Melbourne

We want to hire a private driver for Melbourne, do you think we can get out of the city to The Great Ocean Road while we're in port? I think it's about 8 hours in port. We're more into the scenic than the shopping, wines, and eating in the city. I know we won't be able to take in all of it, but maybe just some of the closest highlights. Do you think we would be able to pull this off?

Mmmm. Thats a tough one. Sure you can do a day trip to the Great Ocean Road - we have often gone down to Torquay for the day but the most scenic part of the Great Ocean Road (IMHO) is at least a 2 hour drive away, more towards Lorne and further along to Apollo Bay and the 12 Apostles. The drive from Melbourne to the beginning of the Great Ocean Road is quite boring, not at all scenic and for some reason or another, there always seems to be traffic congestion. Perhaps you could do a light plane or helicopter trip from Avalon Airport that would take in this amazing place.

Whatever you decide to do, you will love Melbourne.

Jane;)

You could easily get to Lorne which is only a 2 hour trip and you would see some wonderful scenary as the drive is lovely after Anglesea which is an hour and a half away from Melbourne and then it just gets better and better.

We had our beach house at Lorne for 25 years so I know that road so well and know how fantastic the views are around each corner of the road.

Apollo Bay is another 40 minutes on further and that would be as far as I would risk with only 8 hours in port. The Great Ocean Road is magnificent after Lorne and this would give you a great idea of how the Returned Soldiers built this road after WW1 and what they must have gone through to build it. Actually, once you leave Apollo Bay, the road goes inland for most of the drive to the 12 Apostles so if you can forget about seeing them, you will have been on the best part of the Great Ocean Road.

I can give you the name of a private limousine company that specializes in taking guests on trips from Melbourne if you like to have it.

If you decide not to do this trip, then enjoy Melbourne. We were in the city today and it is truly beautiful. We have travelled extensively and often forget how our well our city compares to the famous ones throughout the world. We have everything at our fingertips and it is just so clean.

Jennie

Jeannie and Jane02,

I hope you don't mind but I'm lurking here for info. My daughter-in-law is also an "Aussie Gal" and her parents live in Langwarrin, apparently this is just outside of Melbourne. We're doing a 31 day cruise, Sydney to San Francisco in April 2008, and they have invited us to Australia for a month, pre-cruise, so we'll have lots of time to see Melbourne. We're really looking forward to it.

Any recommendations? We are planning on going to Port Douglas/Cairns so I can scuba dive the GBR and, of course, we'll see Sydney before we cruise. Other than that we're pretty open.

Denny

Seeing you will be in Australia for a month, I would try and go over to Tasmania for at least 5-7 days. Tasmania is beautiful, has a lot of history and it is just so easy to get around.

You could fly to Hobart, pick up a hire car and visit Port Arthur and Richmond before heading up the East coast visiting Freycinet National Park, then on to Launceston and up the Tamar Valley before heading to Cradle Mountian. After leaving Cradle Mountain head across to Strahan and then back to Hobart. You would have no trouble driving, as there is very little traffic over there.

It would give you a contrast to your visit to FNQ and even to Melbourne. In our state I would do a trip along the Great Ocean Road, up to our Grampian Mountains, across to Ballarat and then back to the city. This is a well known tourist trail and would take about 4 or 5 days depending on how long you spend along the way.

Jennie

Hi Denny - you lucky thing having a month to travel around.:D I agree with Jennie - Tasmania is lovely anytime of the year. My grandparents lived there so every school holidays for as long as I can remember, I used to go over and stay with them.

If you do the drive that was suggested that includes Ballarat, don't forget to include a night or so in Daylesford - its one of our favorite places. Have lunch or stay at the LakeHouse. We go there a couple of times a year for a weekend. There are some great restaurants and day spas.

Also Chateau Yerring up in the Yarra Valley is a gorgeous place to stay, eat & drink.

You will love the GBW - the diving is sensational. Try and get to Port Douglas - its much nicer than Cairns. If you want some total indulgence, spend a few nights at Bedarra Island:D . We had a week there in November - it was divine.

We did a fantastic cruise from Darwin to Broome last year - through the Kimberley. It is an amazing part of Australia to visit and I think Broome is one of the best beaches in the world. However, it is a long, long trip and of course you can't see everything in a month. Maybe next time!!

Jane;)

Jennie and Jane,

Wow!!!! So many things to see and do. I think I need a year rather than month.

It's funny that both of you should mention Tasmania because, just this very morning, my wife and I were discussing going there, so it's on the list now.

Here is what I have so far:

Melbourne, including Wilson's Promotory National Park

The Great Ocean Road

Port Douglas and the GBR

Adelaide and Kangaroo Island

Tasmania

Sydney

It looks like my month is going to go quickly.

The only reason we are able to do this is because we are both retiring on May 4, 2007 so neither of us has to worry about vacation time.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I truly appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Denny

Denny,

Your list of places to see here is a good mix and you should see a good diversity of our flora and fauna.

Now the fun part begins, the planning and what you will do first. I hope you will enjoy your time "down under" in our country next year.

Jennie

Archived