Snorkeling seniors trying once more to post

Geoshar

My first post went into cyberspace but the header posted twice for some reason.

Trying one more time.

My husband and I have been snorkeling for 40 years, but now we are in our mid 60's and our endurance and stamina are not what they used to be.

Costa is offering a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel at Sunset Beach.

We are also looking at Tabyana Beach in Routan, and Chankanab Beach in Cozumel,

Eden Rock in Georgetown Grand Cayman

We would prefer to snorkel from shore rather than go by boat to a reef.

Can you tell us if we can do that at any of these beaches and if there are equipment and lifejacket rentals, and lockers for personal possessions and camera while snorkeling at these three locations?

Thanks for any information you could offer.

(Now keeping fingers crossed this posts.... and only once.)

Hi, Eden Rock is great for snorkeling. Or at least it was a few yrs. ago. I plan on going there this year. They had lockers and rental gear a few yrs. ago, but haven't been there in a while. My cruise is March 18, 2007. If you haven't gone by then, I will let you know how it is now. Or vice-versa. Happy Crusing

Hi Smarks!

We are sailing March 18th as well, but with Costa Mediterannea.:D

We read about Eden Rock..and it sounds great! We definitely plan to do that one.

We also have decided to try

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/CozumelChankanaab.htm

and Tabyana Beach in Routan.

We would like to get new snorkels, any recommendations?

Two years ago, I got a drop of water in my snorkle and experienced what was called a "dry drowning".Fortunately George was nearby and brought me a noodle (floatie) to get back to the boat until the spasm subsided.

I have not snorked since.

I need a snorkle that will prevent water enetering and that can be purged. Are you familiar with a snorkle with 2 valves or..dry flex snorkle?

Happy cruising! :)

Snorkeling from Tabayana Beach is outstanding.

Cozumel: I strongly recommend a boat snorkel to Palancar and/or Columbia reefs. Hurricane Wilma did a lot of damage to the near shore reefs, but the deeper reefs are still in marvelous condition. Depth at Palancar is @ 20 feet, Columbia 40. Viz usually excellent.

I can also vouch for Eden Rock. Easy entry from a concrete platform w/ladder. They also have a rinse tank as well as the rental lockers.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

If you change your mind, Capt Marvin offers an excellent three stop (Coral Gardens, Barrier Reef and Stingray City) trip. He never overcrowds his boat.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

As for new snorkels I can't recommend a specific brand, but I do suggest you purchase one with a double valve. Go to a local scuba shop and talk with the clerks.

Thank you so much for response and advice.:)

We visited a Dive Shop in our town today, I and purchased a double valve dry snorkel, a backpack to hold snorkel gear, anti-fog drops for my mask, an underwater camera.:D ..and an inflatable snorkel vest (to wear until I get my confidence back.)

The girl that helped me with m selections had just returned from a diving to Routan with her young daughter last week.

They snorkeled at Tabyana Beach and she couldn't say enough about it.

She also vouched for Eden Rock.

Soooo...that old lady practicing in the ship's pool with her new snorkel will be me.:o

Archived