whole cruise experience.

I don't think this type of cruising would ever catch on and become commonplace on any of the major lines. I think part of the appeal of cruising *is* the inclusive dining and the opportunity to be pampered a bit.

Steve, since you hate tipping so much... and in another thread you seemed that you were starting this thread just for kicks and controversy :rolleyes: Why don't you cruise on Easy Cruise? Wouldn't that be the easiest out for you?

Steve, since you hate tipping so much... and in another thread you seemed that you were starting this thread just for kicks and controversy :rolleyes: Why don't you cruise on Easy Cruise? Wouldn't that be the easiest out for you?

Are you trying to stir the pot on this Fantasy chat board?:D

Kicks and controversy? NO(well mayby a little fun). Debate and discussion? Yes.

We have all seen the specialty restaurants appear on board for a fee.We even have Johnny rockets on RCCL,and even some yogurt/ice cream shop (I forgot the name) on board all for a fee at least for some items.It is only a matter of time.It will happen.

I have actually been looking at Easy cruise as a way to see many places at my pace whcih is why I have some knowledge of it.As I have posted before,I cruise for the ports.The ship is my transportation.

Steve

Include crew tips in the fare!

Aside from Steve's reason for starting the thread, I think Easy Cruise is a great idea. It's like motel 6 or any other budget accommodations: there is a reason they seem to be doing fairly well. Would I cruise them? No way, but for the young who like a little variety, aren't into the tipping, the house keeping, the quality of food but want to see as much as they can in a short time it is great. Windjammer, many years ago offered a very simple cruise (our kids took it while still in college) they did offer meals, but it was family style, the food was iffy according to them and the cabins almost a joke. Did they have a great time? You bet. 16 years later they can still give you every detail about their trip. NMnita

Bottom line answer for me (although I don't really see that you asked a question ;) , there are no question marks in your OP) is that it may happen. If it does, I won't cruise again. I don't cruise for Johnny Rockets, to not be served, to clean my own cabin, I can do all that for myself at home.

I don't go to McDonalds at home, either. But seeing the popularity of fast food and the consistent downward turn of the general populations opinion of quality, it could be the future of cruising in the future.

This thread is a bit sad, when you really think about it.

This thread is a bit sad, when you really think about it.

It made me sad to think that in the future all this pampering and nice dining might be gone too. I sure hope not. I love to eat and try new foods without having to worry about the price and not eating something if I decide I dont like it.

since Easycruise is basially a ferry service I think traditionial cruising will still be around.

My husband who loves to scuba dive-said he would not mind taking one where he could stay longer in port-but since I love the ship as much if not more then the destination-I doubt I would like it.

Archived