Birthday on board

Surfgirl

I just realized that the person I'm traveling with has a birthday on the last day of our cruise. What kind of celebration can I arrange with NCL? It's just the two of us, but I'd like to do something special.. maybe at dinner the night before.

Suggestions? (We'll be on the Spirit).

I just realized that the person I'm traveling with has a birthday on the last day of our cruise. What kind of celebration can I arrange with NCL? It's just the two of us, but I'd like to do something special.. maybe at dinner the night before.

Sorry for the double post.

I'm having a lot of problems with the Cruise Critic board. It's really slow, and sometimes I can't even open topics.. plus I get a lot of "timed out" error messages here... and I'm on DSL!

Guest BeckyThane

I pre-purchased the birthday package for my DH on our last cruise on the Dawn. I requested the room to be decorated before our arrival, and was he surprised! The first two pics in my Webshots album are of the decorations and cake: http://travel.webshots.com/album/557038043rbkOic. The cake is BIG (and good!), so you may want to get this before your last day. We also received a card to hand in at dinner that night, and he received a small cake and the waiters sang to him. You can pre-purchase the birthday package at the NCL web site.

Enjoy!

I pre-purchased the birthday package for my DH on our last cruise on the Dawn. I requested the room to be decorated before our arrival, and was he surprised! The first two pics in my Webshots album are of the decorations and cake: http://travel.webshots.com/album/557038043rbkOic. The cake is BIG (and good!), so you may want to get this before your last day. We also received a card to hand in at dinner that night, and he received a small cake and the waiters sang to him. You can pre-purchase the birthday package at the NCL web site.

Enjoy!

I loved your pictures.. thanks for sharing! I had no idea they had a birthday package. Hmmm... gotta figure out a "plan b" about the cake. She is gluten intolerant.. so no cake. Wish I could find a gluten free birthday cake somewhere.

Sorry for the double post.

I'm having a lot of problems with the Cruise Critic board. It's really slow, and sometimes I can't even open topics.. plus I get a lot of "timed out" error messages here... and I'm on DSL!

The boards are a pain lately.....slow, fatal errors, white screens and duplicate posts.:mad:

We were just on the Pearl. I ordered the Anniversary/Romance package for $79. That paid for dinner for 2 at LeBistro, wine at embarkation and dinner, photograph of your choice, a cake, and a reception (which we didn't attend). Our new found friends realized it was Richard's birthday, and asked the waiter for a cake. They brought it to the table, singing happy birthday. All in all, he received 4 cakes throughout the cruise! I honestly only arranged for one.

The $79 package is a great deal!

You can also contact NCL directly and request a birthday cake be delivered either to the stateroom or to the dining room table the night of your choosing....if you order it for your table, the waitstaff will sing happy birthday, as well....This is complimentary.

Surfgirl: When I was on the Dawn, it was my birthday and I received a certificate from the cruiselineto bring to dinner with me for a birthday cake (you just hand it in when entering the dining room.

Also, I believe there are birthday packages that can be ordered on the NCL website.

Have a great cruise!

I brought my own decorations. A tissue paper balloon banner and a pop-out cake topper. I told my fiance I forgot something back in the room and had to go back for it. Told him I'd meet him down in the Blue Lagoon. So, I ran back to the room and put up the banner and taped the pop-out to the cabin door. (remember to bring tape; it comes in handy for many things) He was totally surprised and I didn't have to pay extra for the decorations NCL provides.

If you can't eat the cake, perhaps they would make up a bowl of berries or some other fruit for her celebration? They had wonderful berries (blackberries, blueberries and raspberries on the Pearl last week).

Well, the problem is the cake. She's gluten intolerant. So I wonder if they can do something with icecream and a couple of candles?

Well we are celebrating my Mother's 85th birthday while on board the Sun to Alaska Aug 19 and she has celiac (wheatfree and gluten free). Because she can't have the cake or icecream, we thought they could put a candle in a bowl of jello (which she loves) and the sorbet (dairy free).

My little cousin (3 at the time) had her birthday party in one of the dining rooms. There were like 30 of us and we had our own special section of the dining room and there were decorations on the table and the waitstaff sang happy birthday. I am pretty sure the my grandparents bought the birthday package. The cake was really huge, like it could seriously have fed like 100 people. It was by far the best chocolate cake I have ever had. I am not sure how much it was but my little cousin sure had the time of her life.

The problem with special event party orders is the the on board people don't read the orders and you will get them on the wrong day and have surprises ruined.

