Best Month for Hawaii

Underwatergal

Any month is great for Hawaii. :)

I've found January to be a great month ... as it is not too hot in the islands that you can't have a nice time. But there are probably other nice times too ... like I've heard fall is very nice.

Personally, I would go in January or February ... then I get to think ... "neener, neener" about all my friends back home shoveling snow. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hawaii, as a rule, the waves come up from about Thanksgiving to Easter. That's why all the surfing contests are during the winter months there.

So late spring to late fall the waves would generally be calmer.

Sounds like fun. I want to go back and visit Hawaii and see if any of my friends are still there.

Hawaii, as a rule, the waves come up from about Thanksgiving to Easter. That's why all the surfing contests are during the winter months there.

So late spring to late fall the waves would generally be calmer.

Sounds like fun. I want to go back and visit Hawaii and see if any of my friends are still there.

The R/T HAL sails conincide with the potential for rougher seas. It's also the best time to catch some whale action.

The problem with January is that it's the rainiest month of the year once you get there. Dec and Feb are only slightly less. March is only 1/2 as rainy as Dec, but by then the whales off Maui are past their peak viewing season. Decisions, decisions!! :)

We sailed Vancouver to Hawaii to San Diego in October and, inspite of a hurricane heading northwest from Mexico towards the islands, had calm seas at all times. At one point we were 200 nautical miles from the hurricane and the seas were fine, but it was windy.

It was a pleasant cruise, not too hot; the only drawback was no whales, only a few dolphins off Kona.

Thanks for all the tips. Truth to tell, I'd rather calmer seas than whale watching. The one time we were in Hawaii (in the airline days) it was March and the wind was just a'howlin'. That made me ask what the sea would be like.

'Course, going out of San Diego, there may just not be a choice:(

We were part of the HAL CC group (aka the 'Spamdammers') to Hawaii this past October. The seas were sooooooooo smooth that I (one who gets seasick very easily) wasn't even sure the ship was moving. Actually, the most motion was the earthquake we felt while anchored off of Kona. :eek: It did rain while in Maui.

Archived