How early do you book airfare?

LHC

I'm relatively new to cruising (fourth cruise coming up this summer), but travel by air frequently.

I'd highly recommend arriving one day in advance of your cruise. As has been pointed out, things happen (bomb scares, delays due to mechanical problems, missed connections, headwinds requiring refueling stops even on a "non-stop"). And bad weather elsewhere can upset your travel schedule from Knoxville, or wherever. It's sunny and clear where you are, but your plane scheduled to fly you from Knoxville to Fort Lauderdale is delayed by bad weather at DEN or ORD.

Atlanta is not that bad to negotiate, especially if the airline is alerted to your special needs (wheelchair trasnsfer, oxygen, cart to carry you from gate to gate) in advance. And since it is a larger hub with many more flights than Charlotte, you are more likely to be accommodated on another flight should anything go wrong with your schedule. With so many flights full these days, that is a big advantage.

As to booking the flight at the right price, I generally know a "good price" from an expensive one on a given route(check kayak, farecast, or others), or if not I ask the TA. Then book when you see a good price. Some airlines will give you a refund if you find a better price later on, but you have to ask for it.

I never book my airfare until about 60 or so days out ... and certainly not until I've made final payment on a cruise. You never know ... plans could change, you might have to cancel or reschedule the cruise. Up until final payment date, I don't like to chance have non-refundable airfare booked. So, I wait until the final payment has been made ... and I know that I am pretty committed to the cruise (I will only be cancelling in an emergency that the insurance would kick in for) and then I book my airfare.

Seems safer that way.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived