Another tipping poll

steveaaaa

Should tipping be based onthe catagory chosen  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Should tipping be based onthe catagory chosen

• Yes,the more expensive the catagory,the larger the tip
    • Yes,but limited to suite passengers only
    • No, they all should be the same
    • They should just be included in the fare.

Since the seperation of classes is becoming more prevelent with even reserved show seating being given to Suite passengers on other lines,should'nt the tipping be more for a more expensive catagory?

Why should an inside catagory pay the same tips as a suite twice in size?Is there not more for the steward to clean?

Steve

I'll jump in here. I think they should be the same for everyone regardless of the category of cabin booked. Everyone should expect a basic minimum of service equal to everyone else. OTOH, I really wouldn't mind if they just added the tips on to the cruise fare. The amount is really so minimal that it shouldn't break anyone's budget to have that little bit added to the fare. If it does, they need to save longer! ;)

I voted for they should be the same; there is price discrimination already in place for the kind of cabin booked and thus the inherent benefits.

However, there should be no discrimination for service. I can see employees catering a section accordingly, but maybe not. I think it’s important that the actual position of room stewards is protected in that price across the board. I always tip more than the 10 per day and sometimes get the extra service.

That said, a concierge (new position) could be created for any guests if requested and thus a higher fee with expected tip can apply.

Thus you could have an inside room and request concierge, which then increases the price of the room and thus adds an extra block of tip for that service.

Okay I was the only one that said the bigger the room, the bigger the tip. Whoever said the smaller room is messier than the larger - I disagree. I'll have one of the tidiest, yet cheapest, smallest, inside cabins you ever saw. The steward should tip ME. :D

That being said, a suite has more stuff to do every day. More floor to vacuum. More bathroom to clean. Sofa pillows to fluff. French poodles to groom. I could go on and on. Therefore, they should pay more tip.

Now shut your poodle up. I'm trying to sleep down on the Riviera deck.

(I'M NOT BITTER.)

Since the seperation of classes is becoming more prevelent with even reserved show seating being given to Suite passengers on other lines,should'nt the tipping be more for a more expensive catagory?

Why should an inside catagory pay the same tips as a suite twice in size?

So... it sounds like you want to tip based on percentage...

And using the same logic... let's look at real estate that tends to sell based on percentage of value.

Do you really think a Realter works 33% harder selling a $600K home than a $400K home...?

I think not.

How about when a house was selling for $250K 3 years ago, and is now selling for $400K. What did they do to deserve a sudden 60% increase in their commision...? The answer is Nothing.

A flat amount for tipping is fair and equitable.

i was taught that tips are

TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE.

i've stayed in hotels and motels where a two bit tip was too much, i've been in others where a c-note wasn't enough. it doesn't matter how big or small the room is. the difference is a decision "do i live like a rock star and trash the room every night?" or "am i a civilized guest?" is there dust in the same spot on the table or was it cleaned? was my stuff "gone through" in the process?

i've eaten in greasy spoons, truck stops, tacquerias, and real 5 star restaraunts. be they cook or chef, matre 'd, or server, if the services deserved more than 15%, its on the table when i leave. if the service was worth 2-cents, it's on the table.

i've had vehicles returned after maintenence with dirty steering wheels, hand prints on the hood, green stuff on the tires, and stains on the upholstry. i've had vehicles returned that looked like they have been detailed after an oil change. who do you think got that tip?

TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE.... that's what it's all about.

is my coffee service at my room when i order it? is the pot full and hot? is my Times with it? is my prime rib juicy and cooked just right? is my lobster tough and chewy? is my pate duck, chicken or beef? did i know that? are there lots fresh towels when i get back from the beach or pool? is my shower cleaned, toilet scrubbed and clean?

i havn't decided how i will treat this issue later this year, but i assure you that i will base my TIPS - TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE

I won't be the one to do it... but what you were taught, was what I was taught, when I was taught wrong... :D

Get ready... You will be getting so slammed by many people regarding your thinking that TIPS is an acronymn.

Where's the popcorn... and I need a cocktail... let the flames begin... :D

International cruise lines are worldwide, and most have some sort of surcharge for tips. Tipping is a North American concept ignored by most of the rest of the world. Sometimes its best to accept the world's opinions than forcing a North American tradition on others. Currrently 88 percent prefer the auto-tip in one way or another.

So... it sounds like you want to tip based on percentage...

And using the same logic... let's look at real estate that tends to sell based on percentage of value.

Do you really think a Realter works 33% harder selling a $600K home than a $400K home...?

I think not.

How about when a house was selling for $250K 3 years ago, and is now selling for $400K. What did they do to deserve a sudden 60% increase in their commision...? The answer is Nothing.

