There's got to be more than tubbing and zip lining in Belize, no?

TeeBuccs

I am desperately seeking feedback on things to do in Belize. I am not thrilled aobut cave tubbing option and physically may not be up to the whole zip lining thing. What else can one do to get outside of the downtown pier area?

I have seen mentions of going to Caye Caulker and other places for peaceful beach and snorkeling. (maybe jet ski) - but not sure logicistcally how easy or difficult it may be to get to these places. (Don't want to miss the ship, etc...)

We are sailing on Valor in April and I would really appreciate any feedback some may have....

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am desperately seeking feedback on things to do in Belize. I am not thrilled aobut cave tubbing option and physically may not be up to the whole zip lining thing. What else can one do to get outside of the downtown pier area?

I have seen mentions of going to Caye Caulker and other places for peaceful beach and snorkeling. (maybe jet ski) - but not sure logicistcally how easy or difficult it may be to get to these places. (Don't want to miss the ship, etc...)

We are sailing on Valor in April and I would really appreciate any feedback some may have....

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You can visit Mayan ruins, do snorkeling, snuba, there is a zoo. If you are concerned with missing the ship, book through the cruise line.

I have been posting a ton of info about Belize. It is a very hard country to do in one day, because a lot of the great activities are far away from Belize City. You can do so much in Belize...I went there in 2004 and spent 3 weeks, and I could have spent much longer.

Belize is actually one of the prime dive spots in the world. I did a lot of diving there, and it was wonderful...I know it's sort of a dive cliche, but The Blue Hole was one of those experiences I'll never forget. The snorkeling can be equally good. I had several of my fellow divers who had snorkeled Shark Ray Alley (the one on Ambergris Caye and not the one on Caye Caulker) and they described the experience as once-in-a-lifetime. If you like to snorkel, this will be a great destination for you.

The problem with Belize as a port is that the ships make people feel like they HAVE to do a cruise shore excursion... this is not true. The water taxi company is very close to where you will tender into, or you can grab a taxi and go to the Belize Municipal Airport and take a flight ANYWHERE. Placencia is a great Belize destination (a 35 minute flight), but it is a bit pricey once you factor in $130 roundtrip airfare. I think the Cayes are the way to go. I'm going to take my mom over to Ambergris Caye (San Pedro) and do some snorkeling and just general lounging around.

Belize is a GREAT country, folks. I don't know about it as a cruise destination, but it is really wonderful. From Caracol and Xunantunich (Mayan Ruins) to the Mountain Pine Ridge, the ATM cave, Pook's Hill and the beach resorts, there is a wealth of activities in this country, and I hope people never discover it so that I can have it all to myself :p

I hope this is helpful. If you need any specific advice, contact me, and I'll give you more specifics.

I was thinking the same thing as the OP...seems all this board is about is zip lining and cave tubing, neither of which I am into.

Thanks for the website link....a ton of info there!!

Barbara...is this an island that you could grab a taxi @ a reasonable rate and tour the island for the day? I have usually done this on my past cruises. I find it to be better & my experiences have been much greater covering more things and not being on a time limit. Are there specific places we should see?

We will be honeymooning (and 1 week away with no teenagers!!), so is there a particular Caye you might recommend that would be more private, yet we can eat, have a drink or 2 and relax?

Trying to work out the options...we are cruising on the Valor on 4/1. We will be horseback riding early the next day , so don't want something that will tire us for getting up early the next day. It's one of those 4 ports in 4 days anyway, with the sea days on the beginning & end.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

I was thinking the same thing as the OP...seems all this board is about is zip lining and cave tubing, neither of which I am into.

Thanks for the website link....a ton of info there!!

Barbara...is this an island that you could grab a taxi @ a reasonable rate and tour the island for the day? I have usually done this on my past cruises. I find it to be better & my experiences have been much greater covering more things and not being on a time limit. Are there specific places we should see?

We will be honeymooning (and 1 week away with no teenagers!!), so is there a particular Caye you might recommend that would be more private, yet we can eat, have a drink or 2 and relax?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Hi.....I am not Barbara, but from reading these boards, JMO Belize is not a port where you want to just grab a cab...

it is maybe more like Jamaica where you need a tour or a planned day, the city is pretty poor from all accounts, and beggars, not all that safe

The cayes are mostly thru the ship, via tenders....logistics and time make getting to a beach on your own pretty complicated

I am personally doing the Altun Ha Ruins tour here and then just a little shopping or a drink at the Pier "Tourist Village". Cave tubing and zip lining does not appeal to me.

This seems to be a place to use extra caution, read the sad threads about Kelly who was mauled by a monkey at the rather upscale Maruba Spa Resort....they are doing nothing to help her.

Belize is a third world country, and while it may be a beautiful place with lots of eco adventures and historical stuff etc, the port of Belize City is by all accounts not that great or very safe.

Don't expect the same "ease" of the ship docking and walking off to be greeted by cabbies/jitneys, easy to get to beaches, etc that you would find in say Grand Cayman or the Eastern Carribean JMO

I appreciate the information - I am quite intrigued by the country now. As for the water taxi system, do you know how that works? Are they pretty reliable getting you to and fro on a regualar schedule? The snorkling adventure you mentioned near the Blue Hole deffinately is right up my alley and appeals to me but I need to remain cognizant of timing to get back to the pier in plenty of time to catch the Valor.

We are sailing on 4/29 so FL Cruiser Girl - when you return I would love to hear what you found out and any helpfun hints!

Thanks all, I continue to be optimistic!!!

Hi.....I am not Barbara, but from reading these boards, JMO Belize is not a port where you want to just grab a cab...

it is maybe more like Jamaica where you need a tour or a planned day, the city is pretty poor from all accounts, and beggars, not all that safe

The cayes are mostly thru the ship, via tenders....logistics and time make getting to a beach on your own pretty complicated

I am personally doing the Altun Ha Ruins tour here and then just a little shopping or a drink at the Pier "Tourist Village". Cave tubing and zip lining does not appeal to me.

This seems to be a place to use extra caution, read the sad threads about Kelly who was mauled by a monkey at the rather upscale Maruba Spa Resort....they are doing nothing to help her.

Belize is a third world country, and while it may be a beautiful place with lots of eco adventures and historical stuff etc, the port of Belize City is by all accounts not that great or very safe.

Don't expect the same "ease" of the ship docking and walking off to be greeted by cabbies/jitneys, easy to get to beaches, etc that you would find in say Grand Cayman or the Eastern Carribean JMO

I think I would rely on the openion of people who have actually been there. We were there in November and found it to be a friendly and safe port. I wouldn't go there with a negetive attitude. We had a great time with "captain your own boat" tour through Island Marketing. I think the monkey thing was an islolated incident. Actually, it is illegal to keep a pet monkey in Belize.

I think I would rely on the openion of people who have actually been there. We were there in November and found it to be a friendly and safe port. I wouldn't go there with a negetive attitude. We had a great time with "captain your own boat" tour through Island Marketing. I think the monkey thing was an islolated incident. Actually, it is illegal to keep a pet monkey in Belize.

I have done the following tour with Carnival:

Barrier Reef Snorkel At Turneffe With Beach Break

The advantage is they take you right from the ship, you do not even go into Belize. Short ride to reef, Snorkel on the barrier reef, then go to private island to relax. Tour starts 12:30, so don't even have to get up early that day!

We are signed up for this next time, it goes on the same catamaran as the snorkel people, but uses Snuba instead of snorkeling. Can stay underwater for 30 minutes.

Snuba At Turneffe & Beach Break

The following tour also goes directly from ship to the private island, leaves earlier than the snorkel trips:

Private Island Beach Break

LOL>>> I am relying on the opinions of those who have been there...there are many threads here saying to not venture out on your own.

Isolated incident I will grant you...what if you had injured yourself on a defective boat thru Island Marketing and incurred medical expenses and couldn't work etc....??? I guess I should just tell you something positive??

Can anyone explain to me how keeping positive attitude keeps away accidents, injuries, or potential harm anywhere??? If I walk out in a rough area of downtown Miami at night will a positive attitude keep away a mugger or carjacker???

This also reminds me of threads where people get hurt on scooters or have car accidents in ports and people will post "I rented a car at xxx port and it was fine">> of course it was, but what if it is not "fine"??

what recompense do you have?

I am all for private tours in most ports...but with Belize I am not sure.

Politically incorrect or not, it is a truly third world country.

Add in the fact of a pretty long tender ride.

If you are hurt on an excursion, if you miss the ship, what will they do??

What is YOUR advice on this??

I have done the following tour with Carnival:

Barrier Reef Snorkel At Turneffe With Beach Break

The advantage is they take you right from the ship, you do not even go into Belize. Short ride to reef, Snorkel on the barrier reef, then go to private island to relax. Tour starts 12:30, so don't even have to get up early that day!

We are signed up for this next time, it goes on the same catamaran as the snorkel people, but uses Snuba instead of snorkeling. Can stay underwater for 30 minutes.

