Large, Big, Fluffy, Jumbo, Portly, Big Boned, Fat, Plus Sized Cruizers..

indie

Thank all of you guys so much for the helpfull input! I still will call Carnival today to see what they recommend, but i feel alot more comfortable after hearing some views on whether or not to bring the chairs.

Some of you have built my confidence a bit in the chairs provided by Carnival, but I think i will probably bring the chairs just in case, and only bring them out onboard if necessary. I think i'd rather bring a chair on, have it and not need to bring it out of the cabin, than to not be unable to sit and enjoy the deck at all when i could have just brought a collabsible chair.

We are driving down to Tampa and parking at the port, so I will have my own transportation and will not have to worry about flight packing. This is why i dont think bringing a chair would be too much of an inconvenience on my end. I just dont want to be an inconvenience to carnival staff or other passengers.

You guys are great! I'm not a hard guy to please so I'm sure I am going to enjoy the heck outta my cruise, and even moreso thanks to all of the information you guys continuously provide!

People board thier ships everyday with coolers, golf clubs, scuba gear ect. So I would think that a colapsable chair would not be a problem. :D

lol... I dont mind being tacky at all if it means convenience and comfort!

If somebody has a problem with it, they'll get over it. :D

At least I wont see a topic on this forum about the Notorious Inspiration 4/23 CHAIR DESTROYER if i bring my own. LOL

I am a BBW...the only chairs that scared me when I cruised last September were the loungers around the pool. I used them...they didn't break but they dipped down in the middle. Made it a little hard to get out of them. Other than that I didn't have any problems. I don't know if every ship's theater is this way, but the two ships I've been on have comfortable bench seating on the bottom level. The dining rooms chairs were very sturdy and comfortable. The table and chairs on the lido deck (the metal chairs) were a little tight but sturdy. I've seriously thought about suggesting to Carnival that they purchase a sturdier lounge chair for us larger people. Make it where you could check it out like you do a towel. I would have loved to lay in the sun more but the lounge chairs made me uncomfortable. Enjoy your cruise and come back and tell us all about it!!!

i think we should possibly start contacting carnival about accomidate larger cruisers. I'm sure i will be back for more after my first dose of cruising. Especially if i can be assured i wont smash their chairs!

My husband is a big guy too (6'3" and 320)..he had no problems with any of the deck chairs or the dining room. In the theater we sat in the booth type seats, but he also sat in the regular seats a few times.

As for the bathrooms, they are bigger than what we are used to on RCI, so he was happy! The shower was fine...it's not huge, but he was happy with it (and the toilet...the toilets on most RCI ships face sit caddy corner!)

You shouldn't have any issues....

Have fun on your cruise, I am jealous! I have to wait til December!:cool:

We've been on more cruises than most and we've seen people of every shape and size enjoying their cruise. Most ships have all kinds of seating in different areas. So the theater may have movie-theater seats, or lounge chairs, or couches, or even bar stools! You'll want to check out the venue BEFORE if you can and scope out what works for you.

You don't have to be big to do this--I've got a fragile back so I have to pick where I sit carefully even though I am 5'10" and 215. Shape, not size is the issue for me. We fly 1st class or business because the expense is worth it to us--even my VERY petite wife is MUCH happier in 1st.

I think being big is harder on women than men, Indie. As you said, if a chair collapses under you, you can laugh it off whereas a lady will be devastated. It's not fair, but it is, unfortunately, the way of the world.

I don't know where that poster got the idea that there aren't lots of buff young people on cruise ships--most ships are full of them, unless they specifically cater to a different crowd--like Cunard or Saga.

Last time we were on the late Norway it had over 600 Spring Breakers!

Anyway, Indie, I hope you and your wife have a GREAT time--the trick to enjoying crusing is not sweating the small stuff because there is ALWAYS small stuff.

I don't know where that poster got the idea that there aren't lots of buff young people on cruise ships--most ships are full of them, unless they specifically cater to a different crowd--like Cunard or Saga.

As far as I notcied, men and women, everyone on our cruise was "average American" build to heavier set. I don't recall seeing any man or woman with a "buff young bod". This was near the aft pool, though, I didn't even see the main pool more than once or twice.

Having been in the past few years mostly on NCL, I can tell you they were on the Jewel, the Dawn, the Dream, the Star, the Spirit, and the late Norway. That's 6 ships and 12 cruises we've been on.

On the Star and the Dawn the aft pool is FULL of VERY young bodies--but those are the kids' pools, and generally young parents.

