brazilian wax

goldpenny

It is somewhat painful but I take 2 ibuprofens an hour before and it helps quite a bit. It is easier the first time if you trim up your hairs a bit as shorter hairs are less painful to remove.

It was a bit awkward the first time or two but I have used only 3 people for the almost ten years I have been getting them regularly. I am not particularly modest so can only speak for myself but I do not have a problem.

I suggest you pick up some Tend Skin or similar and apply it after your wax and daily thereafter as it helps a lot with ingrown hairs, a common side affect.

I cannot imagine NOT having one after so many years and find it really helps here in FL; I am pretty active and it is just a better choice for me in the constant heat and humidity.

Unless you are pulling a "Britney", I don't think anyone would know if you had a Brazilian!

It's not unbearable, at least for me. After having several children, I have lost a lot of modesty. Just remember, the person doing this is a professional and there is nothing she hasn't seen before!

I have heard it is more painful right before your period, but can't say if that is true.

I find that advantage of a brazilian is no worries about anything sticking out of your bathing suit. It also feels very clean and my husband really likes it.

You do have to be careful about ingrown hairs. Take the suggestions offered by caviargirl. Also, using a loofah daily helps. They should not be very bad then.

Ask the person doing the waxing how far in advance of your trip you should schedule. You are usually supposed to stay out of the sun right after a waxing; she will know.

I don't know what geographical area you live in, but I'd suggest a Brazilian wax to be done by a Brazilian..

I'd get it done about 10 days before the cruise, in case you have bumps, and I'd also start exfoliating the area too. A true brazilian also invovles EVERYTHING (yes, the pussy lips too) and some practicioners will not do that area.

Menina

:confused: I have never had one done.We are on the Easter cruise on the Grand Princess and I am thinking of having a brazilian done.Any tips are welcome.Is it very painful and/or embarrasing?:eek:

Thanks for the help.

Guess I'm just out of the waxing loop! I've endured necessary Peri- shaves for the delivery of four babies and I just don't understand why anyone would elect to willingly do this...Please I'm not condemning you, it's probably my problem , I just don't understand! My DD says it's just a generational issue Or more succinctly "You're old Mom!":rolleyes:

I just get a bikini wax and have never had anything pop out of my bathing suit.

I wouldn't get a brazilian , sounds very painful,( ingrown hairs! ) too much trouble, ( loofas, special creams) and well, just not nessesary. That said, if anyone wants to go through that for a man( I could care less if my husband "liked it" or not! LOL) or for their own feeling of cleanliness( although hair is not dirty if one bathes) then that is of course their choice,and I don't condem them ( actually, not true, the ones who do it just for a man I think are nutters,LOL the ones who do it for themselves are just fine)

Basically I am way too chicken to do that for anyone for any reason, I will not inflict pain on myself willingly, I mean, I am one of those people who thing the man who invented the epidural is a saint!

As a member of the culture that created it, I think I have a different perspective.

It's only a recent trend (within the last decade?) in this country, I think brought on more by the huge influx of Brazilians and other south americans who have immigrated here. In Brazil it's carries more sensual, "fashionable" meaning to it, versus hygenic. Have YOU ever tried to wear a bikini that resembles a postage stamp held together by a piece of dental floss? A brazilian tanga would not look right at ALL with a forest growing out from underneath it.

If your motive is looking good in a bikini, get a bikini wax. If your motive is to wear a brazilian tanga, get a brazilian. If your motive is to arouse your husband or lover, get a brazilian. I think people also in this culture view it as "oh my god, the forbidden area". If you were to ask a Brazilian about a wax, they could care less and they would not make a big deal out of it the way Americans would, debating pros and cons, etc.

To me it sounds like you need more of a bikini wax. If you're too freaked out to get a Brazilain then don't do it, it'll only hurt more. Menina

I just get a bikini wax and have never had anything pop out of my bathing suit.

I wouldn't get a brazilian , sounds very painful,( ingrown hairs! ) too much trouble, ( loofas, special creams) and well, just not nessesary. That said, if anyone wants to go through that for a man( I could care less if my husband "liked it" or not! LOL) or for their own feeling of cleanliness( although hair is not dirty if one bathes) then that is of course their choice,and I don't condem them ( actually, not true, the ones who do it just for a man I think are nutters,LOL the ones who do it for themselves are just fine)

Basically I am way too chicken to do that for anyone for any reason, I will not inflict pain on myself willingly, I mean, I am one of those people who thing the man who invented the epidural is a saint!

I will get a brazillion wax for my husband when he gets one for me!!!

I'm safe saying that since he would NEVER do such a thing. Too painful.

Also, not all men are aroused by the sight of no hair, he says it reminds him of a little girl and he is not aroused by that thought.

I get mine because I prefer it, not for anyone else.

My gyn recommended it years ago as I am very active; she said it was healthier and would go a long way towards preventing yeast infections, which have always been an issue for me since moving to FL.

My esthetician does these for the female basketball and volleyball teams at our local university and says it continues to gain popularity for those reasons.

This has been an interesting and entertaining thread. I've never considered one and more than likely never will. I don't wear bikinis and must not have as much down there as others do, nothing sticks out :p !

I'll stay on the sissy side of the fence. I got my legs waxed once and it felt like they were ripping the skin off my body. No amount of Ibuprofen could have helped. My legs ached for days. I could not imagine that happening to my netherlands.

For those of you who do it, no matter what the reason, it's a good thing for you. I can very well understand having it done for sports reasons.

I will get a brazillion wax for my husband when he gets one for me!!!

I'm safe saying that since he would NEVER do such a thing. Too painful.

Also, not all men are aroused by the sight of no hair, he says it reminds him of a little girl and he is not aroused by that thought.

Whoops....Sorry Sir!! Maybe we can stick it back on with some wax....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Whoops....Sorry Sir!! Maybe we can stick it back on with some wax....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's what merkins are for

A merkin (first use, according to the OED, 1617) is a pubic wig,

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

What exactly is a "merkin"? Ever since the word was thrust into my consciousness it's been tormenting me.

from

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_232.html

I so much do not worry about hair popping out. The scarriest thing to pop out of my bathing suit are my legs. When Training for a triathlon I use to swim in my bike shorts and tankini top. I really felt comfortable like that so now I buy swim shorts and tankini tops. They look better on me and I don't have to worry about any bikini waxes at all!

Think I'm going to stick to "Veet" in the bikini area and make sure my bathing suit covers anything that's left. I'm happy to trim, but waxing way down under.......no thank you. Hats off to anyone that can actually do that.

Ow ow ow ow at the very thought.

Kim

That's what merkins are for

A merkin (first use, according to the OED, 1617) is a pubic wig,

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

What exactly is a "merkin"? Ever since the word was thrust into my consciousness it's been tormenting me.

from

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_232.html

Thank you Dr Derf for your research!:D

I got a bikini wax today in preparation for my cruise in one week. In my opinion, there is nothing worse than getting a wax and then getting on an airplane within the next two days with a pair of jeans on. Depending on how sensitive your skin is, you want to leave at least three days between the wax and the swim suit. Personally, I am way too much of a wimp for a Brazilian. The thought of hot wax in my butt crack makes me shudder. I'm not wearing a thong, so I just want to make sure I am groomed for a regular -- modest -- swim suit. If you have never had a bikini wax, I suggest you start with the bikini and then see if you want the Brazilian. Also, trimming down the remaining hair keeps things neat too.

I can't believe I am leaving this post, but here goes.

Archived