Large, Big, Fluffy, Jumbo, Portly, Big Boned, Fat, Plus Sized Cruizers..

indie

I need your help. Im not talking to the people who are just concerned about wearing their new bikini because of their little pot belly, but to those who really have to "size up" chairs before they sit down.

I have booked my 1st ever cruise on the Inspiration in April. My wife and I are both first time cruisers. We got married 3 years ago, we were both pretty much broke after paying for our wedding, and I immediately started law school the monday after our marriage, so we never have had a real vacation/honeymoon together. But we have been talking about cruising since our 2nd date lol.

I have since graduated, and we can finally take the time for our cruise so I am very happy to finally have booked it! My best man from our wedding is getting married the weekend before our cruise in Tampa, where our cruise will be departing from and I am the best man in his wedding! So this will be a very special week for us.

So, here is the deal.

I am about 6'6", 370-400 pounds. Huge guy. Imagine a large NFL Offensive Lineman type size.

My main concern now, after having gotten everything else planned, is being able to fully enjoy the cruise. The only other vacation my wife and i have taken together was a trip to universal studio's, and i was too large and too tall for many of the rides.

I want to be able to sit on the deck and enjoy the breeze and drinks and views with my wife, but PLASTIC CHAIRS are not my friends.

They disintegrate as soon as my rear end touches them. I do not want to have to run a tab on my sign and sail card for destroyed deck chairs and loungers.

I would love to be able to just carelessly sit down on any chair i choose, but i cant.

my wife and I are seriously considering bringing portable folding chairs. I have searched these forums, and there doesnt seem to be any discussions on bringing chairs for "weight" concerns.

I am concerned that if i do not bring a chair, I will have to stand constantly when out on the decks, or spend alot of time indoors at areas that can accomodate me. I dont care about being tacky half as much and enjoying my first cruise.

Another reason i was thinking of bringing chairs from home is i will be renting a car in cozumel, and would love to be able to stop at an open strip of beach and just sit out and enjoy the view. Rental beach chairs would also not likely hold me.

Thanks for any advice

Hi Indie

I have heard of people bringing there own chairs aboard so I would look into doing that.

If you have more questions then you can write Carnival about that situation and ask them about bringing your own chair.

Well good Luck and I hope you and your Wife have a Great time.

My brother in law is also a big guy. 6ft 5 and about 380#. We went on the Conquest. They had industrial quality chairs on the pool deck. No arms on some of them. He did not have a problem at all. Now, the plane ride was a problem!!! I sat by him, I was a little squashed. I did not mind.

He even went snorkling and rode a bus. No problem.

Hmmmmm...Well, I've seen people bigger (or at least heavier; you're dang tall!) than you sitting on the deck loungers. They didn't collapse. I don't know what they're made out of, but they're pretty sturdy. I am a wide-bottomed gal, myself (I curse my mother, whose shape I have. :p), and I sometimes find the plastic Adirondack-style chairs a little "tight" (Along with coach-class airplane seats), but I've always been comfortable in the chairs on a cruise ship. I can't imagine any portable folding chair being sturdier than what they have on the ship... Like I said, I've seen very big people on cruise ships, and I've yet to see a chair of any type collapse. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Bear in mind that there are many excursions that have weight limits, though...

My brother in law is also a big guy. 6ft 5 and about 380#. We went on the Conquest. They had industrial quality chairs on the pool deck. No arms on some of them. He did not have a problem at all. Now, the plane ride was a problem!!! I sat by him, I was a little squashed. I did not mind.

He even went snorkling and rode a bus. No problem.

thats very reassuring!, hopefully i can occassionally get one of the BIG man chairs. If i do bring chairs, i will only probably break them out onboard after "testing" the deck chairs provided. I definitely will not even bother with the standard plastic chairs. I know those will completely obliterate. I remember my grandmother was going to buy some of those little white plastic chairs when I was a kid. I've been large for a LONG time. She made me sit in one in the middle of a crowded store and BLAMMM!.. EXPLOSION! lol

Thats when i first became conscious of the woes of a big man. :D

Indie,

First, I'd say call Carnival and express your concerns. I'm sure they will let you take a folding chair on as luggage. Why not? People take all sorts of things on.

