Which ship and itinerary for 4 year old?

mncruiser64

I know many would say we should wait until our son is older (he is currently 3 1/2) however we have been dying to go on an Alaskan cruise since before he was born.

In fact - I had a deposit on one and the day before I had to confirm we found out I was pregnant and would have been 8.5 months along at the time of our cruise so we had to cancel!

Anyway - we've decided we do not want to wait any longer and am wondering which cruiseline and which itinerary would be best considering he will be with us. He is very easygoing and easy to bring just about anywhere. We were just on a short Carnival cruise and he loved the kids club there (although we were not overly impressed with Carnival itself so might like to try another line next time).

Any advice would be most appreciated?

Frankly, plan your trip for your interests. Your son will have a great time on any line. They all offer kids programs. Some points to consider- no flames please- but everyone thinks their child is "easy going" and no problem- just anticipate, your perceptions may not always accurate. :) Be willing to leave the dining room/show room etc if your child become disruptive. Freestyle may work well since it offer more dining freedom and much easier to get a single table.

Plan your port time carefully. Perhaps avoid extensive tours with no "way out". Costs are way up there in Alaska, so do your homework. Don't expect many offers with kid's rates.

Carnival does an excellent job in Alaska, but most of their sailings are one way trips- not sure what you are looking for?? And Carnival in Alaska is in NO WAY comparable to sailing the Caribbean, still expect the majority of passengers to be middle aged and above, like on other lines sailing there. No party ships yet. :)

A balcony may offer you the best option for glacier viewing, expecially if sailing Glacier Bay- be certain to get a port side cabin.

Archived