What do you tell friends and family?

DiannaInVA

After reading this board I decided to go ahead and book a cruise for myself. My family and friends couldn't afford it or can't take the time off on such short notice. And frankly I really want to go by myself. I've had great vacations with friends, but I also enjoy doing things by myself without having to worry about what others want to do.

Anyway, when I do tell friends and relatives that I decided to go alone, they all look at me like I'm crazy!! I feel like I have to explain myself and convince them it's perfectly okay to go by myself...plus there are those people, whom I love, but don't really want to go with, so I feel bad when I tell them because I think they may be hurt that I'm not inviting them...

No one seems to understand, they either seem to think I'm going to meet someone that they don't know, or that there's something wrong/pathetic about going by myself. :(

If they don't understand or approve, who cares. It is your business and unless they are paying for your cruise, you should not have to explain your actions to anyone. Cruising alone can be very enjoyable. And most importantly you get to do what you want t do when you want to do it.

Enjoy your crises.

Annieeee

I am booked for my first solo cruise in Dec. I tried for a month to get others (friends, family) to join. No takers! It's thier loss. I recently had someone ask if was still going on the cruise. They wanted to know if I got anyone else to go, they were thinking about it. I told them I had already booked and was going by myself. I gave them the sailing date and ship and my PVP's number if they wanted to book. So far nothing. I am @ the point now, where I don't think i want anyone to go with me. LOL

I booked my very first Cruise for March of 2008, recently got divorced and decided to try cruising so I am going alone, the thought of sharing a cabin wiht a toal stranger just does not turn me on... and who knows maybe I will love this enough to go again and again and again.... I actully had aveteran cruising frined offer to let me bunk up with his 8 year old Daughter NOT! and I am gettign really excited! I have to say I have gotten "who are you going with" and of course my mother sthat is dangerous blah blah, But I am planning my trip well and I plan on taking full advantage of the relaxing atmosphere.... the only sugestion I had (and I decided to do) was my Ex sugested I fly tha tway I woul dbe safeer than driving by myself and I wouldnt have to drive 8 hours back when I return... he will probably take care of my house and pick me up at the airport when I go and come back ... but I just want ot have a great time with just me!

Seems like a lot of us are divorced. As you can see from my signature, I am now a confirmed solo cruiser. I go on one with my 10 year old son and then one by myself. It started as a life lesson for my son (long story), and looks like it's going to be an annual thing. I loved it and it keeps him humble. My only problem is childcare while I am gone.

A couple of you mentioned cost. I'm going on the Enchantment in Dec. 5 days - $464! (OK it's an inside- but hey!). I also noticed a 3 day Majesty of the Seas on 9/7/07 for only $199 per person - that's less than $400 including the dreaded single supplement. Also, watch Royal Caribbean's promowaves, they do have some sailings that only charge 150% for the single supplement (vs. the standard 200%).

Glad I found this thread!

I too travel alone for the most part. I tell people when they ask "I don't want to be 80 sitting in my rocking chair on the porch saying I wish I had done...." That usually shuts them up. Luckily my family is great about me travelling alone. I guess they are used to it by now. I do call my parents to let them know I arrived safely. And usually once during the trip. I figure it is the least I can do to ease their minds a little.

I am cruising solo in September. My biggest reason is that I just need some time to get away. I'd prefer not to go with anyone for this trip, but out of obligation I did ask several people. However, I purposely scheduled the trip for 9/16/07... note, this is the week AFTER school begins so, darn! They couldn't make it. lol

What would people think of a 21 year old female cruising on her own?

Am thinking of going on a short, as in 2 night, solo cruise some time early next year. That's if the parents will allow me. *grins* Its not that they don't trust me on a ship alone. Its just that I'm not even supposed to think about cruising until next June.

After reading this board I decided to go ahead and book a cruise for myself. My family and friends couldn't afford it or can't take the time off on such short notice. And frankly I really want to go by myself. I've had great vacations with friends, but I also enjoy doing things by myself without having to worry about what others want to do.

Anyway, when I do tell friends and relatives that I decided to go alone, they all look at me like I'm crazy!! I feel like I have to explain myself and convince them it's perfectly okay to go by myself...plus there are those people, whom I love, but don't really want to go with, so I feel bad when I tell them because I think they may be hurt that I'm not inviting them...

No one seems to understand, they either seem to think I'm going to meet someone that they don't know, or that there's something wrong/pathetic about going by myself. :(

It's like doing anything by yourself. Some people don't understand how I can even have lunch out by myself. Shoot that is the only time I get to eat what I want (my DH won't eat Chinese, Vietnamese or any other foreign food). I enjoy sitting there eating what I want and not worrying if there is SOMETHING he will eat. I think a cruise alone would be fine unless you felt unsafe traveling alone. I say enjoy yourself.

I paid for my friend to come on a cruise with me. When she kind of announced it at a shower I think a few people felt jealous. Oh well, they will get over it.

Linda

>>Avariel

Am thinking of going on a short, as in 2 night, solo cruise some time early next year. That's if the parents will allow me. *grins* Its not that they don't trust me on a ship alone. Its just that I'm not even supposed to think about cruising until next June.<<

Forget what "people would think." If this is something that you want to do, you feel ready to do, you are prepared to do, by all means, go ahead, take the cruise. Don't live with regrets. You'll hear all the caveats that are variations of "Just Be Careful," but no-one ever tells you what be careful means.

Trust your gut. You know what's good and bad. Go, have a great time. I'll bet you everybody else on your cruise is there to relax, have fun, to make friends, and to have a great time. You do the same, you'll be fine.

Am thinking of going on a short, as in 2 night, solo cruise some time early next year. That's if the parents will allow me. *grins* Its not that they don't trust me on a ship alone. Its just that I'm not even supposed to think about cruising until next June.

I'd check into whether or not you can even cruise without your parents. My daughter was only allowed to cruise without a parent (at the age of 22), because she was married.

I found this, but I would check with the cruise line you are wishing to use: "How old do you have to be to cruise without a guardian?

Most cruise lines have a minimum age requirement of 21 for young people travelling without their parents. If any occupant in the cabin is under 21, then a passenger at least 25 years old must be booked in the cabin with them."

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this year we took my mom on a cruise for her 90th birthday along with my daughter as her cabin mate. Though my daughter was traveling in essence as a single, she had a great time. Made new friends on the excursions she booked and at the evening venues. Go and enjoy yourself.

Barry and I went on our first cruise 2 yrs ago on the Vision of the Seas to Mexico, He like it, I loved it, enough to go back again. So for the first time in my 37 years I'm doing something on my own. It's a little scary, but I booked cruise and flight online with rcc and it looks like they make it pretty easy. I haven't told anyone else but Hubby that I'm going on a solo cruise, I'm sure I'll get a few strange looks from friends. I'm looking forward to getting up early, reading, horse back riding and just having some ME time. If I like it as much as I think I will, this could get to be a yearly thing, same time same ship. Anna Lee:D

• 4 weeks later...

Gee everyone I know has said to me "Oh I know you will have a blast and meet tons of new friends". They all know I like my alone time and have no problems talking to new people.

Or wait, maybe they just don't care about me:eek:

Joanne

Before I was married I usually always went on vacation by myself...whether it was a resort or cruise....and the great thing is they were the best vacations I've had. I think it forces you to meet other people...plus you can really relax and do what you want. Now that I'm single again....I take my kids with me for a week and the other week.....I go by myself. I don't explain anything to anyone because unless they are paying my way....it ain't non of their business. So go an have urself and great vacation...and behave BABY!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived