Please Fix The Boards!!!!!!!!!!!!

richsea

Probably because message boards are my day job, on a different website, I feel management's pain on this one. Doing what I do for a living, I'm attuned to griping posts more than happy ones. I'm seeing lots of Please Fix the Boards types of posts lately. Trust me, management wants the boards to be fixed too.

It's a fine line with a community this big, the size of the database these boards have to be pulling from, and using what's basically a very-low-cost provider of board software. What I'm thinking is happening is the db is getting so large that it's choking on loads and giving us these wicked lags and php errors.

But what are the alternatives? Eliminate old data again and add more fire to the "12,000 posts lost in however many purges" gripes? Or upgrade to a higher-cost solution that will allow for better handling of a large database, but will frankly cost a big chunk of money that may or may not be in the budget? It's not a good position to be in. And I guarantee that management wants the boards to work correctly, even more than any of us do.

Archived