Snuba At Turneffe & Beach Break

The following tour also goes directly from ship to the private island, leaves earlier than the snorkel trips:

Private Island Beach Break

Thanks....tho I have not been there, I have read reviews and looked at maps....to go to the cayes it seems that one should go thru the ship, as it is much easier, tender right from the ship, with no backtracking

also the ship excursions do have first priority it seems

to go to a caye on your own you have to get in a tender and go to belize pier and then find the ferry and backtrack over to the cayes, all the while watching the clock and depending on on "no problems" etc

(sometimes it is not a matter of being Negative, but being practical and logical LOL. Expect the best but prepare for the worst)

I don't think Belize is any more or less safe than any other port, personally. I felt much less safe in Puerto Vallarta than I did in Belize, and I spent weeks in Belize. Shoot...I feel less safe in most U.S. cities, frankly. Any person can have a negative experience anywhere. There are no guarantees that you won't be mugged in Galveston on the way to the ship. I think most street crime is probably a lot less prevalent in 3rd world countries than it is in some other places. Anyway, that is just my soapbox, but I went everywhere in Belize, and I NEVER felt unsafe. I can't say the same things about my times in NYC, L.A., Miami or virtually any other city in the U.S.

As to making it back to the ship in time, you need to make sure you're careful and allow for plenty of time. If the weather is good, you should have no problem at all taking a water taxi or a flight. The only time you need to worry is if the weather gets so bad that they aren't flying...and if it's that bad, you're not going to want to go anywhere anyway. I found the flights to be very prompt. I'm going to go online and book my flight to San Pedro in advance. As to taking a cab around the island, you won't really need to. You can rent a golf cart, but it's a very small island, and the main street is walkable (even from the airport). If you want to go to some of the parks and things, they are only reachable by boat, and you can probably rent a boat right then and there, but if you are a type A personality (like I am) and want to plan it in advance, go to that goambergriscaye.com website, and you can contact a tour company.

If you have the right weather and some willingness to take a chance, Belize can be a very amazing port. There is always a possibility that something can go wrong ANYWHERE and at ANY TIME in your life, but I've had most of my best experiences doing things that weren't 100% guaranteed. If you want to do something that doesn't have the high ship prices but is more organized and a little "safer", I've heard good things about Yhony at http://www.cave-tubing.com

Enjoy! It really is a great port.

Barbara, have you ever been on a cruise or tendered??

why go from the ship to the pier, then get over to the ferry and backtrack??? Makes NO sense to me...

Not to mention that it can take time just to tender back and forth in Belize, it is pretty far out from the shore compared to some other ports from what I read

I don't see how a "positive" attitude is helping Kelly in her plight?? She did nothing to warrant the attack from the monkey.....to me it was negligence on the part of the resort, and they and Island Marketing are doing nothing to help her...??

I feel I have tons of common sense...

not only that...why give the url for cave tubing when the topic of THIS thread is "got to be more than cave tubing"?? The OP obviously does not want to go cave tubing and there are tons of posts about cave tubing. Why add the url for it yet again??

Negative?? No...JMO practical.

I agree with others that recommend snorkeling or the cays (islands). My husband and I fell in love with Caye Caulker when we spent a few days there in 2005. Ambergeris is also nice, but we found it to be a bit touristy after Caye Caulker. We also spent several days inland exploring what the rest of the country has to offer. In my opinion, most of the really good stuff is too far from the ship to be worth it for a shore excursion.

LOL>>> I am relying on the opinions of those who have been there...there are many threads here saying to not venture out on your own.

Isolated incident I will grant you...what if you had injured yourself on a defective boat thru Island Marketing and incurred medical expenses and couldn't work etc....??? I guess I should just tell you something positive??

Can anyone explain to me how keeping positive attitude keeps away accidents, injuries, or potential harm anywhere??? If I walk out in a rough area of downtown Miami at night will a positive attitude keep away a mugger or carjacker???

This also reminds me of threads where people get hurt on scooters or have car accidents in ports and people will post "I rented a car at xxx port and it was fine">> of course it was, but what if it is not "fine"??

what recompense do you have?

I am all for private tours in most ports...but with Belize I am not sure.

Politically incorrect or not, it is a truly third world country.

Add in the fact of a pretty long tender ride.

If you are hurt on an excursion, if you miss the ship, what will they do??

What is YOUR advice on this??

Lighten up! You can get killed walking across the street. If you stay on the ship, you can slip and fall and break your neck. You'r plane may crash. The only really safe thing to do is stay home, but your house might be hit by lightening and burn down. You might have a defective smoke detector and not be able to escape the flames. If you do get out, and you have smoke inhalation problems, the ambulance taking you to the hospital might run out of gas. If you do get to the hospital, you might be treated by a "third world" doctor.

