Amsterdam to Budapest Shopping/Food

Chesie

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what jewels are to be found in the various cities along the rivers. What item is a "must have" for each town. I am particularly interested in obtaining a true nutcracker.

Also, any speciality food items for each town. I plan on being on the treadmill and walking the top deck alot just to balance out the extra feeding frenzy! Any particular pubs/restaurants to go to?

Many thanks for your advise!

Chesie

Chesie,

I don´t want to disappoint you but nutcrackers are typical for Saxonia (which is not on your route). Anyway you´ll find nutcrackers in souvenir shops.

In Budapest visit the Café Gerbeaud, the Central Market and the Folkart Centrum (the later two for specialties and souvenirs).

In Vienna Café / Hotel Sacher is a must for the famous Sachertorte. Or Café Demel.

In Regensburg don´t miss the sausages in the Wurstkuchl right next to the stone bridge.

Also in Nuremberg try the sausages which are different from those in Regensburg.

I´ve posted lots of links in my review of our cruise on the MS Mozart (see linked in my signature).

Here´s another thread where I posted some information about the towns along the Danube river and the canal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=391735&highlight=wurstkuchl

steamboats

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what jewels are to be found in the various cities along the rivers. What item is a "must have" for each town. I am particularly interested in obtaining a true nutcracker.

Also, any speciality food items for each town. I plan on being on the treadmill and walking the top deck alot just to balance out the extra feeding frenzy! Any particular pubs/restaurants to go to?

Many thanks for your advise!

Chesie

I would suggest the rotisserie-roasted duck in Regensburg. Slices of succulent duck breast with crispy skin, served on a dark roll. We had it while touring the Thurn-Taxis Castle.

In Linz we enjoyed Cafe Austria just off the square. Fred the bartender/owner is friendly and happy to chat.

In Vienna take a peek at the Albertina Museum just across the street from Hotel Sacer. We causght a Picasso show there last December that included many we had never seen anywhere.

In Budapest we enjoyed a venison and duck platter at Appetito which is across the street from Buda Castle.

Thank you for your responses. My hips are spreading as I write!! I always like to indulge in the local culture and especially the food.

Steamboats - I am disappointed about the nutcrackers. I heard Nuremberg was noted for their woodworking and thought maybe that would be a good place to purchase one.

Thanks again,

Chesie

Chesie,

Nuremberg is famous for its ginger bread, its Christmas market and the Frankonian sausages :D . Woodworking and woodcarving is popular in mountain areas (Nuremberg is more a flat area famous for growing vegetables and garlic). You will find woodwork all along the Alpes and in Saxonia close to the border to the Czech Republic (the Ore Mountains). Why is it popular there? In those areas people lived from farming. They did own forest. And during winter time there was nothing else to do on the farm than carving wood (and the women did make bobbin laces in the Ore Mountains). Laces and nutcrackers were a good source for additional income. Christmas ornaments and pyramids are another famous product made in the Ore Mountains. The Alpes are more famous for wood carved statues or nativity scenes.

steamboats

Thank you Steamboats. We'll be going the end of June so I guess the Christmas Market is out but I'm sure I can down some ginger bread and sausages! Better to know what to expect beforehand than be disappointed when I arrive for a nutcracker.

I guess we'll just have to go back for the Christmas Market. It looks absolutely wonderful in the photos.

Thank you again for all your advise. Truly appreciate it!

Chesie

Chesie,

You´ll find ginger bread shops all over the year at the main market place in front of the big church in Nuremberg.

This might save your day: I talked to my parents and they instantly replied: The best place (outside the Ore Mountains or Erzgebirge) to buy a nutcracker would be Rothenburg ob der Tauber. There the year around Christmas shop by Kaethe Wohlfahrt (www.bestofchristmas.com). They do sell the original. Check their online shop for nutcrackers and then nutcrackers from the Erzgebirge.

Rothenburg is not on the rivers but usually the cruise ships do make a shore tour to Rothenburg.

steamboats

Chesie,

Sometimes it´s good to listen to your parents :D . I just wonder when my 7 years old DD will draw that conclusion!

I didn´t think of Rothenburg. But my Dad worked in Saxonia for more than 10 years near the Erzgebirge and he immideately came up with Rothenburg and the Christmas Shop there.

steamboats

Archived