Second, you are going to have a blast! You and your wife deserve this vacation. Call Carnival and ask the question so that you can start planning the fun part of the vacation.

Have fun! ;)

Can you ask for a handicapped room? You might need the extra room in the bathroom? The bathrooms are small for even small folks.

The dining room furniture is very study, not sure about the loungers, they seem like study plastic.

I would sure hate to have to carry a chair with me into ports? There are cement places to sit in cozumel or by that statue in between where the two ports are. Bring a towel to sit on.

There are plastic chairs and tables around the loungers at the pool and lots of folks who are very over weight in the pools and hot tubs. So you shouldnt feel out of place.

Iv lost quite a bit of weight, my blood sugar went out of control, so I know what you are going thru and my grandfather was about your size.

Im sure you could find fun things to do, not sure the theater seats are big enough or not? Can you get into a regular seat on a airplane without using seat belt extenders? If so then you should be able to watch the shows. Thats my favorite things. some have those little carts to ride around in and park them in the back of the balcony at the shows, so there are ways...

Hope you can find a way to cruise...best of luck. My heart is with you.

Hmmmmm...Well, I've seen people bigger (or at least heavier; you're dang tall!) than you sitting on the deck loungers. They didn't collapse. I don't know what they're made out of, but they're pretty sturdy. I am a wide-bottomed gal, myself (I curse my mother, whose shape I have. :p), and I sometimes find the plastic Adirondack-style chairs a little "tight" (Along with coach-class airplane seats), but I've always been comfortable in the chairs on a cruise ship. I can't imagine any portable folding chair being sturdier than what they have on the ship... Like I said, I've seen very big people on cruise ships, and I've yet to see a chair of any type collapse. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Bear in mind that there are many excursions that have weight limits, though...

thank you. I actually had to go "portable chair" testing too. I found a great little chair that has held up under my weight even on a sharp inclined hill.

I did read one horror story on a blog today from a lady who was devastated after her chair legs broke off during a cruise. She was really self conscious already and it seemed her weight really ruined her vacation. She talked about going back to her cabin and crying. I had to email her a letter of encouragement today after reading it.

Thats why i am now really thinking about the lounge chair/deck chair situation. Im not easilly embarrassed, so if i was to "test a chair" and have the legs fly off and into the pool, id laugh, go get my chair and another drink and come back to enjoy the rest of my day =)

But I did want to ask to see if anyone has had any experience with being larger and using the provided chairs, and also if anyone has seen people with their own chairs. I really appreciate the responses so far, and keep them comming. Im leaning toward bringing them just in case, but if it isnt needed i would rather not.

Thank you! I think i will give them a call tomorrow. I'm so excited. I cant think about anything else.

Indie,

First, I'd say call Carnival and express your concerns. I'm sure they will let you take a folding chair on as luggage. Why not? People take all sorts of things on.

Second, you are going to have a blast! You and your wife deserve this vacation. Call Carnival and ask the question so that you can start planning the fun part of the vacation.

Have fun! ;)

Can you ask for a handicapped room? You might need the extra room in the bathroom? The bathrooms are small for even small folks.

The dining room furniture is very study, not sure about the loungers, they seem like study plastic.

I would sure hate to have to carry a chair with me into ports? There are cement places to sit in cozumel or by that statue in between where the two ports are. Bring a towel to sit on.

There are plastic chairs and tables around the loungers at the pool and lots of folks who are very over weight in the pools and hot tubs. So you shouldnt feel out of place.

Iv lost quite a bit of weight, my blood sugar went out of control, so I know what you are going thru and my grandfather was about your size.

Im sure you could find fun things to do, not sure the theater seats are big enough or not? Can you get into a regular seat on a airplane without using seat belt extenders? If so then you should be able to watch the shows. Thats my favorite things. some have those little carts to ride around in and park them in the back of the balcony at the shows, so there are ways...