On four of our five NCL cruises we have ordered party set-ups and each time the ships have screwed them up.

In 2005, we were going to surprise my daughter with a surprise on her actual birthday which was the fourth day of the cruise. (everyone was going to go in the room and yell surprise when she came back with her mom). Well, we walked in the cabin after dinner the first night (she was with us), and there were the decorations, snacks, and cake. So much for the surprise since she was the first one in the room...... Called the desk to complain and they saw nothing wrong with what they did. We told them to look at the date on the order form and they said, "oh well, it was brought early." We had to go through four people before someone would come down, take it all away and bring fresh stuff back on Thursday.

On the cruise last summer on the Dawn, the week hit several major events in our party: two anniversaries, my mom's birthday and another friend's birthday. Our TA had made the arrangements. (and was actually paying for my parents anniversary set-up) These four parties were all scheduled for four different days. (none the first day.) Again, we came back from dinner the first night to find all four parties set up in three rooms. (two party set-ups in ONE ROOM!!) Now all the surprises were ruined. When we called the front desk they asked: "is there a problem with all of them on one day?" Well, let's see, four cakes, four bottles of champagne, fours sets of hors'dvoures' (after dinner at Cagney's).....I think that is a problem....... Again, we had to argue with several people before a very helpful Officer came to the cabins. He had the orders pulled and looked on them and immediately became quite upset and called the desk and ordered them to send people up to clean up the rooms and take the stuff back....the order forms had specific dates on them and the dates were even HIGHLIGHTED. The desk even argued with him before he had to take a "commanding" tone with them. (I heard him say: "you should know better than to send two cakes to one cabin on the same day!!) He kept apologizing and said he would correct the problem.....(in fact, he doubled the hor's dvoures ordered for each day at no cost and guaranteed that new cakes would be made for each party.)

The problem with the cruiseline's birthday packages is that the main cost goes to a huge cake.. which she can't have. It's really kind of cruel to have a birthday cake come out in front of someone who loves cake but can't eat it for health reasons. The line really needs to realize that more than 1 out of 280 people in the U.S. has been diagnosed with celiac and can't eat wheat gluten.

I wrote to NCL and asked if there was something else they could substitute and all they wrote back was, "We dont have gluten free cake on board." I realize they do their best to accomodate people, and can't meet every single dietary need, but celiac is a relatively common problem. I would think they would have a back-up such as a special decorated icecream bowl.

I'll just do it all myself. Not sure how.. but I'll figure out something.

The problem with the cruiseline's birthday packages is that the main cost goes to a huge cake.. which she can't have. It's really kind of cruel to have a birthday cake come out in front of someone who loves cake but can't eat it for health reasons. The line really needs to realize that more than 1 out of 280 people in the U.S. has been diagnosed with celiac and can't eat wheat gluten.

I wrote to NCL and asked if there was something else they could substitute and all they wrote back was, "We dont have gluten free cake on board." I realize they do their best to accomodate people, and can't meet every single dietary need, but celiac is a relatively common problem. I would think they would have a back-up such as a special decorated icecream bowl.

I'll just do it all myself. Not sure how.. but I'll figure out something.

Over the years, we have purchased the Birthday/special occasion packages and have never been disappointed. I have always ordered it for the day that we board the ship, regardless of what day the actual event is. That way, it was a pleasant surprise when the cabin door was opened - and they leave the decorations up all week (although they DO vacuum the confetti off the floor after the first day).

Your right about the cake - it really isn't nice to put it in front of someone who can't have it. BUT, I'm sure that your freind has been put in situations at parties and restraunts where food was put in front of her that she can't have. I'm sure that she is used to this and knows how to handle the situation. What we have always done with the cake, because it IS a big cake, is we wait until later in the week after we have met people, and bring it up to the pool deck and share it with everyone - they all think you are great - they help celebrate the birthday - and you don't have to worry about cut cake in the room tempting you!

In addition to the cake that comes with the package - you also get the card to take to the dining room for a cake on your actual birthday. I'm sure that if you talk to the Matre'D, they can arrange to bring out a dessert that your friend likes and can eat - still get the singing waiters and everything.

I've cruised on NCL enough to know that if there is something special that you want on your cruise - it does ABSOLUTELY no good to talk to the people in Miami before you cruise!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait until you get on the ship and talk to the people there - they can do more for you, and usually will!!!

I'm sure that whatever you do - this year your friend's birthday will be the best she has ever had!

Have fun!

Archived