Dinner Attire Question

RichandBabs

Hate to correct you Frede but in the UK we do NOT wear Jackets and Ties other than at The Ritz Hotel who insist on this dress code.

At Gordon Ramsey at Claridges, Country Club Casual is the norm.

Generally at Restaurants we dine at, the ambience is smart casual.

Brian

Third Oceania cruise (I was on the Hong Kong to Bangkok with Mike), two on Nautica, one on Insignia, no jacket needed, let others do what they want. My wife always wore open toe shoes, I personally am not a sandals kind of guy for a dining room experience, but was surprised to hear of Mike's experience on Nautica, we never had any issue with dress. I think the staff should be concentrating on the cuisine (which they do so well, by the way) and forget about feet. Just dress with good taste.

• 2 weeks later...
I have yet to understand why some pax. are so upset with what other people wear. If the non-conformists bath, and some don't, wear clean clothes and act responsible, who is it to say that they are outcasts and don't belong. My wife & I pay for our cruises, and we could not care less what other pax think about what we wear. On O I do not wear a jacket, let alone a tie. I do, however, dress accordingly ( country club casual). If the PC dress police don't like my attire, then tough! I have a very short fuse when it comes to pax. telling me what I, or anyone else, should wear. If it bothers you, find another cruise line with those of your persuasion.Cunard would probably fit you better.

I'll try one more time to address this post - it seems the editors felt compelled to remove an earlier response. Let's see if I can accomodate their sense of propriety and still help Leonid figure it out.

If one (anyone) ignors the established dress code it is affront to their fellow passengers, No if, ands, or buts. Paying for the cruise does not entitle one to behave in any manner they choose. Shipboard norms are established to maximize the enjoyment of all passengers. To violate them demonstrates a lack of concern for the enjoyment of others onboard. It would be just as inconsiderate to smoke where not permitted, make loud noises late at night, unreasonably reserve chairs around the pool or in the theatre, and push in the buffet line. These social skills derive from attitudes towards our fellow man we were (supposedly) taught as early as first grade.

It's not about PC dress police. It's about consideration of others. Since the failure to comply with shipboard norms is an insult to one's fellow passengers it follows that those who voice their objection to same are simply demonstrating a healthy resentment at being insulted.

I'll try one more time to address this post - it seems the editors felt compelled to remove an earlier response. Let's see if I can accomodate their sense of propriety and still help Leonid figure it out.

If one (anyone) ignors the established dress code it is affront to their fellow passengers, No if, ands, or buts. Paying for the cruise does not entitle one to behave in any manner they choose. Shipboard norms are established to maximize the enjoyment of all passengers. To violate them demonstrates a lack of concern for the enjoyment of others onboard. It would be just as inconsiderate to smoke where not permitted, make loud noises late at night, unreasonably reserve chairs around the pool or in the theatre, and push in the buffet line. These social skills derive from attitudes towards our fellow man we were (supposedly) taught as early as first grade.

It's not about PC dress police. It's about consideration of others. Since the failure to comply with shipboard norms is an insult to one's fellow passengers it follows that those who voice their objection to same are simply demonstrating a healthy resentment at being insulted.

I am in agreement with the above post. We are a fairly casual couple who has sailed on the more mass marketed lines, and we found ourselves disgusted with passengers who arrived in the dining room (and twice in specialty restaurants) dressed as if they had just finished cleaning out their garages. Regardless of what some feel, it is rude and detracts from everyone else's experience when people are self-centered enough that they think the rules are never meant for them.

We are sailing Oceania, in great part because of the dress code. We're not fans of formal wear, but do believe the standards set will be more conducive to a positive experience for us.

Going on first O cruise in June and wondered if jeans are allowed in the diningrooms? Do people wear them around the ship?

No jeans in the dining rooms. And people don't wear them at all if in a southern clime, such as the Caribbean, but if you are going somewhere cooler then yes, they would be fine before 6:00pm.

We just got off the NCL cruise to W. Carribbean and jeans were everywhere including the diningrooms. Are O ships usually cold?

On the NCL cruises anything seems to go! :eek:

Not in the same league as Oceania.

We only saw a few people in the daytime when we left LA in Jeans.

What Lyn said. If your location and ports of call were cold at the time of year you were visiting, it would seem feasible you might have a pair or two to wear out touring. But I don't recall seeing anyone wear jeans on the ship.

PS: Things like the "anything goes" mentality is why the only time I will ever be seen on an NCL ship is if it is pulling me out of the water after a shipwreck. But hey! That's why there are so many different lines to choose from--something for everyone.

Archived