Hope you can find a way to cruise...best of luck. My heart is with you.

Hey Firefly, thanks for the suggestion. I booked an IS guarantee, so i dont have a room assignment. I booked through a TA and not direct with carnival because carninval couldnt match the price. I have heard that the bathrooms are small, but i would really feel guilty taking a handicapped room especially if there was someone else out there with limited mobility who really needs it. I am not the widest guy, but i am big, tall and weigh alot. I fit OK in most armed chairs, my only problem is usually being cramped due to my height when there isnt much legroom.

I was going to carry chairs to Cozumel since i was renting a car at the port. I would be driving around all day and could throw the chairs in the backseat or the trunk, and pull them out when we park at a beach. =) I was going to leave them behind in Grand Cayman, since we wont be there long, and will be likely using public transportation.

I have never flown! lol, my wife wont fly, my grandmother who raised me didnt fly. So i never got the opportunity to fly anywhere.

I usually can fit in theatre seats, with my only concern being the legroom.

If you have a TA he or she will do this for you, if not do it yourself. (Find a good TA and stick with him/her they will always look out for you) Do not hesitate - call customer service, they are there to help you and they will! Explain your problem and they will be happy to help you. They will advise you which areas have chairs that will not be a problem for you. My DH is not as tall as you but he weighs a little over 325. This is going to be our first CCL cruise but on our other cruises we have never had a problem. He does not sit in the pool lounge chairs, but only because he is not a pool/sun person. When he sits on deck he sits in the shade in the breeze and reads or has lunch or an iced tea. No problems anywhere else. Don't bring a chair. RELAX, ENJOY AND HAVE A GREAT TIME - YOU BOTH DESERVE IT!!!

CostCo has some Very sturdy and wide folding chairs that are QUITE comfortable..and they are only like 15 bucks..I am a tall and rather large woman and they have served me VERY well...Bring your own that way you dont have to worry about Chair hogs..:D..I know when we crusied RC they brought us big butts chairs with no arms in the dining room..All we had to do was ask..:p

We went on the Legend with a portly man last year. He thoroughly enjoyed sitting on Deck 9 and had no problems. If we couldn't find him, he was at the table by the window in what became "his chair" He was quite comfy in the chairs at the slot machines (looking back, he may have been too comfy lol). Dining room no prob as we thought ahead and asked for an armless chair. He was ok in the theater and came to bingo a few times.

Are you suggesting folks bigger then the BMI index..? :D

On a cruise... there are very few folks that have a body to brag about.

Hardly a skinny-minny around that you want to stare at... most of the folks that can afford a cruise are older in age, and no longer have a body of a 20 year old.

My wife is quick to point them out... bot most could be my child... :p

Enjoy your cruise.

BTW... my BIL is 370 pounds.

I need your help. Im not talking to the people who are just concerned about wearing their new bikini because of their little pot belly, but to those who really have to "size up" chairs before they sit down.

I have booked my 1st ever cruise on the Inspiration in April. My wife and I are both first time cruisers. We got married 3 years ago, we were both pretty much broke after paying for our wedding, and I immediately started law school the monday after our marriage, so we never have had a real vacation/honeymoon together. But we have been talking about cruising since our 2nd date lol.

I have since graduated, and we can finally take the time for our cruise so I am very happy to finally have booked it! My best man from our wedding is getting married the weekend before our cruise in Tampa, where our cruise will be departing from and I am the best man in his wedding! So this will be a very special week for us.

So, here is the deal.

I am about 6'6", 370-400 pounds. Huge guy. Imagine a large NFL Offensive Lineman type size.

My main concern now, after having gotten everything else planned, is being able to fully enjoy the cruise. The only other vacation my wife and i have taken together was a trip to universal studio's, and i was too large and too tall for many of the rides.

I want to be able to sit on the deck and enjoy the breeze and drinks and views with my wife, but PLASTIC CHAIRS are not my friends.

