Traveling With Mom

Carquay

So, the BF and I are taking my 80-year old mom on her long dreamed-of cruise to AK. I know, I know, he's a saint. So, Mom needs some help and we have to share a cabin. Have any of you done this? What's our best shot at getting a little time by ourselves, or should we just contain ourselves for a week?

She'll be partially in a wheelchair. She's a wonderful woman, and I have no intention of abandoning her (!), but are there things she might be able to do on her own occassionally?:o

carquay

Of course we'll behave!:( She's the main reason we are doing this cruise. We usually do land-locked trips to Europe. I plan to play it by ear and see what she might be comfortable doing on her own, but if she wants to spend the whole time with us, that's okay too.

Oh, behave! But, if she wants to hang out by the pool or in the lounge and look at the countryside and you want to go "get a snack" and be right back, mom will never know. Or will she? ;)

Prior to my Mother's passing this NYRS eve, I used to cruise with her as often as possible. With all the difficulties she had been through, nothing put that amazing smile on her face as when we were boarding a cruise ship. It was as if for that period of time she was without worries. Prior to her passing we had sailed 6 cruises and spend a month in Disney World, this was all in the year 2003. Her wish was to be a kid again so we did all the things that made her feel good.

My Mother was confined to a wheelchair and needed assistance with everything. It was as if she were my child but I can honestly say, I would not hesitate to do it all again. Yes I had to forgo activities I would have liked to do but I found a new appreciation of many things, most importantly, the valuable one on one time spent with her.

I miss her terribly and cruising since her passing definitely is not the same.

Appreciate the time you'll spend with her.

What cruiseline are you on? If it's Celebrity, you and BF can sign up for a Couple's Rasul treatment. Tucked away in a private steam room with mud and body lotion. . .you can connect the dots.

Also, make sure you get a Handicapped room. . .they are 50% wider and will make it much easier for your mom to move around; plus it will give the 3 of you more room to breathe.

Did this a few years ago with my mother on Crystal (No, not my mother on crystal, but the cruise line! Mom's only playing with two suits of the deck as it is, without adding THAT to the mix:D ) We BOTH left our partners behind- her husband wouldn't sail on Crystal- too formal, and my partner was busy with work.

While she didn't have mobility problems, I still felt some responsibility- well, a lot, because SHE was paying. But we quickly fell into a routine, both with down time in the cabin for each of us, and shared time out and about. One of the best things was that I got up early to exercise, and then met her at the cabin to go over the daily schedule. We'd pick things that we wanted to do together, and then coordinate those things she wanted to do that I didn't. It was sort of "I'll drop you off at 'Arts and crafts' or a lecture, and then I'm going to watch the movie. I'll see you back here at 2:30, and then we'll go to...together" Often, she would have a book with her, and just remain in the lecture space, happily reading until I got back. That "movie" time might be the opportunity for the two of you to have some time together, even if just to give your partner a little space by walking the decks or having a cocktail with others on the ship. After dinner, she gambled, and I went out with friends until whenever. Didn't phase her that I'd come in at 2:00- but then again, she sleeps soundly.

Good for you guys! I'll always treasure that mom and I cruised together again after so many years.

I knew that bringing up Mom on a gay board would get us all maudlin and teary-eyed! Fortunately, she's not completely wheelchair bound, so we did not need a handicapped room. We've sent her a formal red gown (her favorite color) to get altered before we go and had some red satin shoes ordered from Nordstrom for her petite feet. She is really excited, and her pre-cruise chatter has already made it worth every penny.

Archived