Lighten up! You can get killed walking across the street. If you stay on the ship, you can slip and fall and break your neck. You'r plane may crash. The only really safe thing to do is stay home, but your house might be hit by lightening and burn down. You might have a defective smoke detector and not be able to escape the flames. If you do get out, and you have smoke inhalation problems, the ambulance taking you to the hospital might run out of gas. If you do get to the hospital, you might be treated by a "third world" doctor.

Hmmm....will you tell the girl who was attacked by a pet monkey at a resort there and may limp for life?? Will you tell her to lighten up?? The resort in Belize is doing nothing to help her

Also...read the various reviews where people did NOT feel safe...

and take a look at a map...there is some really bad advice being given here, ie, to tender in and then walk to the marina and take a ferry to the cayes...

it makes much more sense to take a ship excursion directly from ship to the cayes, bypassing the tender to shore which would back track you...

there are a few excursion companies at the pier who could also get you to the cayes, safer and easier than trying to get to a ferry yourself...

I think the long tender ride and the fact that most good "excursion" places are really far from Belize City makes this different from other ports.

I don't think Belize is any more or less safe than any other port, personally. I felt much less safe in Puerto Vallarta than I did in Belize, and I spent weeks in Belize. Shoot...I feel less safe in most U.S. cities, frankly. Any person can have a negative experience anywhere. There are no guarantees that you won't be mugged in Galveston on the way to the ship. I think most street crime is probably a lot less prevalent in 3rd world countries than it is in some other places. Anyway, that is just my soapbox, but I went everywhere in Belize, and I NEVER felt unsafe. I can't say the same things about my times in NYC, L.A., Miami or virtually any other city in the U.S.

As to making it back to the ship in time, you need to make sure you're careful and allow for plenty of time. If the weather is good, you should have no problem at all taking a water taxi or a flight. The only time you need to worry is if the weather gets so bad that they aren't flying...and if it's that bad, you're not going to want to go anywhere anyway. I found the flights to be very prompt. I'm going to go online and book my flight to San Pedro in advance. As to taking a cab around the island, you won't really need to. You can rent a golf cart, but it's a very small island, and the main street is walkable (even from the airport). If you want to go to some of the parks and things, they are only reachable by boat, and you can probably rent a boat right then and there, but if you are a type A personality (like I am) and want to plan it in advance, go to that goambergriscaye.com website, and you can contact a tour company.

If you have the right weather and some willingness to take a chance, Belize can be a very amazing port. There is always a possibility that something can go wrong ANYWHERE and at ANY TIME in your life, but I've had most of my best experiences doing things that weren't 100% guaranteed. If you want to do something that doesn't have the high ship prices but is more organized and a little "safer", I've heard good things about Yhony at http://www.cave-tubing.com

Enjoy! It really is a great port.

I agree 100%. Belize has more of a Carribean island feel than a Central American country. They are relatively well off and the crime rate is very low.

Cheri,

Why are you singling me out for nasty comments? I have not replied to you directly at all until now or to anything you said, and I never said you were negative or any other thing. I am just trying to be helpful and kind to people who may need help with this port. In fact, I agree with you that doing a direct shore excursion to the Cayes can be a good idea IF your cruise line offers what you want. In my case, they don't, but if they did, it would probably be overpriced and not really offer me the freedom to do what I want on the islands. I think you are confusing me with other posters who have replied to you. To answer your question to me, yes I have been cruising many times, yes I have tendered, and yes I have spent a lot of time in Belize and have set ideas on what I want to do. And yes, I did recommend the cave-tubing.com thing. You're right...the title of this thread does request other options than cave-tubing, and I made a mistake. I do that occasionally, and I'm sorry. Please disregard the website.

I didn't realize that it would be so controversial to suggest that you could have a good time without doing a shore excursion. I thought it was a pretty mild and non-offensive suggestion.

I agree 100%. Belize has more of a Carribean island feel than a Central American country. They are relatively well off and the crime rate is very low.

The Crime rate in on the rise especially in Belize city, the State Department has issued a warning that robbery & assaults have increased.

There are, like many other Caribbean islands, a wealthy area but to say the Crime rate is very low may cause people to let their guard down when infact they should not.

For people who have not been to Belize city, it is just like wondering around Montego Bay by yourself.

Went to Belize on the Miracle last November and did the snorkel excursion through the cruise line. We were able to go into the port in the morning, headed back to the ship for our excursion - had a great time while there, locals were very friendly. Make sure you try a Belikin beer while you are there. This is only available in Belize it is not exported. Have a great trip!

Went to Belize on the Miracle last November and did the snorkel excursion through the cruise line. We were able to go into the port in the morning, headed back to the ship for our excursion - had a great time while there, locals were very friendly. Make sure you try a Belikin beer while you are there. This is only available in Belize it is not exported. Have a great trip!

Archived