They disintegrate as soon as my rear end touches them. I do not want to have to run a tab on my sign and sail card for destroyed deck chairs and loungers.

I would love to be able to just carelessly sit down on any chair i choose, but i cant.

my wife and I are seriously considering bringing portable folding chairs. I have searched these forums, and there doesnt seem to be any discussions on bringing chairs for "weight" concerns.

I am concerned that if i do not bring a chair, I will have to stand constantly when out on the decks, or spend alot of time indoors at areas that can accomodate me. I dont care about being tacky half as much and enjoying my first cruise.

Another reason i was thinking of bringing chairs from home is i will be renting a car in cozumel, and would love to be able to stop at an open strip of beach and just sit out and enjoy the view. Rental beach chairs would also not likely hold me.

Thanks for any advice

you will not have any problems with any of the chairs supporting you, they held me just fine....and i keep coming back for more.....and i fall within the NFL Lineman standards! LOL

those plastic chairs are very durable!

Hi Indie,

My husband is a big man, and I use to be a big gal (368 lbs at one time). We cruise alot, and never have had an issue...EXCEPT when we are placed at a booth in the dining room. I'm not sure what seating configuration the ship you will be on has, but if you have assigned seating, but ask the Matre'D for table seating as soon as you enter the dining room...first night. People get attached to "their space" and are more reluctant to trade with you after a meal or two in "their spot".

Otherwise, some theater seating is not great, but do-able.

Happy sailing!

Nan

I am 350 5'9" range and haven't had a chair collapse. I have had some shakey chairs, and once discovering them DON'T sit in them. I think the plastic chairs on board are more like the industrial strength type. In Cozumel there are enough beach clubs, but if you want then buy a beach chair.

Enjoy your cruise!

FF

I would bring your chairs. I don't know if Carnivals chairs will hold you or not. But no one else does either. So why chance it..Just have them and then you can start think about something else you should bring...night light,clock, hanging shoe bag, bungee cords, ( if you get up graded to a balcony)all the other more important things!!

Have a great cruise!!

Carla

My dad is also a big man (6'7" 320#). He doesnt really look "huge" but he is just a BIG man. So he had no problems at all with the chairs but he did have problems with the shower. lol, he couldnt even turn around poor thing...he actually had to get out of the shower to wash his legs and then get back in because it was too small for him to bend over in. If you can get a handicapped room I would( just make sure to tell them you would be ok to move if someone else needed it). Hope everything works out. Have a awesome cruise. You deserve it!

I am a BBW...the only chairs that scared me when I cruised last September were the loungers around the pool. I used them...they didn't break but they dipped down in the middle. Made it a little hard to get out of them. Other than that I didn't have any problems. I don't know if every ship's theater is this way, but the two ships I've been on have comfortable bench seating on the bottom level. The dining rooms chairs were very sturdy and comfortable. The table and chairs on the lido deck (the metal chairs) were a little tight but sturdy. I've seriously thought about suggesting to Carnival that they purchase a sturdier lounge chair for us larger people. Make it where you could check it out like you do a towel. I would have loved to lay in the sun more but the lounge chairs made me uncomfortable. Enjoy your cruise and come back and tell us all about it!!!

Is about 6', 350 and has no problems. The chairs that we sat in on deck (10, aft, above aft pool) were a mesh/plastic woven material, hung on a sturdy plastic frame. He had no problems whatsoever.

I think it's great the two of you are finally getting away and taking your dream vacation, and hope you have a FABULOUS time. ;)

Hello Indie... about your dilemma, I'd be more concerned about the airplane than the cruise. If you are flying coach, then maybe you could call the airline and ask for "bulk head" seating, as you would have way more legroom. My husband has really bad knees, and on our last flight (for our cruise) I requested the bulk head seating and we got it. Made for a more comfortable flight. Make sure you tell them how tall you are too!! Enjoy your well deserved vacation. You're gonna get hooked on cruising, mark my words... we all have!! hahaha

Archived