Celebrity Panama City by motor coach tour

lysolqn

I've also posted this in the destinations forum. Has anyone taken this eight hour tour from Colon, Panama? We've been through the canal twice but Colon happens to be a stop on our Constellation W. Caribbean cruise next month and we were wondering about this tour which goes to Panama City and the old colonial city. We're not particularly fond of organized tours, especially all day tours but there really doesn't appear to be another "safe" way of seeing Panama City. Is it worth the time or should we remain onboard for the day? Any firsthand info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

We've done the Canal transit itinerary several times, it's our favorite "repeat" itinerary. But we've never done a bus tour of Panama City. I've heard various reports of how enjoyable it was, and others of how boring it was.

The one thing I do know is that caution is of the utmost concern when going ashore in Panama. On our last trip through the Canal a pre-purchased shore excursion was cancelled even prior to sailing. Once aboard I inquired with the Shore Excursion office as to why. I was told that it was due to previous tours reporting an overwhelming feeling of being unsafe and a total lack of confidence in the tour provider. I was glad to know Celebrity was being that responsive to concerns and to passenger safety.

Also on that trip, when stopping in Fuerte Amador for the night, a general announcement was made by the Cruise Director warning all passengers going ashore who were NOT on a shore excursion, to not venture any further than the pier shops.

The shore excursions to the Canal interpretive centers and museums were quite interesting. Beyond that, I can't speak from any further Panama shore experience.

Please don't misinterpret this as negative. We love the Canal sailings. We love the beauty of Panama as seen from the Canal. It's a fabulous experience to transit the Canal. Hopefully, you'll even see the preparations they're making for the updating and widening of the Canal.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time seeing this historic piece of world history.

CM

CM

Just returned from the Constellation (Jan 29th thru Feb 9) where I took this particular Panama City by Motorcoach tour. It was very nice! If you have already been through the locks, this provides an opportunity to see Panama from a different perspective. The drive is really quite pleasant. Our guide called it a 3-city tour because you actually get to see Panama City from three different perspectives: The really old parts of the city which are ruins (and a small but interesting and nice museum); the older parts of the city which are now a UNESCO World Heritage site and are being restored and will be beautiful; and the modern Panama city (on drive by and a brief lunch). You also get to see the Gatun locks from the visitors center -- another different perspective. All in all, I enjoyed the trip. At no time did I feel "unsafe". Between remaining on board and taking this trip, take the trip!

Squirrel's Mom, thanks for the info. We've booked the tour for our cruise in March and it's always good to hear from someone who's already been where we're going! How much time did you spend in the "modern" city (that's really our objective) and how much of it did you get to see? Do you feel you spent most of the day just sitting on the bus and watching the world go by or were there enough opportunities to get off and walk around? Also, how was the restaurant for lunch? Thanks.

Since all three areas are technically in the modern city -- just different areas of it -- it's a little hard to break it down. There really isn't much there to get out an look around at. Lots of very impressive tall buildings (especially in the financial district) and several large shopping centers but it really is a large metropolitan city with the two other sections sort of "tucked in". The lunch was at a fairly unimpressive luncheonette right across the street from the Pacific Ocean. (I'm not certain that all the little buses -- about 12 passengers each -- went to the same place.) But the food was good (choice of chicken or shredded beef -- take the beef; tasty cabbage slaw and rice; interesting cookies for dessert and GREAT coffee (but be sure to ask for cream or sugar when ordering). There really didn't seem to be al lot that I would have walked around for in this section but it's important to note that we were there on a SUNDAY and that the city seems to sort of roll up the sidewalks and everyone goes to a river to swim. It was also very hot. In the OLDEST section, we had the opportunity to walk around the ruins (which were a short drive from museum) so we did more than a little walking there. And the walking in the area being restored was probably the nicest, most beautiful, hottest and most interesting. The old prison (now some very nice art galleries and high end shops) was fascinating. When fully restored, this area will be totally unbelievable!!!

Lots of walking too at the locks where the visitors center is about 65 steps up (but there is also an observation area at ground level).

Not for a minute did it seem like a long tour to me. We had a great guide who also had a degree in nutrition who also shared great stuff about pineapples and cilantro and how they help you control weight! (We'll just see about that.)

Hope you enjoy! There are certainly more active things to do (kayaking and such) but I did feel that I had gotten my money's worth and that I definitely learned something about Panama. (Actually, this was a substitute tour for me as I had signed up for the Best of Casco tour but that was cancelled for lack of interest and upon closer reading, I realized that this tour included that one plus lunch and more. The Celebrity tour materials say the Casco tour is a 15 minute bus ride. CLEARLY, a typo!)

We have been thru the canal six times. Last year we dockd at Amador and were able to do a tour. It was one of thebest . Small Vans. Need walking shoes . We usually don't do organized tours. This one was well worth the moneyh. Don't miss this tour.

Archived