A flat amount for tipping is fair and equitable.

So by your logic then you would like to do away with the 15% tip rule/custom in restaurants? What then would you consider a fair flat rate tip?

How about for a cabbie? Flat rate how?

And a REALTOR would most likely have to work harder to sell a 600K home over a 400K home cause less people could afford a 600K home. At least that is what my SIL who is a REALTOR says.

And your attempt to use inflation/appreciation to say that increased tips/commisions is unearned or not harder to earn is based on what? Your personal experience.

As far as the subject at hand if a room steward has to clean 2 rooms then the tip should be larger, not counting the bathroom. Only cause this has been the custom for as long as I can remember.

i've stayed in hotels and motels where a two bit tip was too much, i've been in others where a c-note wasn't enough. it doesn't matter how big or small the room is. the difference is a decision "do i live like a rock star and trash the room every night?" or "am i a civilized guest?" is there dust in the same spot on the table or was it cleaned? was my stuff "gone through" in the process?

i've eaten in greasy spoons, truck stops, tacquerias, and real 5 star restaraunts. be they cook or chef, matre 'd, or server, if the services deserved more than 15%, its on the table when i leave. if the service was worth 2-cents, it's on the table.

i've had vehicles returned after maintenence with dirty steering wheels, hand prints on the hood, green stuff on the tires, and stains on the upholstry. i've had vehicles returned that looked like they have been detailed after an oil change. who do you think got that tip?

TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE.... that's what it's all about.

is my coffee service at my room when i order it? is the pot full and hot? is my Times with it? is my prime rib juicy and cooked just right? is my lobster tough and chewy? is my pate duck, chicken or beef? did i know that? are there lots fresh towels when i get back from the beach or pool? is my shower cleaned, toilet scrubbed and clean?

i havn't decided how i will treat this issue later this year, but i assure you that i will base my TIPS - TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE

No flames here !!!!:D

I'm going to throw my opinion into the mix. This poster is right when they say that TIPS means "to insure proper service". I've been in the restaurant business for almost 30 years, The only problem with the meaning of "tips" is that would mean you have to tip at the beginning of your cruise or service to insure that. But 99.9% of the people don't do that.

But when the service is above board, then reward the person who made your stay enjoyable with an extra tip at the end. Most service industry people depend on tips for their income. A smart steward or foodserver knows that and will bend over backwards to get you anything you want or need.

Most people that cruise are not pigs and keep there rooms in order. But that steward cleans your room and attends to your requests twice a day, then I feel that $3.00 or 3.50 per day is not that much. Can you get someone to clean your house twice a day for that amount? I doubt it!!

Also can you go out to a 4 star restaurant 3 times a day and only leave that server at total of $3.00 or $3.50 per day? You may be able to do that for breakfast but by lunch then know you and you will get the service that your tip reflected.

So let those people know when they do a good job!! It can be an extra tip at the end or a phone calling card. Both of them will be greatly appreciated by the people who serve you. :D

And a REALTOR would most likely have to work harder to sell a 600K home over a 400K home cause less people could afford a 600K home. At least that is what my SIL who is a REALTOR says.

I have many realter brokers in my family... and they all laugh how they have received undue raises do to the inflation of housing. They say, "what other field can you work in that gives you 20% raises in a year".

And it is not any harder selling a $600K home than a $400K home than it is selling a $900k home. If your SIL says that it is... she's probably not a very good Realter. Folks in my family have no problem selling 40 of 50 houses in a year each. Price is not a factor. It's marketing.:cool:

My point is, $10 per person per day has been determined by Carnival... and really nearly all of the cruiselines... that this is a fair amount to tip.

It's not our job to judge Carnival if this is fair... it's our job just to have fun on a cruise ship. Let Carnival run their ships... and you and I should only have to decide when we want our next cocktail, or what we are going to have for a meal that day.

:confused:Well, now I am going to add my 2 cents. I say if you have problems with the $10 a day tipping, then you should stay home! I've researched a lot of vacation options, and IMHO, cruises are the best bang for the buck, and yes at end our our cruise last year, we tipped the headwaiter, assistant waiter, maitre d and our room steward extra - each one at least 4 x the amount of the $10 pre-paid gratuities. These people work their a--- off and deserve every penny! And no, I am not independently wealthy - I work hard for my income. I just think that if someone goes over and above making your vacation enjoyable then they should be compensated. Also, I am not a slob, but rather a neat freak - I would never leave crap all over for the room steward to pick up or trip over - when I am away, I always treat the space I am in as if it were my own home - can't stand clutter. I can not imagine anyone could be so cheap as to remove the pre-paid gratuites and then not tip at all, but then it takes all kinds to make the world go round. icon6.gif

Archived