getting from Houston to Galveston?

mitzykka

Hi all,

for those who have cruised on the Grand Princess, we have a question about getting to Galveston from the Houston area. We are flying into Houston the day before and we didn't book our flight through Princess. Is there anyone who has traveled from Houston to Galveston via shuttle, train, or bus? we're looking for someway other than renting a car.

thanks!

We have rented a car for our Conquest cruise scheduled for the end of April. Although I know you said that you were looking for other options, it's really not expensive and the one large benefit is the fact that you can get to the port as you please. You won't have to worry about shuttles and relying on someone else. Many people that I have talked to on CC have gone this route and it seems to have worked for them.

Happy Sailing.

We have been several times, and have used several options to get to Galveston. We have rented a limo, have rented a car, and have used the cruise line shuttle. What we do is arrive in Houston the day before, and stay in a hotel near the airport, then the next morning, we take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and catch the cruise shuttle to the ship. Works well.

Vette

Here is a link to a shuttle service that would charge $140 plus tip for 2 people round trip. They do describe some baggage limits, but I think they aren't far off those for the airlines. There is no public transportation that I know of. There's no train, it's outside the Houston bus service area, and it's 70+ miles away. If you don't already have your flights, Houston Hobby Airport is closer at 40 miles away. The same shuttle service from there is $120 plus tip. http://transportation.galveston.com/services.aspx?Airport=B&Trip=R&adults=2&children=0&seniors=0&submitoff.x=37&submitoff.y=13

As the poster above said, we have also tried all the options -- renting a car, hiring a limo, and cruise line transfers. Frankly, the cruise line transfers are as good as anything. A limo also works well. Renting a car is one we will probably not do again. It is OK, but something of a hassle.

For returning to Houston after the cruise I definitely recommend the cruise line transfers. They are the easiest and most convenient for a rather chaotic disembarkation process.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived