Barcelona questions

Sailing on the Millennium May 2005. Has anyone stayed at the Rialto pre-cruise? Trying to make a decision between it and the Grand Havana Hotel (which is more expensive). Also, is it better to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then hotel to pier rather than take the ship's transfer. Which is cheaper? More convenient? You cruisers are sooo knowledgeable! I look forward to your advice. Thanks

I can't speak to your hotel question (we always stay at the Colon),,but regarding transfers I strongly recommend avoiding any cruise line transfers. You will find Barcelona taxis clean, fast, and always cheaper than transfers. The approximate price from the airport into the hotel areas is about $25 (a taxi can easily handle two plus baggage. From the hotels to the pier should be no more than $5 or $6. Besides saving money, we have always found taxis to be a lot faster than bus transfers. While passengers are sitting on their buses waiting for a full load, we are usually well on our way to our destination.

Hank

Has anyone stayed at the Rialto pre-cruise? Trying to make a decision between it and the Grand Havana Hotel (which is more expensive).
If I may, from personal experience, go with the Gran Havana. My wife and I stayed there in late Sept. '01, and were captivated by the hotel. I wouldn't think the three years since have tarnished the place. Great style, beautiful rooms, an elegant, "boutique-y" feel, and a terrific location.

It's a short walk to Las Ramblas, and convenient to everything in Barcelona (which is a great city!).

Do enjoy your stay...

We were on Millie 6/04 and stayed at the Gran Hotel Havana. We enjoyed it very much. The a/c worked well, which is important to my DH and they had a free buffet breakfast that was very good. We had gotten our hotel throught the cruise line (am sure we paid a premium), but we really just wanted the convenience of them doing the work since we had never been to Europe. It was well located and we walked to the Sagrada Famille (spelling) from the hotel, then caught the metro from there to Parc Guell (spelling), then the metro back to Las Rambles to walk to the Gothic area, then walked back to the hotel. Because we had made our air and hotel reservations with the cruiseline, our transfers were included. Again, yes, this probably was the most expensive way to do things, but when I looked for flights on my own, the prices were very similiar. As someone else said, getting your own taxi would probably be quicker and cheaper from airport and to the pier.

You will certainly enjoy Millie. It has been my favorite cruise yet and still get a fuzzy warm feeling everytime I think about it.:D

Happy Sailing!

Guest Crazeecat5

Just returned from our Splendour cruise. We did a 2 night pre cruise at the Hotel Majestic. It was a fabulous hotel. Great room with air conditioning, lovely buffet breakfast and that rooftop view. Wow! Highly recommend this hotel.

Sheryl

I've also heard great things about the Hotel Majestic. I've had two different couples recommend this place. From what I've seen on the internet, it looks beautiful plus it's in a great location (and how lovely is it to be able to enjoy a view AND swim from the rooftop). It's a bit pricey though.

But if we are able to find a good rate through priceline or expedia, we will probably stay at this hotel. Only because this will be a special trip for us (our 2nd year wedding anniversary) and we want something romantic. But if we were just wanting to stay at a decent hotel for just sleeping at night, I would choose a less expensive hotel.

In July, we stayed at the Best Western Regina, half a block west of the Placa Catalunya. It is a 4 * and I got it off the Best Western website for 110 euros ( took a while for the price to come down). Recently refurbished, the A/C worked extremely well and the rate included full, not continental, breakfast, including bottled water.

The location is the top reason I chose this hotel: walking distance to Gaudi's houses and Las Ramblas as well as the metro for the trip to Parc Guell.

Just returned from our Splendour cruise. We did a 2 night pre cruise at the Hotel Majestic. It was a fabulous hotel. Great room with air conditioning, lovely buffet breakfast and that rooftop view. Wow! Highly recommend this hotel.

Sheryl

Sheryl,

We are going to have Pre Cruise in Hotel Majestic as well .You mentioned ,lovely buffet breakfast ???Is it included with the hotel package or we have to pay for it seperately?Thanks for your reply.

Kim:) :) :)

Archived