Use of Acronyms for First Timers

Swedish Chef

Golfnkitties-yes they were wonderful. I am a waffle purist and don't go for the exotic toppings, just butter and now, in my declining years, sugar-free syrup. But there is also bacon, sausage, Canadian bacon, pancakes and various fresh fruits and pastries. I got bacon with my waffles--no need for pastries. You can eat them inside or outside on the aft deck under an umbrella table.

For those of you who missed the original waffle thread started by Texed, "No waffles, do I deserve compensation?", click on my name or Swedish Chef, Rehabber, golfnkitties, or any of us who've owned up to posting there and click on "Show all threads by...". Scroll down to about mid/late-Nov. and you'll see it. Go to page 1 and enjoy the puns, poems, songs, slogans, logos, T-shirt designs, recipes, a pic of waffles being made and the rest of the hilarity. I still don't know why it was closed, but I go back every now and then to get a good laugh.

Golfnk-I will have to live vicariously through your report in Apr. :D

A few more, off the top of my head....

GTS = Gas Turbine Ship (as in GTS Millennium, GTS Infinity, GTS Constellation, and GTS Summit)

MV = Motor Vessel (as in MV Zenith, MV Century, MV Galaxy, MV Mercury, MV Celebrity Journey, and MV Celebrity Quest)

MY = Motor Yacht (as in MY Celebrity Xpedition)

DD = Dear Daughter (often followed by a sequential number if one has more than one son; i. e. DD2 = Dear Daughter #2)

DS = Dear Son (often followed by a sequential number if one has more than one son; i. e. DS3 = Dear Son #3)

VBG = Very Big Grin

GE2E = Grinning Ear to Ear

LOL = Laughing Out Loud

ROFLOL = Rolling on Floor Laughing Out Loud

(You) = Giving Hug to "You"

(((You))) = Giving Big Hug to "You"

((((((((You)))))))) = Giving Huge Bear Hug to "You"

IMO = In My Opinion

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble Opinion

JM$.02 = Just My Two Cents

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

FWIW = For What It's Worth

FYI = For Your Information

BRB = Be Right Back

C U = See You

L8R = Later

And asterisks bracketing an action indicate that the poster is doing the action therein. Thus "*grin*" indicates that the poster is grinning and "*LOL*" indicates that the poster is laughing out loud.

Norm.

• 3 months later...

CC

Celebrity Cruises

Captains Club

Concierge Class

Copy

I can't put on here what my wife calls me, it would be a definite violation.....

There is a fifth CC - Cruise Critic

It gets really confusing with the CC's especially on this board.

OP - original poster - ding ding ding, you are correct!

ROTFLMAO - Another version of: rolling on the floor laughing my *** off

Sometimes the "D" in DH isn't dear! Usually it is, but sometimes it isn't...

Shay

Sometimes the D in DH isn't for Dear AND somretimes the H in DH isn't for Husband it's for something else.

There is a fifth CC - Cruise Critic

It gets really confusing with the CC's especially on this board.

Also CC is used for Credit Card. So now CC could stand for Cruise Critic, Concierge Class, Celebrity Cruises, Captains Club, Copy and Credit Card

Marilyn

Sometimes the D in DH isn't for Dear AND somretimes the H in DH isn't for Husband it's for something else.

Yo, Jennifah! And then there are those who choose to express their acronyms with a remote control or even better through interpretative dance, as in: lmaosmiley.gif

-K. thinks.gif tgif.gif

Yo, Jennifah! And then there are those who choose to express their acronyms with a remote control or even better through interpretative dance, as in: lmaosmiley.gif

-K. thinks.gif tgif.gif

Hi Kevin, I miss ya'll. Come to Flahridda Dahling!!!

Hi Kevin, I miss ya'll. Come to Flahridda Dahling!!!

Yeah, we'll come to Florida right after my remedial English class in which I fully intend to I learn the correct spelling of "interpretive". duh.gif (Aw, proofread shmoofread.......Laugh.gif)

Hey, say howdy to Jeff for us.........

-K. Kiss.gif

All in good fun--and very funny and useful--except that IMHO, DH and all are not acronyms. They are abbreviations.

An acronym is a word that is made up of initials--like RADAR (radio detection and ranging) or Scuba (self-contained underwater breathing apparatus), or possibly NASCAR (National Association Stock Car Auto Racing).

DH (for example) is not a word. You can't say, "DH likes early seating." How do you pronounce, "DH." Duh? OK, maybe some hubbies are "Duhs," or in Homer Simpson's case, "Doh!" But ya can't (shouldn't) use them as words. Cause they're not.

Tomorrow's lesson: the use of "your, you're, they're, their, there." :)

The only things that rival Waffles on Celebrity are Puffy German Pancakes. If you've never had them, too bad. If you have had them, then you know what I mean. You can't get them onboard ship because it takes too long to cook them and they have to be cooked to order. Bring on the fresh lemons, powdered sugar and butter. MMM!

Bob

Oh no- you had to mention German pancakes! Now I want to go out for brunch tomorrow. Only I would order a Dutch baby (smaller version of the German Pancake). The German pancake at the restaurant we go to is about 14 inches across - enough for 3 breakfasts.

You know what I mean! You're trying to tell me it's possible to have too much of a good thing. During the past 30 years, I have become an expert at preparing the Puffy German Pancake, and you can make them just as big or small as you like. The key, of course, is the proper amount of batter (adjust accordingly) and the correct sized cast-iron skillet. MMM!

Bob

Archived