They were not as prevalent on Cunard on the QE2 or the Caronia. (6 cruises)

I would expect to see fewer on Holland American or Saga as well.

My guy is a big guy as well 6'2 350 he only finds the problem sitting in the chairs around the pool where you sit to eat.. never tried the loungers.. they are narrow.. if you have a wide BUTT or are thick across that section you will find it snug.. but he had no probs sitting in them.. Myself as a pleasantly plump gal am wide but do not have problems with any of the chairs:D

Have a great cruise enjoy!!!

I did a BBW group cruise in 2001. no one in this group was under 250 some were over 450. TA let carnival know and asked for life vest that would fit and sitting at table with chair with no arms. we had no broken chairs and every one had a good time.

you guys have been a great great great help.

I contacted my TA today instead of carnival. I wasnt familiar with usual protocol when dealing with a TA who books for you, so i just contacted her first to ask.

She contacted Carnival and Responded:

"I contacted Carnival and they told me that it is ok for you to bring your collapsible chair. They were not able to give me a confident answer about the deck chairs. However, they are sending me a Special Request form that I will forward to you. You should complete the form and send it back to Carnival so that they can make sure they provide additional supportor a thicker mattress and any other accommodations that you would like them to make for you.

As soon as they send the form to me, I will forward it to you."

-------------------------------------

good enough for me ;)...lets cruise!

I need your help. Im not talking to the people who are just concerned about wearing their new bikini because of their little pot belly, but to those who really have to "size up" chairs before they sit down.

I have booked my 1st ever cruise on the Inspiration in April. My wife and I are both first time cruisers. We got married 3 years ago, we were both pretty much broke after paying for our wedding, and I immediately started law school the monday after our marriage, so we never have had a real vacation/honeymoon together. But we have been talking about cruising since our 2nd date lol.

I have since graduated, and we can finally take the time for our cruise so I am very happy to finally have booked it! My best man from our wedding is getting married the weekend before our cruise in Tampa, where our cruise will be departing from and I am the best man in his wedding! So this will be a very special week for us.

So, here is the deal.

I am about 6'6", 370-400 pounds. Huge guy. Imagine a large NFL Offensive Lineman type size.

My main concern now, after having gotten everything else planned, is being able to fully enjoy the cruise. The only other vacation my wife and i have taken together was a trip to universal studio's, and i was too large and too tall for many of the rides.

I want to be able to sit on the deck and enjoy the breeze and drinks and views with my wife, but PLASTIC CHAIRS are not my friends.

They disintegrate as soon as my rear end touches them. I do not want to have to run a tab on my sign and sail card for destroyed deck chairs and loungers.

I would love to be able to just carelessly sit down on any chair i choose, but i cant.

my wife and I are seriously considering bringing portable folding chairs. I have searched these forums, and there doesnt seem to be any discussions on bringing chairs for "weight" concerns.

I am concerned that if i do not bring a chair, I will have to stand constantly when out on the decks, or spend alot of time indoors at areas that can accomodate me. I dont care about being tacky half as much and enjoying my first cruise.

Another reason i was thinking of bringing chairs from home is i will be renting a car in cozumel, and would love to be able to stop at an open strip of beach and just sit out and enjoy the view. Rental beach chairs would also not likely hold me.

Thanks for any advice

First let say congratulations on making it through law school and passing the bar . . . no small feat. Second . . . I've seen people of all weight and sizes on my cruises and I have yet to see a chair or lounger that broke under the weight of someone that may weigh a tad more the others. Those chairs and loungers will, I think prove to be no problem. However . . . my advice to you would be to mention to someone (preferably an officer) of your concerns and go from there. One thing I would not do is bring a chair from home . . . even if you find the chairs and loungers uncomfortable . . . there are plenty of places to sit around the pool area if for whatever reason the chairs and loungers proved to be uncomfortable for you. Have a wonderful curise!!!!!!

At least I wont see a topic on this forum about the Notorious Inspiration 4/23 CHAIR DESTROYER if i bring my own. LOL

Indie, you're a hoot! Even if you do break a bunch of chairs, I'm sure Carnival will let you pay off your chair tab by doing some stand-up comedy on stage one night. You're certainly funnier than a lot of the comedians they hire. :)

I have heard that the bathrooms are small, but i would really feel guilty taking a handicapped room especially if there was someone else out there with limited mobility who really needs it.

Thank you for your consideration, Indie. Handicapped rooms should be held back for people who have a wheelchair or a mobility device. There are very few handicapped rooms and wheelchairs and mobility devices cant fit thru the doors of standard rooms.

Have a wonderful time.

Hey Indie,

I just returned from a cruise on the Triumph on 2/10. The shower in our stateroom was quite small, and I banged my arms into the wire shelf on occasion. We took my mother in law along, and she is wheelchair-bound. Her room, which was an interior stateroom, had a much larger shower than our stateroom. It might be worth considering if you have concerns - and maybe you could switch rooms after the ship leaves and if there are vacancies in those rooms. I would check with the Purser's office once underway.

But other than that, I wouldn't worry about deck chairs and such. Those things were made out of high strength plastic and heavy duty mesh. They build them for strength and longevity. It ain't gonna be problem for you.

Now go have fun and stop worrying about it! Trust me, this was my first cruise and I had a great time -- even with my mother-in-law in tow.... :-) Enjoy!

Indie,

If the shower in the room your are eventually assigned becomes a problem size wise I would consider using the shower facilities in the gym/exercise area. Congrats on passing the bar and I hope you and your wife have a great cruise.

Indie- Go and have a wonderful time. Our family went on Glory in December and my 6'7" son (football player also) loved it. The pool chairs were fine, we even had a booth for 4 in the dining room that was no problem. My entire family are tall so we have airplane issues. (I am a former flight attendant!!) If you have a small room (son was inside cabin) you can make use of the spa shower, my husband loves this better that our Cat.11 or 12. Just know in advance that they will try to feed you, every night our waiters were asking him, "you need another entree?, you look hungry"........... needless to say he now has the cruise fever and is booking some BIG friends for May.

ENJOY!

cynthia

8/01 Sensation

7/04 Jubilee

1/05 Legend

2/06 Legend

12/06 Glory

3/07 Liberty

Just to make you feel even more comfortable, my wife also needs a larger chair. While on the Inspiration the folks in the dining room brought here a chair with no arms the first night. After that it was there for every meal. Very impressed like that. I can confirm that the Inspiration has bench seating in the showroom too, and legroom should not be an issue.

We're taking the Inspiration again in April. Enjoy the cruise!

Thanks for this thread. My hubby is a weight lifting big man. He was angry that he exceeds the weight limit for a few excursions (he's around 280) and was worried about the size of the bathroom- his shoulder span is pretty wide so he was worried about fitting comfortably (but he's pretty to look at- LOL.)

I will recommend the spa showers for him. He should enjoy that.

I'm coming in late on this thread and am probably repeating others, but here's my 2 cents worth anyway. On my two Conquest cruises, I noticed that there were MANY people on deck chairs that would fit your description. Most of them were women, but the weight factor would be the same. Therefore, I am going to assume that the chairs are "heavy duty" and will hold your size without breaking.

Here's another idea. Are you booked in a balcony cabin? If so, maybe you can arrange with the ship to have a "plus size" lounge chair placed on your balcony. Surely they have some just for people of size. We saw people of ALL shapes and sizes on our cruises, and all were having a good time. I'm thrilled for you that you can finally take your "honeymoon" cruise. ENJOY!!!

Yes, bring your chairs! People bring rolling coolers, portable cribs, inflatable baby pools, wheelchairs, so a chair is no big deal. Especially if it makes you comfortable! Remember, you can always choose a bar stool at one of the outdoor bars! :p (MY chair of choice!)

Bon voyage! And sincerely, good luck. Glad you and your love are taking that much-deserved belated honeymoon!

I feel really good about this now :)

I am bringing my "just in case" chair. I've pretty much planned and paid for everything else i want to do before and during the cruise, so this was the last of my concerns. (Other than Guarantee room assignment, but that is out of my hands, and i like a good "Surprise")

I think it will be pretty hard for me not to have the time of my life!

Wish some of you guys were cruising with us. You guys are awesome.

We just came back from Carnival a week and a half ago. I am sure the seats will be fine. We saw women over 300 lbs or more lying on loungers . they had plenty of room. We saw a couple of men that were very tall and muscular. They seemed fine. In the theaters, they had nice lounge benches that were great. Some of the theaters are smaller. I worry more about the airlines. I try to get bulk head because I have long legs and bad knees. Very seldom get them. The way the airlines are flying, you are lucky to get a seat. Flew out of Ft Lauderdale. They left us stranded in Charlotte with no notice overnite. Not even a toothbrush. Take the cruises anyday compared to the airlines. They stink!

Archived